If Soil... What Size Pot? 16" diameter Pots
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 KIND LED 600watt
Is it Air Cooled? No
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 80 Degrees F
RH of Room/Cabinet? 30%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6-7.0
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? 5 Days/Extremely Dry Soil
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? I use Fox Farms Big bloom, Grow big, and Tiger Bloom. Also, CalMag from Sensi

Okay, so, This bad boy was PERFECT up until i went into flowering, a couple days before i switched to flowering, it was showing signs of what i thought was low PH.

I tried correcting this, along with what i thought was a slight Calcium Deficiency, by using 2Tblspoons of CalMag and water with a 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons of PH UP.

This subsequently destroyed my plants, and i dont know how to fix it, so im turning to my professional friends here at 420 Mag.

Does anyone know what is wrong here? or better yet, How can i fix it?
Willing to do anything/Buy whatever can help.

IMG_70998.JPG
IMG_70985.JPG
IMG_70966.JPG
IMG_70954.JPG

Can someone PLEASE Help me?

Why are they browning so quickly? Did i put in too much CalMag? I tried flushing the next water cycle, by JUST WATERING but with twice what i normally use. I let that dry out over a few days and then watered the next time with some extra water, and Fox farms Big bloom, and grow big. 1 tblspoon of both with one gallon.

Thank you for the help.

Since you gave it calmag and it didn't improve I would say it's still a pH or root problem. How are you testing your soil pH?

I'm thinking your pH is way too low because that is definitely not taking up calcium. Since you are that early in flower I would immediately flush with water 3 times the pot size. So if its a 5 gallon pot flush with NON pH'ed 12-15 gallons of water. To the last 1 gallon add 1/2 strength flower nutes with calcium pH'ed to 6.6-6.7.
I bet your symptoms stop progressing and some will slowly reverse but not all of it. I had nightmares with FFOF soil. Tested at 6.8 at the top but runoff was coming out the bottom at 5.3. Caused the same exact issue as your seeing with the same soil. Be sure after you do the flush to let her dry COMPLETELY before feeding or watering again. It will take a week give or take.
She may sag her leafs and look pissed at you for a day or so but she will love you for it soon enough.

I would do the flush now so you don't need to do it half way through flower.

@fanleaf, Thanks for the response.

I have had problems with FFOF since i started about 2 years ago. It seems like i always have a PH problem, even though the water i use is about 6.4-6.6. This was my first time adjusting the PH myself. The runoff comes in at a solid 3. I bought a Kelway PH tester for soil, and it comes up 6.6 everytime. When i water, and test the runoff it is no higher than 4.

So in my case, my flower Nutes are Fox Farms "Tiger Bloom"

Should i mix that directly with the calmag, and feed simultaneously?
Also, What did you decide to do about the FFOF issue? did you find a better soil medium?

PS. It didnt look anything like this BEFORE i added the calmag/PH up. It was looking more like a very light calcium def and more severe low PH problem. The heavy browning/ Calcium def came after i watered with Calmag/PH up.
Thanks for your help.

Fanleaf, Thanks for the response.

I have had problems with FFOF since i started about 2 years ago. It seems like i always have a PH problem, even though the water i use is about 6.4-6.6. This was my first time adjusting the PH myself. The runoff comes in at a solid 3. I bought a Kelway PH tester for soil, and it comes up 6.6 everytime. When i water, and test the runoff it is no higher than 4.

Also, What did you decide to do about the FFOF issue? did you find a better soil medium?

PS. It didnt look anything like this BEFORE i added the calmag/PH up. It was looking more like a very light calcium def and more severe low PH problem. The heavy browning/ Calcium def came after i watered with Calmag/PH up.
Thanks for your help.

Yes and yes and yes lol

What I had to do to get me through my last FF grow without losing the plant was top dress the soil with Dolomite. I actually top dressed the soil with it halfway through the flush that way the last half of the water could start to work it down into the soil. Dolomite will help but it takes a while to start to break down and work. I top dressed with that and pH'ed my FF nutes (and I used the whole FF line) with ChaChing and all of them, but I ph'ed them to 7.5 for a few times.
When you flush don't skimp on it. 3X the pot capacity for real. Yes you can feed calmag with your regular nutes however you may want to foliar feed some calmag to get it into her system quicker. To foliar feed her mix up 1tsp of calmag in a quart of water, add 1 drop of non toxic dish soap. It acts like a wetting agent and the leafs can take it in easier. Then 1/2 hour before lights on or 1/2 hour before lights off put your mix in a sprayer that sprays a good fine mist and completely spray every leaf on your plant. Take extra care to spray the underside of all of the leafs too because that's where most of the leafs stomata are at.
Do that a few times over the week your letting her dry out from the flush.

