LED vs. HPS

Well this was kinda informative I already know I wanna go led but I'm continuing my research on what I want cuz I'm sure it will change by the time I actually can afford and get them hopefully they will be cheaper by then to lol right now I got my eyes on the dorm gro g8

Ok, who's up to the challenge??

This is my light meter about 7 feet away from the light source, (1) 1000W HPS.

I would like to see a LED fixture do the same before I can consider the switch.

Is there anyone who can convince me to make the switch? It doesn't need to be a 1000W HPS, but a comparison, and image of the actual light-source would be necessary.

I grow very large plants, basically small trees, and would need good penetration to the floor as far as lighting goes.

You meed a $500 light meter with a special sensor to read leds output accurately , rest assured the quality panels being sold are real / really good. I use both led and hps they compliment each other well. Watch out with the cheap panels being flogged on ebay many are misrepresented.

You meed a $500 light meter with a special sensor to read leds output accurately , rest assured the quality panels being sold are real / really good. I use both led and hps they compliment each other well. Watch out with the cheap panels being flogged on ebay many are misrepresented.

Do you have any data to back this regarding the LED's not being readable?

I am only asking because I put my light meter in front of the LED bulb I have in my living room lamp as well as a similar wattage CFL and they each reacted to the meter as expected. It needs to be placed at about 1 to 2 inches away to peg, but it does react nonetheless. With my T12 HO fixture with (2) 110W lamps, the meter pegs at about 4 inches away. This light meter is a basic $10-$20 unit purchased at a hobby shop many moons ago.

If light spectrum had anything to do with this in general, it would be noticed on my T12 fixture. I have custom SPX bulbs, in a particular light spectrum. One is in the extreme blue, the other extreme red. I use these for vegging.

I would love to be able to switch to LED for many reasons, one being that it would be less costly to run, produce less heat, and offer less fire hazard as well.

I do but Im not going to debate it boring , its been beating to death already read some threads if you want infom I am personally done with the question. You can find prime examples here on the site. I can post A few of my own examples , I use both light sources... my point is they work well together who cares which one has the most benefit over the other. My point is as Boys and girls play well together so do these lights.
IMG_020462.JPG
Top two photos are currently 7 weeks old used hps at first then led once in the rdwc today the cool tubes go back up to add to the lumens , last 3 photos are from last grow.
IMG_020357.JPG
8_weeks_0_002.JPG
8_weeks_0_010.JPG
10_weeks_001.JPG
. I got 12 oz off the last plant 8 off her sister

Haha , sorry guys Im not up to the task , on the flip side you will find lots of detailed info on the web. I have a tip for Op and all , Check out some threads by 420 member Icemud using the search function , he has such a meter and has performed dozens of tests. I cant post a link if I wanted , Im on my phone. Laptop took a nosedive.

Turns out it was the laptops power supply that died
Two weeks of phone use before I checked the the power supply with a multi meter and found it was the culprit that gave up the ghost so cut the power plug off wired it to another Pw supply and its good

Ordered a 5th $100 Mars 300 led panel from eBay a few days ago , next grow I want two panels for each plant in bud mode , 3 more panels and I'm set.

The HPS cooltubes heat is nice in the winter but not so nice when it warms up. I'll continue to use them for the winter crop but hope to be all LED for the upcoming grow for their power efficiency bang for buck.

Its bright in there with 700w of led and 1200 in HPS and about to get brighter ! haha

It is a lot light power going now for Bud mode although it only cost $90 a month at 12/12 so I don't mind so much.

Especially since the cooltubes act as straight up heaters venting filtered 100 degree air into the house that gets dehumidified for heating in the winter.

I don't even want to know what I would pay for that much electricity here... It'd be like at least $250 dollars a month

Sent from my SM-G920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I should mention for people who vent outdoors that the 600 hps Cooltubes run cooler then the led panels surprisingly much cooler so if heats your only reason for switching to leds vented hoods would be a better choice imo.

Also with led more smaller panels are better then using fewer larger panels as you can spread the light over a wider footprint using a similar watt draw.
As for energy efficiency bang for buck leds can save about 40% on energy costs and should give a higher quality of bud , by peoples account it increases the trichomes and flavor / terpene profile but you still need to flush well if you want quality bud.

Flush well and with leds you could bring out some nice undertones in the flavor especially the lemon ones

Back
Top Bottom