LED distance to plants in flower/yellowing leaves?

beebop76

Hi, first time grower with 2 questions please:
1) I'm using a 300w led for 3 plants I'm a tent. Im in Day 13 of flower and dropped my lights to less than 10" since I'm reading distance to lights is critical. I am losing some of my light coverage by doing this, is it better to have a bit better coverage by highering light or keep as is? I have a grow journal going as well if that helps.
2) every 3 days when I go to water, I'm finding a considerable amount of yellow fan leaves (maybe like 7-10 on each plant)which I'm taking off. Im using oc+ for nutes and the overall plants are perfectly green and healthy. The yellow leaves are always the ones that aren't getting good light coverage. Is this normal to lose this many leaves to yellowing at this stage?
Thanks.

Properly pruning your plant throughout veg will help avoid this. You're right they're losing light down there so the plant is taking the nutrients in the bottom leaves and moving them to where they can be better utilized.

Ideally indoors you don't want light to be used for anything other then the main tops, because no artificial light can penetrate as well as the sun. Thus keeping your lower portions free of all foliage.

Thanks JJ. Couple things, so how about putting light low but losing canopy coverage? If you look at this picture (and the lights are even lower than when I took this now) you can get somewhat of an idea that the fringes of the plants arent under direct light. I can get them under direct light if I higher lights so what's more important?
IMG_18425.jpg

Also, I know many people are against removing fan leaves, so you are suggesting all the fan leaves in the middle of my plants that arent getting much light I remove? Are you sure? Thanks.

Keep your light 12-18 inches away during veg. During flower keep them 12" away.

What I'm suggesting is plan ahead of time, know the capable coverage of said-light and how many plants you can fit comfortably in that space.

Also with the leaves, I recommend switching your plants into flower very soon. I would prune (take off) the bottom 1/3 of your plant so there are no leaves at all, only branches. This will provide better air-flow for the plants, give you a better view of the top of the growing media/lower portion, and always allow your plants to focus their energy towards the top were the plant receives the most light anyway.

To grow big, quality buds we always need to minimize wasted energy and maximize the sweet spots, which would be the areas with the most light.

Edit: also try getting your clip-on fan lower so it's blowing resistance on your plants, simulate wind = stronger stems.

Back
Top Bottom