Lifting pots for watering - How light should it be?

BillyBud420

Hey all,

I am currently growing a single plant in a 1/2 gallon (6x6) pot with Promix HP as medium. I use a moisture meter and the lift method to decide when to water..

I have another identical pot, filled with the same soil, which has never been planted or watered...

Here is my question: relative to my unused pot described above, how light should I let my pot get with the plant? I believe that a very small portion at the very bottom of the pot may never completely dry out. When I compare my plant to the unplanted pot, the unplanted pot is basically light as a feather... I am at 4 days since my last watering and there is still some weight to the plant although dramatically lighter than after a watering.

I know that the plant pot will never be as light as the test pot..but wondered how light I should go before watering. Hard to quantify I know but thought I'd see your opinions!

Hey all,

I am currently growing a single plant in a 1/2 gallon (6x6) pot with Promix HP as medium. I use a moisture meter and the lift method to decide when to water..

I have another identical pot, filled with the same soil, which has never been planted or watered...

Here is my question: relative to my unused pot described above, how light should I let my pot get with the plant? I believe that a very small portion at the very bottom of the pot may never completely dry out. When I compare my plant to the unplanted pot, the unplanted pot is basically light as a feather... I am at 4 days since my last watering and there is still some weight to the plant although dramatically lighter than after a watering.

I know that the plant pot will never be as light as the test pot..but wondered how light I should go before watering. Hard to quantify I know but thought I'd see your opinions!

Actually, it should be as light as the dry pot... the only extra weight being just a trace amount of water that remains trapped between the roots and the sides of the container due to capillary action, and of course the weight of the plant. This capillary effect is why your moist/wet meter will never show that it is dry at the bottom... there should always be traces of water down there, even at the point it is so dry that the plant has begun to wilt. I can not determine by lifting ANY difference between a dry container of soil and a container that is just about to need water... they are both light as a feather.

So, if you are feeling ANY water weight, it is too much... and that water sitting at the bottom will keep your lower roots from being able to get oxygen. If you do this consistently, not allowing those lower roots to breathe, your plants will suffer.

Two things that you can look for as you figure out how to determine when you are at the correct point, where you need to water. First, the plants will send out a perfume pump at the very end of the process to let you know that they need something. A healthy plant will be in full transpiration at this point, reaching every leaf up to the light and using maximum suction to get at that last of the water.

Also, right as the water gets to the critical level and parts of the root system are no longer in water, the suction ability of those roots goes away. As soon as this happens, the plant will start to droop, lower leaves first and then traveling up the trunk. When all the water is gone, the plant will actually wilt, the trunk bending down to the soil. Of course you should not let it get to this point, but waiting for the first signs of droop is actually not as harmful as watering too often and if you are confused as to where this point occurs, you should attempt to find where this point is. Your goal however is to water just before you get to this point, when there are just traces of moisture left in the container... traces that are almost impossible to feel by lifting.

This is what Emilya is talking about. From my previous grow:

WP_20140511_009.jpg

Wow! Once again, so thankful for the advice given by both of you! It is appreciated!

This completely clears up my last remaining question about watering and I am sure you have helped out many others with the information provided above. I haven't seen it expressed anywhere as clearly as you both have here.

Thanks again.

Your welcome bud. That is what 420Mag members are here for. Enjoy your grow and hopefully you start a journal so we can follow along and provide any necessary assistance to help this be a successful grow.

Your welcome bud. That is what 420Mag members are here for. Enjoy your grow and hopefully you start a journal so we can follow along and provide any necessary assistance to help this be a successful grow.
Thanks man! My journal link is in my signature. Had a few issues but am learning something every day and hope I don't screw my plant up too much!

Back
Top Bottom