Yes, I ditched the FF soil all together. I now use Promix HP and never ever ever looked back. I'm also using advanced pH perfect nutes and since the switch I have never once needed my pH pen again. You can check a few of my grows in my signature below if you want. I never need a pH pen at all.

BTW
One thing you can do if you want to try to stick with FFOF soil in the future is;

Add a few tablespoons of Dolomite lime to the soil per pot and mix the soil before potting
Add 20% coarse perlite to your soil and mix. If your using a 5 gallon pot 1 gallon of perlite mixed with 4 gallons of soil.
Be sure to never water the plants when theres ANY water weight in the pot. Let them go dry before watering. I believe with some batches of FF soil this is more critical. I think if there are wet spots anywhere in the soil that always stay wet that maybe the Peat breaks down and starts rotting which will cause pH to drop.

FFOF has been known for this to happen sometimes.

By the way. I'm gonna rep you up about 250 rep points for 2 reasons.

Number 1 is because you asked for help by first providing all of your details. That shows that you know how to read and have done so.
Number 2 is because I know and fully understand the fight with pH you are having and unfortunately you will need to fight it the rest of the way through but you will have some good times when things seem to chill and go right for a while through flower. But if it goes like my FF history you will probably have to flush at least 1 more time during flower and maybe 2 more times which totally sucks but you are having the same exact issue in the same exact time and way that I did. I still managed 7oz finished though it was a huge fight all the way through.

rep's to you man!

Thank you fanleaf!

I did exactly what you said regarding the flush and feed. I think this will be my last batch of FF medium.
I appreciate the rep as well.
Hopefully this will be my last problem with PH
I'm going to look into Promix and some new nutes :)
Ill post again in about a week with an update!

Thank you again!

You should probably notice the symtoms slowed down by now since your flush. Your plant should be able to uptake some nutrients now until your soil pH crashes again. I know this may sound wacky but you may end up needing to feed at a pH over 7 because it will probably start to fall again after a while. Update? I'm sure she's still wet from the flush though.

Yeah she's still wet from the flush, a couple days until I can water again. The symptoms didn't necessarily slow down but it is still hanging on. Unfortunately, It's just starting to have an effect on the newly forming buds.

I had went to my local Hydro store, since I was in mid germination of my next girl. I picked up some Promix HP like you mentioned, and with that I had some advice on what else could possibly be causing it. He agreed it could be the PH, but he also mentioned to me, that I should be de-chlorinating my water before watering. While I was there, I picked up a 5-gal bucket, and some PH perfect nutrients from Advanced Nutrients, as well as a Fabulous 4-pack (Voodoo juice, piranha, tarantula, bud candy). He said the chlorine might be affecting the stability of the soil, by killing all the good bacteria the plant needs.

He said the flush advice you gave me was exactly what he would've done, as well as giving some extra cal mag with it. The only thing he said is, if you're flushing with chlorinated water, you might be doing more harm then good. So I've had my 5-gal filled for a day now and next time I water I'll use that standing water that will, so I've been told, dechlorinate itself over a 24 hour period.

Once I water next, I'll water some extra, use my new PH perfect nutes and some bacteria stabilizers. :)

I wanted to take your advice on the medium and the nutrients, because you really opened my eyes on FFOF! I mentioned I was having ph problems with it, and all the employees said that's very common.

so a follow up question for you.. Do you use the connoisseur nutrients by Advanced Nutrients?

I will post some pictures in the upcoming week after I give it the next water/feed.

Thanks for checking in. :)

Yeah she's still wet from the flush, a couple days until I can water again. The symptoms didn't necessarily slow down but it is still hanging on. Unfortunately, It's just starting to have an effect on the newly forming buds.

I had went to my local Hydro store, since I was in mid germination of my next girl. I picked up some Promix HP like you mentioned, and with that I had some advice on what else could possibly be causing it. He agreed it could be the PH, but he also mentioned to me, that I should be de-chlorinating my water before watering. While I was there, I picked up a 5-gal bucket, and some PH perfect nutrients from Advanced Nutrients, as well as a Fabulous 4-pack (Voodoo juice, piranha, tarantula, bud candy). He said the chlorine might be affecting the stability of the soil, by killing all the good bacteria the plant needs.

He said the flush advice you gave me was exactly what he would've done, as well as giving some extra cal mag with it. The only thing he said is, if you're flushing with chlorinated water, you might be doing more harm then good. So I've had my 5-gal filled for a day now and next time I water I'll use that standing water that will, so I've been told, dechlorinate itself over a 24 hour period.

