LED Review 300W & 450W

re: LED Review 300W & 450W

Makes no sense what you said....But no worries....thankyou

I'm surprised there aren't more Platinum supporters chiming in here. I think it's a popular light among many 420Mag members. They are also a site sponsor. I just ordered the P300 for a 2'X3' flowering cabinet. The Platinum website says it covers a 4.5' by 3.8' area and has a PAR output of 1015 umol at 18" above the canopy. This should be plenty of light for a good harvest in this sized cabinet. I know more light equals a larger harvest but at some point you don't need more light to max out the grow space in the confines of a small cabinet. Cost is also a factor when talking about larger lights.

I have a Kind LED K300 that I used for my last harvest (veg and flower) in a 15"X 25" locker and it was plenty of light for this small grow area. I plan to keep the K300 in the smaller cabinet for Veg and use the new Platinum P300 in the larger cabinet for flower. I have a LUX meter so will be able to test the output from both lights in the middle of my grow area and at the edges. I know LUX is not a perfect measure but both lights should have very similar spectrum profiles so using LUX should be an ok measure. Depending on the LUX results I get, I'll decide which light to use for veg and which to use for flower.

I do really like that the Platinum is select-able between veg and bloom. If I decide to use the P300 for veg it will save me a few watts. The P300 is narrower than the K300 so it might actually do better in the smaller cabinet from a coverage standpoint. Both lights should be able to cover the entire grow area in the 2'X3' cabinet, but I'm expecting the P300 to have more output than the K300 for flower. If not or the coverage of the P300 isn't good enough for the larger cabinet I'll switch them around. Unless the P300 is a stronger light for flower, it does make sense to use the P300 for veg at the lower wattage in the smaller cabinet and move the K300 to the flower cabinet.

The P300 is about $220 less expensive than my current light, so if the results are as advertised it's a great buy.

My new P300 light comes tomorrow. I'll let you guys know where I decide to hang the lights after doing some testing.

Sharky
:peace:

I'm surprised there aren't more Platinum supporters chiming in here.

Possibly because it seems like several of the "nay sayers" are simply trolls trying to get a rise.
They appear to be "new avs" created just to continue their bashing without using their old av names.

It is possible that some, including myself are right in the middle of trying the Platinum lights and are waiting to see the outcome. If my Platinum lights don’t at least equal what a comparable Mars light will do. I will definitely switch brands. I am doing Autos and they quite often are sluggish the first month then take off. So the next month should give me a good idea how things might turn out.
To be honest I haven’t really seen much input from Platinum LED lately.

[/QUOTE] ...is Sara said they would be using cree which is brand name, so if in fact they are using cree diodes and not just saying it, they should be decent LED fixtures, but I bet the price point will be a bit more
[/QUOTE]

Most Cree bulbs I have seen are 5w diodes. 5w will be brighter than 3w for sure, but they put out more heat and use more power. Most lights I have seen use mostly 3w Bridgelux diodes and throw in just a few 5w Cree's.

Jismo420: I would like to make my own lights but I am really at a loss of where to start. I cant help believe that if they were a snap to whip together there would be more people doing it.

Sorry, messed up my quotes function, but...

[JISMO SAID]
Not necessarily true about the power = heat thing, I have seen one fixture put out 4 x as much par at 2 3rds that wattage, the technology is all over the place and it will get worse as premium tech comes down in price and China continues to pump out the old cheap technology. The 5 watt chips will use more power but they will be more efficient which means higher PAR and less heat which means you require a lower number of chips to perform the same function. .[/QUOTE]

Please show me the data for a 5w diode that puts out less heat than a 3w diode. More watts means more heat. You can argue over PAR/watt because there are optics and light design and other factors involved. This is how I measure efficiency, the amount of output I get per amount of input, P/W. I don't believe there is a 5w diode that runs cooler than a 3w.

I have high hopes on my P300's, but at this point it is still inconclusive if they are equal to a 400 watt HID in light intensity.
I would also say a P300 is good for about 2x3 in effective grow area. For my use that is enough. I just hope that it is capable to grow plants within that area. If not then I wasted my money on the wrong lights. If these lights don’t pan out I will use them to starting seedlings etc and revert back to HID.

300 you'd think would be struggling, 450 would have been better...

Platinum fanboy here. Much prefer my P's over my Mars. They run cooler and have a larger band of spectrum covered. I fully support and endorse Platinum lights.

So after 1 months I can definitely tell that the a.Excellent spectrum B.High production of Tircomim very high :) c . The plant looking good . D. Small coverage area Than the manufacturer claims

I own and have tried: Platinum, Twilight & Mars.

The P450 is much better than the Mars. The Twilight Spider4 was decent.

I understand your frustration with the advertising. A P450 is good for a 3' x 3' space. I have 4x4 tents and the P450 is just not enough. It definitely doesn't outperform my 600w HPS.

I own and have tried: Platinum, Twilight & Mars.

The P450 is much better than the Mars. The Twilight Spider4 was decent.

I understand your frustration with the advertising. A P450 is good for a 3' x 3' space. I have 4x4 tents and the P450 is just not enough. It definitely doesn't outperform my 600w HPS.
hi :) Meanwhile I added another 400hps with the p450 and I'm Waiting for the Mars reflector 96x3 I hope it will blow my tent ;) what Mars did you tried?

Hi Guys, I said I would let you guys know where I decide to place my lights after doing some testing. Following is a review/comparison I wrote and submitted to Amazon (where I purchased my P300). It's a nice light guys, and it's bright. I am happy to send the actual spreadsheet of the testing if anyone is interested. I summarize the results in the review below.

