Lets hear from some renters who grow....

I'd like to hear from some renters who grow. I know it isnt an ideal situation but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do....

How often do you get visits from the landlord or manager? Is there notice given? What are a renters rights?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a friend who grows. He is moving into town and tells me he plans to grow while renting a home. I own so I know nothing about renting or renters rights to privacy but I fear that he will get caught.

I'd like to hear from some folks who have rent and grow. Thanks.

I rent and I haven't started a grow for two reasons 1; money and 2; scared. So I will probably do a very small grow if I do end up doing something. Every wheres is different but my apartment complex gives a notice a couple day ahead of times if they're gonna be doing anything in the apartment. Usually just pest control people every 3 months. Also though unfortunately the water meters are in each person's apartment. So every month around the 15th or so they come in and read the meter. They do not give a notice for that. I watched the pest control people the last time and they were in and out with a guy that works at the complex. He didn't spray in the closet where I was planning to grow. Also I was thinking these guys aren't gonna mess around in my apartment because they've got hundreds of units to do. Who knows though, I definitely will make it very low key though.

yes, i was wondering this same question, like 420fied said, if you're renting your home (non apartment)

at this moment in time i only know that while renting you cant build or remodel the house in any way without the (landlord)

I'm currently looking to own my own house right now. lol good question thou

Well if you are going to grow in a rented/leased apartment you must be the signer of the lease to discuss this here, AND all occupants of the apartment must be aware of the situation. We don't condone any grow situation where you put the freedom of any non consenting or unknowing individuals at risk of legal trouble.

With that said...

If you have a nosy landlord then dont grow.

If you have a managed property that requires your permission to enter the place without you being present then you are safer but still no guarantee's.

Don't put your grow near anything in the place that may require periodic service or an emergency entrance by service people ie water leak etc.

I would stay away from hydro grows that could leak into another apartment while you are away and cause an emergency entrance by service folks to address the strange water leak coming from the bedroom that shouldn't have running water in it. Most apartments that I know of do not allow waterbeds for obvious reasons so that would not be a good excuse.

Keep your grow confined to an area where if a service person had to come fix a toilet or furnace issue they will not see.hear.smell your grow. A spare bedroom with a lock on the door that the landlord doesn't have is a good idea.

Makes sure there is no noise or smell the close neighbors can here/smell and complain about.

Don't be bringing bags of soil etc into your apt that would raise suspicion of nosy neighbors. Do that while its dark etc.

Renter here, thinking of it but......... Heat prob is solved with T5's, but the smell........... Then there's the space.............. I can grow 15 plants with my MM card............... How many............. 1 or 15 Cost about is the same.......

Have friends that grow in their garage's, no way can or want to try that in a apt.

Hi,

I'm a renter who's about to jump into growing.

If you're a renter who's thinking of growing then these forums are a good place to start, it's where I started and the advice has been thoughtful and freely given.

I plan on a stealth grow in a modified wardrobe in my bedroom. I was going to go with another location until people here talked me out of it (again why I started here!). There are no guarantee's, plan for stealth, over plan, and over plan. As a renter I face eviction if caught but luckily I'm the neighbor everyone in the building thinks is the nice quiet one who's so unlikely to have anything to do with the Devil's Weed.

I wouldn't even think of it though if I owned a home. I don't know how it is anywhere else but here the cops love busting grows, not because of the drugs they get off the street but because they love to seize EVERYTHING and auction it off. Here police profit from Pot as much as the criminals. If you own a home and get caught growing you face having your home taken. That's a risk I wouldn't take. Eviction is bad enough.

Stealth stealth stealth. The moment I walk in my front door and smell pot, my grow is done. I'll pull the crop, shut it all down and move the cabinet into my storage unit and there it will collect dust. I work out of my home too so I just won't take the risk. I'm willing to try, and I'm willing to spend the money to try and do it as best as I can, but should I fail then it's money lost and lesson learned.

I hear all the time on the building grapevine about pot smokers in the building getting caught and I stand around shaking my head and 'tsk tsk'ing like everyone else. I know. But I like it here and the people while ignorant are still good and decent people. I water cure my weed and use a carbon filter in my smoking room so no one has any idea I smoke.

Appartment growing I think is doable, but I should have a concrete answer for myself at least in a few months!

Sorry for the long rant/post!