Once I water next, I'll water some extra, use my new PH perfect nutes and some bacteria stabilizers. :)

I wanted to take your advice on the medium and the nutrients, because you really opened my eyes on FFOF! I mentioned I was having ph problems with it, and all the employees said that's very common.

so a follow up question for you.. Do you use the connoisseur nutrients by Advanced Nutrients?

I will post some pictures in the upcoming week after I give it the next water/feed.

Thanks for checking in. :)
Oh gosh
I didnt realize you were using chlorinated water. I would have surely talked about that. I use the Sensi series. If you go to the Advanced nutrient site and click on their nutrient schedule and calculator its awesome.
If you go there and click the calculator and in the box select Sensi Grow. Then you enter your Reservoir size. For using soil or soiless like promix HP all you do is either in gallons to liters
The amount that you will be feeding the plant. Such as if you are mixing up 2 gallons of food for your plant just put in 15 liters or 2 gallons and it will tell you how much of each nutrient to add to the water. A long time ago I had taken some advice and tried to modify their nutrients schedule a little bit and I found the results quite amazing so I will tell you what I do. Usually with soil or soilless you give plain water in between feedings right? But instead go ahead and calculate your nutrient schedule and then cut the amount of nutrients in half. And then never give just water throughout your grow but instead you're feeding at half strength every time the plant dries out. I have found that with advanced nutrients that works amazingly well. Like I said the ones I use are the Sensi series and I'm not sure if that's the ones you got or not. But if you go to their schedule one more time and this time enter Sensi bloom then you can select your grower level depending on how many of their sets of nutrients you are using along with the base nutrients. I use the Grand Master Level. You will have absolutely fantastic results and never need to worry about your pH pen again once you start using them. If you have any questions at all about how to use that Nutrient calculator or four little tips and tricks with using their nutrients just ask anytime or send me a private message and I would be glad to help you out. There base nutrients and an add-on pack like you got is really not very expensive because it'll last you a long time. I will say though if you go with every level through the Grand Master Level like I do it does get expensive at that point but what a lot of people don't realize is if you buy the one liter bottles they last the entire grow for many many plants and honestly the headache that it saves makes them Priceless in my book.

Sent from my android from outer space!

I just seen that looks like you're using the connoisseur line. It's really almost identical to what I use being the Sensi series. Most of the addons are identical. You will be very happy.

I just seen that looks like you're using the connoisseur line. It's really almost identical to what I use being the Sensi series. Most of the addons are identical. You will be very happy.

Fanleaf, i just want to say thank you for all the effort you're putting in to help me! :circle-of-love:

Small Update: The flush has dried, and this morning, i flushed with 5 Gallons of non-chlorinated water, and used a 6th gallon for my nutes.

I Used the nutrient calculator you described, It was a little tricky to understand, so i hope i had done it right.

This is what i did:

For 1 gallon of water ( aside from the 5 i flushed with )

i added 1 fluid ounce (since i'm working with gallons)
of:
connoisseur bloom part A
connoisseur bloom part B
Sensi Cal/Mag extra
VooDoo Juice
Piranha
Tarantula

The Nutrient calculator was, so i think, telling me to add about 1.75 Fluid ounces of those nutrients (other than the cal/mag, that was my decision)

So i decided to almost Half-strength it, like you said, and added just 1 FL OZ of all the above.
She's actually doing better than i last told you since the dry soil came about. In Less than a week i will take more photos and upload them to show you what she's coming around to.

Either way, your information has been tremendously helpful and i will thank you for days to come! especially harvest :high-five:

:thanks::thanks:

Fanleaf, i just want to say thank you for all the effort you're putting in to help me! :circle-of-love:

Small Update: The flush has dried, and this morning, i flushed with 5 Gallons of non-chlorinated water, and used a 6th gallon for my nutes.

I Used the nutrient calculator you described, It was a little tricky to understand, so i hope i had done it right.

This is what i did:

For 1 gallon of water ( aside from the 5 i flushed with )

i added 1 fluid ounce (since i'm working with gallons)
of:
connoisseur bloom part A
connoisseur bloom part B
Sensi Cal/Mag extra
VooDoo Juice
Piranha
Tarantula

The Nutrient calculator was, so i think, telling me to add about 1.75 Fluid ounces of those nutrients (other than the cal/mag, that was my decision)

So i decided to almost Half-strength it, like you said, and added just 1 FL OZ of all the above.
She's actually doing better than i last told you since the dry soil came about. In Less than a week i will take more photos and upload them to show you what she's coming around to.

Either way, your information has been tremendously helpful and i will thank you for days to come! especially harvest :high-five:

:thanks::thanks:

I'm a USA guy myself and deal in gallons/ounces but I have adapted to what I think is the easiest way to get the schedule down. Heres what I do.

