K.I.S.S. my Buckets

Re: K.I.S.S. myBuckets

Pretty cool. I take it the reason you are building them all connected rather then just 6 seperate DWC buckets is because you later plan to convert it to a drip system with a pump to return the water to the res?

I am looking to make maintaining the buckets easier, via a one bucket access point. Yes I do plan to go to a recirculating type of setup later. A drip would work, but I believe it will be more of a straight up recirculation. I am leaning toward putting a 1/2" line to each bucket driven by a pump. Valves at each station to control flow. My biggest concern in my location is power outages. With this system it would be left standing in water (DWC), rather than dry as many ebb and flow type systems tend to be.

That sucks about the power outage. Of course, that means it would mess up your lighting. A lot of people use a back up generator. If you did that, then you wouldn't have to worry about lights or your drip system failing. :)

A generator would solve the issue, but no money to finance one. My idea is to build a system that will withstand the outage for a while. Go with the flow sort of, 8-12 hr tolerance should be fine. A generator is hardly stealthy as well. Battery backup could be an option I suppose. But I would rather work with it than against it. I have grown in soil and coco for those reasons. I am looking to expand and make the job easier in comparison but with the same tolerance as... I was without power for 9 hours a week or so ago, and no harm or foul. Good thing it wasn't real cold though. The bigger the grow, the bigger the loss to suffer if all goes south.

hey smokz, I found a HUGE brand new solar panel (1250 bucks new) for 250 bucks on craigslist last year, if someone could do something similar and get a battery and inverter then it could serve as a decent sized backup generator that wouldn't make a sound :). Hard part would be finding the same deal. Harbor Freight has a small 45 watt solar system for like 200 bucks or a little more that has everything needed but a battery. Just a thought How many watts do you think the air pump and or water pump would need?

I'd have to calculate that one, but I will tend to steer away from it due to the complications of setup and another system to maintain as well at this time. Keeping it Super Simple if at all possible... K.I.S.S.

What I really need is a gen big enough for the whole ranch. Hope to get there someday then I can get reckless... :winkyface:

Project Update:

I decided to add the recirculation fitting to the buckets. Originally was going to add later but decided, what the heck why I had it apart. We all know once you get growing we tend to resist tearing down to make a mod. Now I can forge ahead or finish later just by adding a pump and supply line. Valves to control flow as well. At this point let's add these components to the bucket list as it were....:high-five:

20121212_164202.jpg

Install like this... fitting is 90 degrees off from the drain. Elbow is inside to direct feed down into bucket and not at roots. I push the elbow all the way in to allow for a hose connection of the other side. This is joined with another elbow with the shortest possible piece of hose, yet fully seated. I make all buckets the same so they are interchangeable in position. Be sure to swing the bail handle to the other side prior to install, else it become trapped.

20121212_162911.jpg

Inside you can see the elbow pointing down into the bucket.

20121212_162946.jpg

Had a thought today as well, thinking I could possible plumb that elbow to an aeroponic manifold

:hmmmm: Hmmmm...

Water will always seek its own lowest level, so yes what ever you set the controller to, it will be that depth everywhere. Note I said depth not volume. NO matter what size the containers they will all be at the same level. With this in mind you want your controller and the buckets on the same level in the grow room. It's just simpler that way. Hence the reason for a controller, tend one instead of many.

Here is the completed bucket. All that is needed is an air line and stone. I more than likely will run it thru the net pot. The pic shows the drain and overflow, as well as the feed.

20121212_212847.jpg

20121212_212829.jpg

Next is the controller bucket...

Cool, I was a little confused cause someone was talking somewhere about running a water pump on timer intervals, that got me thinking when the feeding was done that the solution would then drain out of the bucket back into a reservoir for later leaving the roots to dangle in the air and start drying out. So now I understand that the roots will be constantly submerged into the nutrient solution with air stones diffusing oxygen 24/7?

AZ, thats exactly hpw my flow n gro works. Pumps are run off a timer. inside the controller bucket there are floats that either activate or shut off the controller. The timer is what runs the pumps either pump into the buckets or pumps out back to the res.

So far looking REALLY good Smokz. I might use this to keep my mothers in. I hate growing in soil and this may be the solution I'm looking for to keep the mums hydroponically.

Thanks for the vote of confidence AK1! I am still on the fence of where this will lead. I tend to build things that are flexible and versatile. I am trying to build an expandable and adaptable system. Leaning towards the recirculation at this point. I have a couple of new pumps to choose from on the shelf. I acquired those over a year ago in anticipation of future efforts. I tend to build on the fly so I can improvise and adapt as things change. Had to stock up on fittings and such for this project.

Thanks for stopping by...
:passitleft:

With my recirculation ideas, yes the buckets will always be full. To drain and refill, it would become a "flood and drain". Which is the same as "ebb and flow", or "flow and grow". Different names same system... Different ideas on control mostly. By using recirc I avoid a down and dry system in a power outage. Worst case they stand in solution till I tend otherwise. That's my story and I am sticking to it, at this time... :Namaste:

Cool, I was a little confused cause someone was talking somewhere about running a water pump on timer intervals, that got me thinking when the feeding was done that the solution would then drain out of the bucket back into a reservoir for later leaving the roots to dangle in the air and start drying out. So now I understand that the roots will be constantly submerged into the nutrient solution with air stones diffusing oxygen 24/7?

Looking good! Couple of ?'s:
- Are those net pots integrated into the lid, IE one piece or a lid with hole drilled in center and a net pot inserted?
- Does the airline going through the net pot cause problems mid grow if maintenance or clean out needs to occur?
Thanks, can't wait to see more.

Thanks...

The net pot is a one piece lid. One could easily choose to acquire a lid and cut a net pot into it as well. I just find them reasonably affordable and easy to get.

I find it convenient, no matter if the roots tangle with it or not, it moves with the plant to the next bucket change. You will see either thru the lid or the side of the bucket. I prefer the top or via the net pot for the reason stated.

I'd say it depends on how long you veg. I have no experience with T5, but based on my experience with T8 I'd say yes. DIY UC sounds enticing, I was considering that alternative, but it lacks installation flexibility for my purpose. Perhaps you can share the details on your DIY?

I'm thinking a 3 gallon bucket system is the method I like to try to veg up clones before I finish them with my DIY UC style RDWC system. Do you think I could veg SIX 3 gallon buckets under ONE 4' Eight bulb T5? or would Four be better?
Thanks Alot SmokzAlot

Back
Top Bottom