:roorrip:

Odd since you are far more likely to get caught sooner or later growing in rented space than that which you own.

Most rental properties don't need your permission for the landlord or his/her designated agents to enter your space - they just need to provide you with at least 24 hours written notice (or to be able to show that they made the attempt if, for example, you are on vacation or decide to try hiding with the drapes pulled and not answer the phone because you suddenly become paranoid lol).

Rent a HOUSE, not an apartment (unless it's a garage apartment where you have exclusive use of the garage). Growing in a multi-occupancy apartment building is like growing in a house where you don't want the other members of your family to know you're doing it only worse because at least with the house situation you have the say as to who can and cannot share the place with you (and there is some chance that the other members of your family won't be nosy enough to spend hours just listening, looking, smelling, and gossiping).

When deciding to rent a house, you have a far better chance of finding a landlord that you can develop a rapport with, one that won't feel the need to make "inspections" or just drop in to nose around while you're not there (while this is certainly illegal, it IS done). Also, if you choose a house that is owned by someone who lives out of town - possibly an older person who has retired to FL - they are not likely to have a manager (unless they are renting out several houses).

And then there's the question of maintenance and upkeep. With every house that I have ever rented, I did all the plumbing, electrical work, painting, etc. I even volunteered to clean the places out prior to moving in if it was a house that I'd found out about before the owner had gotten to that point. That helps with the rapport between you and the property owner and helps convince them that you are responsible, decent, hard-working, etc. right off the bat. Everyone that I rented houses off of told me that if I ever had to do such work to their property to just mail the receipts for the materials with my rent check - and to deduct their amounts from said check - either when I discussed doing things like that with them at the lease-signing or in one case after a particularly cold snap when the woman called to make sure everything was all right a few days later and I said yes but I went ahead and replaced one basement window (used) and sealed up around the top of the blocks all around the perimeter of the basement because the water froze on me and I'd had to replace some copper. Well, you get the idea.

In an apartment you might routinely take care of your own problems, but think about all the people who call and complain over every little thing (usually those who spend all day listening, looking, smelling, being nosy, and gossiping).

In a house, you can show how valuable a renter you are by making sure that your lawn is always the first one to be mowed on your block each week, that your garden (or even just a few flowers if you don't have ANY space) is neat, colorful, and makes the property look more attractive, you can show by doing even little things like making your porch a clean and comfortable place to sit and enjoy the day, (tastefully) decorate for every holiday, purchase one of those fancy plastic huts for your trash cans so that they are out of site, purchase & install a fancy mailbox or just sand and paint your existing one, etc., etc., etc.

In an apartment building, you can show them... your door and your mailbox. Neither of which you are likely to have to opportunity to do anything with.

Over half of the people I rented houses from I saw when I looked at the place & when I signed the lease and that was it. One person lived in the same town and didn't seem nosy so much as they seemed to want to spend the entire day with us on the day we signed the lease. I finally told the man that I really needed to get some sleep because I worked nights (He was old and mentioned that his wife had passed a way the previous year and we could tell that he was lonely). He never came around unless invited (she called and invited him to a barbeque we threw the weekend after we finished putting a new deck on the back so that he could see it. He not only loved it, he got pretty choked up about the fact that while he knew several people (apartment owners mostly lol) that routinely told him horror stories about their tennants, he had people that actually "treated the place like it was their own" as he put it. He even offered to drop our rent $100/month for a year but we honestly figured he needed the money.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. Sometimes you get lucky renting an apartment. You might even live in one of two apartments in a commercial building full of stores where the other apartment is only used for storage and the only people who can smell the very strong odor of a bedroom crammed full of skunk plants under many hot lights <WHOOPS> are some minimum-wage employees who only ever said anything at harvest time and that was to thank you for helping them out and one K9 LEO <YIKES!> who shopped at those stores and used to gripe at you that you were probably killing his dog's sense of smell and that he'd better never catch you "selling that stuff to any kids or be doing anything worse than growing dope" in his words (THAT was a small town lmfao). But as you can guess, things like that aren't all that common.