I use a syringe to add my nutes to my water and I assume it will be easiest for you to do the same. The syringes deal in milliliters which even though I'm a USA guy I like because its easy and very accurate to measure nutes by milliliter ya know.

So here is how I adapted the schedule to be the easiest for me.

I make 2 schedules and print them out when I'm finished so I have them in my grow room. I make a half strength schedule for 1 gallon of water and also a half strength chart for 5 gallons of water.

So looking at your nutes it would be like this if you want to follow along with 2 tabs open. One here and one tab on the calculator.

So the only thing you ever have to remember is that there are 3.78 liters in 1 gallon ok?

Lets do my way on a 1 gallon flowering schedule but lets leave the reservoir Size in metric and put in not 3.78 which is full strength at 1 gallon but lets put in 1.89 liters which is a half gallon. That will give you the half strength for 1 gallon. Let's also set the grow level to the grand master level just encase you ever add more of the lineup.

So to mix up 1 gallon at half strength now you can print the schedule and it should say;

Base Nutrients

Week 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6FlushTotal
Connoisseur Bloom A7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL-45.36 mL
Connoisseur Bloom B7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL7.56 mL-45.36 mL
Hobbyist Level
Voodoo Juice3.78 mL3.78 mL-----7.56 mL
Big Bud-3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL---11.34 mL
B-52--3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-15.12 mL
Overdrive----3.78 mL3.78 mL-7.56 mL
Expert Grower Level
Piranha3.78 mL3.78 mL-----7.56 mL
Bud Candy3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-22.68 mL
Flawless Finish------3.78 mL3.78 mL
Professional Grower Level
Tarantula3.78 mL3.78 mL-----7.56 mL
Nirvana--3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-15.12 mL
Sensizym3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-22.68 mL
Grand Master Grower Level
Bud Ignitor3.78 mL3.78 mL-----7.56 mL
Rhino Skin3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-22.68 mL
Bud Factor X3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL3.78 mL-22.68 mL

That's your 1 gallon chart

Now lets figure out how any liters are in 2.5 gallons so we can get a half strength chart for mixing up 5 gallons
3.78 X 2.5= 9.45 liters

So just change the reservoir size to 9.45 liters which is 2.5 gallons to give you half strength at 5 gallons.
Here is your half strength 5 gallon mix. Now you can use a syringe with a short tube attached to the tip to very accurately measure your nutes in mL the way I like to. You may not but I love to do it this way.

Base NutrientsWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6FlushTotal
Connoisseur Bloom A37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL-226.8 mL
Connoisseur Bloom B37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL37.8 mL-226.8 mL
Hobbyist Level
Voodoo Juice18.9 mL18.9 mL-----37.8 mL
Big Bud-18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL---56.7 mL
B-52--18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-75.6 mL
Overdrive----18.9 mL18.9 mL-37.8 mL
Expert Grower Level
Piranha18.9 mL18.9 mL-----37.8 mL
Bud Candy18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-113.4 mL
Flawless Finish------18.9 mL18.9 mL
Professional Grower Level
Tarantula18.9 mL18.9 mL-----37.8 mL
Nirvana--18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-75.6 mL
Sensizym18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-113.4 mL
Grand Master Grower Level
Bud Ignitor18.9 mL18.9 mL-----37.8 mL
Rhino Skin18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-113.4 mL
Bud Factor X18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL18.9 mL-113.4 mL

Now you can do the same exact thing with a half strength 1 gallon veg and a 5 gallon veg and print them out as well.

You can also add weeks and take weeks off the schedule if needed for auto's and such but I just adjust on the fly anymore.

Hope that helps some:Namaste:

@Fanleaf, Thanks for the response.

Thanks for your help.

With foxfarm soil you have to add more good bacteria and food source for them to absorb to regulate soil pH.

Thanks for this as well. I am having a terrible problem with this lately myself. I seem to have got my veg plants under control and looking good again, but now it's happening to my flowering ladies and that's really gonna mess them up I think. I flushed as well before reading all of this, but I didn't de-clorinate the water, and didn't add any nutes after. I'll see what happens.

I also can't get rid of these damn fungus gnats -_-

Just make sure the run off is where you want the soil to be ph wise and adding dolomite will help a few weeks from now if they can hang but just make sure your counter balancing the ph to make run off in range and soil able to uptake because doesn't matter how much/little nutes you give them if they can't uptake it in first place

Just make sure the run off is where you want the soil to be ph wise

That often don't work at all.
When we water to get some runoff we do that to help flush left over fert's/salts that the plant didn't need or want. So usually your runoff will read a little more acidic than the actual pH of your soil because there are (or you want there to be) fert's in the runoff. Ferts= acid reading.

Also your soil pH will change as the soil drys.

Back
Top Bottom