Legal Marijuana: A Cure For State Budget Woes?

Oregon - Legalizing marijuana for adults could help plug holes in the state budget, supporters of legalized marijuana said Wednesday, but opponents warned of hidden costs.

In a time of tight budgets and a sluggish economy supporters said about $30 million could be raised in state revenue by allowing anyone 21 and over to buy marijuana from stores regulated by a newly created Oregon Cannabis Control Commission.

Madeline Martinez of Oregon’s chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws is one of two petitioners wanting to put the issue before Oregon voters. The other is Paul Stanford who led an attempt to legalize marijuana 24 years ago – in 1986 – and was arrested that same year for an illegal pot grow in his home.

Martinez said one of their primary arguments for legalizing marijuana will be its benefit to the state’s budget. She said sales would be taxed and 90 percent of the revenue would go toward the general fund.

“Were losing so much revenue that our state could capture and put into our general fund,” she said.

But Chris Gibson with Oregon’s High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program said legalization of marijuana is a bad idea both socially and financially.

He cites assessments that have been made that put the real cost of legalizing marijuana at nine to one.

“For every dollar that comes in another nine dollars is going out to fund social service issues,” Gibson said.

He also said that in 2008 treatment admissions for marijuana abuse exceeded meth admissions for the first time ever. He also said parents have enough to deal with in keeping their teenagers away from alcohol.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine
Source: KCBY CBS 11
Author: Anna Song
Copyright: 2010 Fisher Communications, Inc.

maybe so, but how many of those admissions were court ordered?

I was thinking the same thing. And just how can he possibly postulate that social services costs would skyrocket if cannabis is legalized? They grab at any straw and twist any statistic to keep prohibition in effect, don't they.

well its not adictive so treatment for it is a joke.. i think it is a great idea to leagalize and tax the piss out of it.. just like alcohol.. witch is adictive and devastates lives..

He also said that in 2008 treatment admissions for marijuana abuse exceeded meth admissions for the first time ever. He also said parents have enough to deal with in keeping their teenagers away from alcohol.

When I was a kid (oh so long ago) nothing ever stopped us from getting whatever intoxicant we wanted - just like the kids today. Once it is finally legalized (and it eventually will be) I predict a dramatic decrease of spousal abuse. I still haven't heard of anyone getting stoned and going home and beating the wife/husband.

well its not adictive so treatment for it is a joke.. i think it is a great idea to leagalize and tax the piss out of it.. just like alcohol.. witch is adictive and devastates lives..

I'd rather that legalization not be borne on the back of more taxes...

Addicted to Cannabis? Not in a traditional sense, but I know heavy smokers that feel it is addicting. The reason they say that is your mood alters when you go off it and some people go into depression. With that said, I can say the same about Coffee. Get a heavy coffee drinker to stop drinking coffee cold and you will see more mood swings and possible depression. The only difference is Cannabis is NON-TOXIC but coffee can kill you. From a medical point of view, the studies show no chemical dependency, so addiction to Cannabis would be strictly a mental addiction like Gambling and over-eating. Those are classed as addictions, so in that sense, yes Cannabis can be addicting. I would say as an addiction, it is very wimpy. I have gone through a home detox for alcohol, so I know what I am talking about from personal experience. If a heavy smoker has been self-medicating for pain and suddenly goes off cannabis, they may have major mood swings too. That maybe part of what is happening when a heavy smoker quits.

Have them try being addicted to some real drugs, then have them get back to you on whether or not cannabis is addictive.

Here's a challenge. Pretend you're a merryjewanna addick and you've decided to go to a 12 step program. One thing they will practically demand that you do is a '90 in 90' which means attending 90 meetings in 90 days. The challenge is this. Go to the MA website, and find out how many miles you'll have to travel in order to attend a meeting each day. Then go do the same with either NA or AA. The latter you'll probably be able to do at the same location, within spitting distance of your home. The former will likely require travel to other states and hundreds and hundreds of miles. Even in the SF Bay area you'll spend some hours on the BART.

Back
Top Bottom