Or you might even have noticed a fairly bad water leak in your apartment building's communal basement, have called to mention it, called again two days later to mention it again, the following week to complain that you were starting to worry about mold, and called the week after THAT to inform your landlord that he could forget about the water leak because you broke down and fixed it. And then he called you the next day and apologized because his maintenance man was a drunk and wanted to know if you could do other stuff and if so would you be interested in living there rent-free if you'd assume the maintanence duties for that 14-unit apartment complex and a 12-unit one a few blocks away. Again, an exception to the rule.

Usually, though, it's far easier and safer to just rent a house and to use your head when picking which one it will be.

And as far as growing in rental property but never if you decide to buy a house... THAT just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Don't go from paying $40/month in electricity to paying $1500/month all of a sudden, don't put 5000 watts of uncooled HID lights in an uninsulated attic, don't decide to grow 275 plants without odor control, don't invite stupid people into your home (and while you're at it, don't invite compulsive kleptomaniacs in to look at your priceless antique collection, someone on parole for their third conviction for auto theft to look at your three new Ferraris, or those three big guys from work to visit your nymphomaniac wife while you're on that month-long business trip lol), don't mail-order truckloads of growing equipment and have it delivered to your house when the neighbors are watching, don't fight with your spouse (or your neighbors, or constantly turn your stereo up as loud as it will go at 3am, or get drunk and decide that there is nothing wrong with firing a whole box of ammo off in the backyard when kids are playing next door) and get LEO called on you. And NEVER get so greedy that you decide not to think.

In short, don't be stupid and don't worry. Or rather, don't worry NEARLY as much as someone who doesn't own their own home and therefore set all the rules would do.

It all really just depends. Do you have a rented house or apartement? Does your landlord like to sneak into your place when your gone and snoop around?

It is do able, my friend grew like 12 plants at a time in his rented house. My friend did all of his own repair work and everything to keep his landlord and service people from having to enter the house. And his landlord never really went into his place or shows up unexpected cause his landlord trusts him.

So if you decide to grow out of a rented property just be smart. If you have a landlord who's in your place when you get off of work, then yea its probally not a good idea to start growing ganja. And of course never ever ever tell or show anyone your grow. You tell or show someone your asking to get caught. Now get out there and grow some ganja, just be smart and safe about it.

I grow in my apartment (well victorian house) my landlord lives right below. Had a water leak one day and he came up here when i was at work at saw it. He said he didnt care, it was all on me. I got permission almost. haha love denver!
But trust me they always come in somtimes. I know the 24 hour notice blah blah shit. Dont trust that..

I know for a fact, it is very unsafe to grow in an apartment. Over half the apartment maintenance workers in America are off duty police officers trying to make a few extra bucks during their off hours.

When a police officer enters an apartment, they know what to look for, on-duty or off. This is how police get their tips. Next thing you know, 7 cops are at your apartment at 7am in the morning, and your sitting in your living room watching the house get torn apart.

Never ever ever grow in an apartment unit, unless your a maintenance worker living on the site your taking care of.:nicethread:

Fortunately at my place they are all full time live in maintenance people. They live in the development and work here full time alternating covering emergency shifts. I also work from home so I am in my apartment a good 21-22 hours a day. I would know if someone were coming in here. But yes if someone else has the keys to your joint you are at some risk. But like I said in my original post keep your grow confined to an area the maintenance guy would never have to go. Like the spare bedroom with a locking door knob that only I have the key for. If there were some sort of gas leak, water leak or any reason they deem nessecary to enter without your knowledge they would have to force their way into a bedroom to see whats going on. Could that happen sure but not as likely. Good luck trying to get that evidence to hold up as well if you have a half way decent lawyer.

As with anything if you cant do the time don't do the crime.

I know for a fact, it is very unsafe to grow in an apartment. Over half the apartment maintenance workers in America are off duty police officers trying to make a few extra bucks during their off hours.

When a police officer enters an apartment, they know what to look for, on-duty or off. This is how police get their tips. Next thing you know, 7 cops are at your apartment at 7am in the morning, and your sitting in your living room watching the house get torn apart.

Never ever ever grow in an apartment unit, unless your a maintenance worker living on the site your taking care of.:nicethread:

I have to say that I agree and disagree. I think growing in a rental can be done. I am home a lot and no one has ever EVER entered my unit without me being here. THAT's part of the reason I'm going to try it. Renting a house I can see as the best alternative, but I'm single and don't earn enough to rent a house, so I'm staying where I am. The reason I won't grow in a house I own has nothing to do with the security of the grow but the penalty for being caught. Here being caught is an eviction, in a house I own being caught can mean losing the house. IF I find myself in a position to own a house and the laws have not changed I won't grow, I won't give the cops ANY reason to seize my property. I said in another thread that there is a cop in the building (not the brightest guy thankfully) but he boasts about that - the property they seize.