======
Just bought the P300 and did some testing along with my Kind Led K300 so thought I would share my findings. My test was by no means perfect. I used a LUX meter, not a PAR meter, but since I used the same methodology for both products the data should be comparable. Platinum sent me their newer model which is grey and has the standard 3-prong outlet adapter. It's not the model pictured on Amazon, it's the newer model.

The P300 is brighter right under the canopy and to the right and left of center to about 8" to 10" out. At 16" to the right and left of center the K300 starts to do a little better. The biggest discrepancy between the lights was to the front and back of center. The P300 is 4" longer but is also 2" narrower than the K300, so it does not do nearly as well dispersing light the short direction. The difference is pretty huge. My K300 provides significantly more Lumen coverage toward the front and back of my grow area. Makes sense right? It's wider.

In my specific case this is fine because I do have a very narrow cabinet, it's 15" by 24". The P300 is absolutely perfect for this cabinet. Plus I can run the P300 light in veg mode and save a few dollars on power. Not an option with the K300.

Overall the P300 is a really nice light It's well built, attractive, and bright. The Lumen output is really good considering the P300 is $200+ cheaper than the K300. I think the Platinum P450 is probably a better 1-to-1 comparison with the K300 from both a price and coverage standpoint and the P450 has 50% more diodes than the K300, so the P450 would probably blow away the K300 using the same testing I did above.

Both the K300 and P300 are good lights. I'll just use each where they will be most effective for me. The lumen output for the price is outstanding on the P300, my only concern would be light coverage in the short direction.

Sharky
:peace:

Weedgrower I hope you got everything worked out with PlatinumLED I have a p600 in a 4x4 no it doesn't cover the whole area and the core coverage is smaller than what is on the sight but you plants are still getting good usable light. I am sorry you had a bad Experiance. The height of the light has a lot to do with things. I read the light scorched your plants. It sounds like it was to close raising the light will give you better coverage LED lights don't have to be right on top of the plants right now I am running my light about 27" above my canopy to get the coverage I want and still have good penetration

Hi, what the size of your room?
What model you have?
I turned to them with some problems,in Some of the questions they helped me a lot, Regarding the coverage area They completely ignored.
So before you write a comment bitching About someone you do not know.... ;)
I think it's great led , just not strong as the company claims,

I assume English isn't your first language, so I understand if what you wrote seems a bit aggressive.

I have the p450, and P300 models. All the information about my grow, is in my grow journal. Which is clearly marked in my signature. If you really cared about the answers to your question, you would have checked it out. Instead, you sarcastically tossed it out there.

When I initially got my Platinum LED's, I never thought a lot about coverage. Until I talked to a member of this forum in a PM, and he mentioned it as his concern with LED's in general.

Coverage is very important when it comes to growing, especially growing in larger spaces.

The problem is how people approach buying LED's. You need to come into the buying process already thinking the coverage is not as good as a HID. It isn't, for any LED's regardless of if they sell for greenhouses like the Spyder systems, or homes like PLED, MARS and so forth.

The LED lights that have really good coverage are the EXCEPTION to the rule.

When purchasing an LED, if you can't find information on the coverage, assume it is not that good.

That is where you went wrong. You bought an expensive LED, then asked about coverage. That is YOUR mistake, not the companies.

Now onto the lights themselves.

The Coverage is not that good with PlatinumLED's. It is roughly the same as MARs LED lights. Where PlatinumLED does well, is the amount of light it can produce under the LEDs, and slightly around. Which is superior to almost all equivalent wattage LED's on the market for personal growing.

My advice for anyone buying from PlatinumLED or really, ANY LED company that does not have proof of their coverage area. Is to purchase multiple smaller wattage lights, as opposed to a larger, more expensive higher wattage one. This will allow you to have fantastic coverage, the same total wattage, and less intensity over each bud so you won't have to worry about light bleaching (another issue with all LED's ATM).

I can agree that the coverage on most LED´s is a bit optimistic incl. Platinum.

I mean you can cover that area and grow good weed even at the darker corners but you can not replace a 600-660W HPS with 270W of a P 450.
But you can with 2 x P 300 @ 370W quite good,

For me LED is about better Light / PAR and lower running cost and on that Platinum to me has the sweet spot.

Very good light witch get out good PAR per W and to me much better than Mars and worth the extra $.
You could go better with Advance or Budmaster but for me not worth the huge extra $.

I got some cheap 100x3W (3 @ 90W), a Mars Reflector 48x3, a P150 just Veg spec, a p 450 and new P 600
and while I agree that the core coverage is a bit lower than advised that is the same for all LED.

First run with my P450 and 2 x 100x3W pulled 440W and give me 410g dry.

To me you have to train the plants in veg for an even canopy to get the most out of LED.

4x Blue Dream veg for 7 weeks
IMG_20150202_205658.jpg

IMG_20150127_175918.jpg

As you see I wasted much space and could easy go over 1g/W
IMG_20150208_195747.jpg

Current
Deep Cheese, Heavyweight Dream Machine, RQS Royal Medic day 23

IMG_20150501_015127.jpg

IMG_20150501_014815.jpg

IMG_20150430_004244.jpg

IMG_20150501_014834.jpg

Get an even canopy and use more little light is the best way with LED, sad thing is that they are a bit more expensive per W than bigger models.
I will go on with P 300/600 as they don't have that big hot spot and with overlapping several little lights are better for yield and quality.
IMG_20150501_015003.jpg

I hang mine @ about 10 - 15" and get a very good coverage with that training.

I am very pleased so far and will buy some more Platinum as I think you cant get a much better deal with LED today.

DG

Back
Top Bottom