LED Guidance Needed

...I am thinking heat issues are putting folks off...

...methinks the proven side lighting and canopy penetrating properties of a multitude of lights trumps the theoretical advantage of a simulated sunrise...

...I WOULD like to have both, but would pick coverage over flashy tec...

Up until now I really haven't given that much thought about heat being an issue with LED lighting, regardless the make or model. I mean, one the main selling points about LEDs is how much they save on electricity and heat. And there's no doubt that's true. But I guess one of the most interesting points I've taken away from here is about the advantage of having lower wattage at a closer distance. The way it's explained makes total sense. But also you have to figure the manufacturers that use 5w and higher diodes must have their reasons for doing so. It would still be good to know more about that.

I appreciate your point about choosing function over form. That's the sensible way to go. But at this point I'm still in a learning curve trying to figure out the difference. :scratchinghead:

All in all, alot of really helpful info so far. :thanks:

...I should have done more of that...

...I thought I was all set twice now...

...keep in mind less heat is not no heat...

...I do not know if the Platinum lights are the ticket but some thought has gone into trying them...

...cost is a big factor for me but I do realize it is not a mater of getting what you pay for so much as paying for what you get...

Absolutely! Many people don't consider heat aspects when they buy their first panel.. and it comes back to bite them. We all know that LEDs run cool but many people don't realize that the 5w diodes do indeed get hot.. VERY HOT.. as the wattage increases.

The direct temperature difference between a 5w based panel and a 3w based panel is about 10-15 degrees.. and this range can make or break you when you're talking about the difference of going from 78 degree to 92 degrees. Anything above 90 in the grow room is not a good thing!!

Hey Platinum
I absolutely realize there is a correlation between wattage and heat output. But compared to HIDs, I just never realized heat would be a significant concern with LEDs, even with >3w. Thanks for that.

I do have another question going back to the use of multiple panels. If that were to be done using your lights, can they be daisy chained? If so, do you offer the connecting cord? I'm not seeing that as one of the features in your product description, but thought I'd ask anyway. Not a deal breaker one way or the other. Just good knowing what to expect.

...thank you for trying to clarify this issue...

...Lush is making some pretty stout claims in regards to pentetration and some of the photos posted on their thread seem to bear them out but I cannot really see any difference in your lights...

I found this whilst researching the subject myself as I can't find definitive answers on the direct replacement for a 600w HPS in a 2 x 2 tent - I am considering two P300s, but comments in this thread suggest that this arrangement in a 2 x 4 tent is borderline overkill!

2000umol/m2/s = 9800FC = 1060W/m2 = 106000LUX

I found this whilst researching the subject myself as I can't find definitive answers on the direct replacement for a 600w HPS in a 2 x 2 tent - I am considering two P300s, but comments in this thread suggest that this arrangement in a 2 x 4 tent is borderline overkill!

2000umol/m2/s = 9800FC = 1060W/m2 = 106000LUX

source; Light measurement

I'm thinking if you've been successful at running a 600w HPS in a 2x2...then you probably don't need to be too worried about overkill in this case.

I've been thinking; I tried a couple of plants on 12/12 from seed, and whilst they produced OK, the buds were not as solid as the plants that had been veg'd, which I guess is down to the lack of blue light from an HPS...

...so, with a full spectrum LED, I guess 12/12 from seed would get around that problem?

I've pulled 1.8 ounces from a 12/12 plant in a 20cm x 20cm x 25cm pot, so if I could tighten up the nugs, I'd do another round of 12/12s :Namaste:

Just wanted to post a follow-up with a few comments and a question. First of all, I'm not a sponsored user of these lights so I have no incentive for bias. Secondly, this is only my second grow...so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. My first grow was with 600w HID, in a DWC using General Hydroponics for nutes. This go-round I'm using the two P300s, growing in coco fiber and feeding with Advanced Nutrients (not inexpensive).

One of the differences I've noticed is that the growth rate this time seems a little slower than during my first grow. However, I can't rule out the different grow media (DWC vs coco) as being the limiting factor for that. The other thing I noticed is that under the LEDs the plants are not as tall compared my previous grow. But...they are bushier. The foliage seems more lush and dense. Much of that is attributed to topping and FIMing. But, I did that on the previous grow too. So, I can only assume that the shorter and more dense growth stature is due to the difference in lighting. Apparently the plants don't need to stretch as much to get the light they need. So more of their energy goes into developing foliage, as evidenced by all the trimming back I've had to do to ensure adequate light penetration. But I figure that's a good problem to have. As far as comparing the growth results between lights, I think the LEDs have the edge so far. I am very impressed. But the proof will be in the pudding after harvest. Will let you know then.

I have three plants...(Northern Lights, WW x Big Bud, and Critical+). The girls look very happy and healthy. Just started 12/12 this past weekend after five weeks of veg. After four days into flower I'm already seeing the change...which brings me to my question. For the first two weeks of veg, I only used the veg spectrum. For the remaining three weeks I used full spectrum, which I assume is what I should continue to use during the flowering phase. But that's where I'm a little fuzzy.

So my question is about the proper use of the available spectrums during flower. Do you go all out and use the full spectrum up until harvest? Or is there any time during the flower phase that only the red spectrum should be utilized? Advice is appreciated.

Finally, for those of you who celebrate it...Happy Thanksgiving.

Take whatever money you were about to spend on a fancy light and use it to buy Mars hydro lights instead. They are so much cheaper that the extra wattage from having much more powerful panels for your dollars will be better no matter the tiny differences in spectrum and so on...

I just purchased a 600. I have some seedlings doing well, going to be 3 weeks next week. Should I have just blues on or have both red and blues on them? Thanks

I use the "veg" mode only during the first couple of weeks or so. By around three weeks you should be able to use full spectrum. No problem. Just not up too close. I'd start out a couple of feet away at first. If they stretch too much lower it a little. Your gonna love this light. :thumb:

I use the "veg" mode only during the first couple of weeks or so. By around three weeks you should be able to use full spectrum. No problem. Just not up too close. I'd start out a couple of feet away at first. If they stretch too much lower it a little. Your gonna love this light. :thumb:

You guys are awesome, thank you for the advice. I just got a Mars 1600 as well. When you say full spectrum, do you mean both red and blue turned on? Would you have both turned on for flower as well if so?

You guys are awesome, thank you for the advice. I just got a Mars 1600 as well. When you say full spectrum, do you mean both red and blue turned on? Would you have both turned on for flower as well if so?

Yes that's exactly what I mean by full spectrum. Run it with the veg and flower modes on together. Leave it on full spectrum throughout the entire flower period until they're ready for harvest. The only thing that will change is the photo period when you switch to flower.

An easier way to compare would be what you can get for the same dollars. For example a p300 is $450 delivered to North America.
It draws 180w for $450. If you spent $435 at Mars Hydro that would get you a Mars 2 1200 which draws 550w. So maybe the expensive light might have slightly better par per watt, or slightly better brands of diode, or be a few percent more efficient, but one of them still has more than three times the power of the other one for slightly less money. Three times the light is going to produce a lot more yield.
Or if you are into saving the $450 delivered p300 could be replaced with Mars 2 400 (185w) for $189 delivered, you are spending almost two and a half times as much.

As for longevity, only time will tell but not worth the huge cost difference up front.

Home that helps others pic and we can only hope some of the overpriced companies will lower prices to be more competitive.

Back
Top Bottom