Of course where you live also plays into the equation. Some places have much harsher laws and penalties. Here in Canada especially here in Western Canada it's not as bad as some places I hear about in the US with regards to the penalties and level of enforcement.

The bottom line for me is IF I can keep it stealthy I'm going to try it because I AM home a lot and I will be keeping it fairly small... Besides I hate cutting grass.. :grinjoint:

here in s fl you might hear about 3 growhouse busts a day it seems like, kinda scarry
luckilly i have permission to do just about anything i want legal or not legal from the landlord, shes just happy to have me paying rent
but i do all my maintenance and repairs myself anyways so its not too bad
now i just need the $$$ and equipment for the better grows, maybe some day

still would love a nice chunk of property to do some decent outdoor grows on!

I rent and grow I own a 2 bedroom apartment landlord is really cool I also own the attic above me where I grow and have 3 rooms, 2 of them I use for growing.
It is not safe to grow anywhere that is the bottom line it is illegal and until it is legal it is unsafe for anyone.
As McBudz stated, " if you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

I have rented for many years from many different landlords.

Privacy has NEVER been a concern. I contribute this mainly to the fact that I would never rent from a landlord who feels it is their right to come into my residence without being invited.

If you find the right landlord they will never visit you. I have always arranged to make my payments at their place to convenience them. As long as I wasn't breaking the law (as far as they knew!) they had no reason to enter my home.

I have even grown in an apartment complex! The secret is proper ventilation techniques.

On the other hand, you can consider me lucky because I've also had landlords who I smoked with every day so........:bongrip:

Just saw this thread: I am a landlord for a condo, I have always given the tenant a 24 hr notice before i enter, however, sometime i have to enter on emergency. NEver would the tenant get away with growing in my condo if trying to conceal it. I would know in a heartbeat.. but , not that i would mind anyway, I think ALL of my tenants in the past 4 years have been tokers, i even smoke up with one of them. Now, i have sorta made it a requirement to be 420 friendly if your lving in my rental. My tenants do get some great smoke and am really impressed sometimes. i tell them that the whole complex is 420 freindly and dont need to worry bout a thing. in fact when you get somehting good , call me. i always share my nugs too. I guess living in Co, i would have to say most people here are 420 aware and it's only a misdeamor if busted , even if your not a mmj. But yea, i have had to enter without notice due to plumbing issues , etc, have seen bongs , pipes and weed laying about, i think it's great!
I wanted to add that I would never allow my tenants to do maintenance on my condo either, just way to picky for a non pro to go around doing stuff, I would rather do it, as a professional contractor i just don't see them doing a good job.

look very presentable when meeting landlord for negotiation. remeber 1st impression is important..lie to him and tell him u plan on renting for a loonnggg time & if changin the locks would be to much, becuz of ur unawareness of previous renters ;-)

i rent my own house. we have a four bed. and three people living here. was 4 before. my landlord runs his own construction business, which his base garage is behind my property. there are 3 homes he rents out next to each other. my landlords has only come by once, for a broken window and we called him. we pay rent early every month. and cut the grass twice a week. (it grows fast). weve only had one complaint. and that was about our dogs, which he met and knew the lady was full of shit and that our dogs were friendly. ive only recently started my grow. it is very low key and in my bedroom closet. where theres no reason for the landlord to go. i plan to use on of the open bedrooms to have a little extra space. but well see still skeptical on a big grow in a rental. hopefully ill have my own house soon, and then itll be on.

as far as growing in an apt. i did it once. we had outdoor plants, that were late, and it was cold, so we brought the, inside. worked decently. had shitty lights and used mirrors, two big no-nos. but maintenance was supposed to give notices, and didnt, they asked permission once, we told them yes to come by at a certain time, they didnt come by for 3 days, and in the morning instead of evening like we asked. so never trust apts, they have sooo many places to go they never know when they'll actually be there. so i dont trust that at all. get a nice house with an old man or woman as the landlord, as they will never show up unannounced.

Back
Top Bottom