Light cycle interruption emergency

Etzmishpat

In a bit of a panic, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 4 plants are in the first week of 12/12

On day 6 of flower (yesterday) I put a new fan in the room. That damn fan is covered in bright blue LEDs and I meant to plug it fan into the same power bar that gets shut off by a timer for lights out.

I plugged the fan into the wrong power bar so the LED function lights continued to shine during the first 4-6 hours of the 6th 12 hour dark cycle.

I caught the problem at about 6 hours into the dark cycle, confirmed the aLEDs from the fan were lighting up the tent - unplugged the fan and have kept the lights off since.

What should I do?

Do I give 12 hours of dark and then a short light period and another 12 hours of dark to get the plants back on cycle or do i keep everything dark until tomorrow without a short day after 12 hours of dark?

How serious is this problem.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

I put the plants into a new 12 hour dark when I noticed the light interference.

So that is 4-6 hours of light-polluted dark and now +12 hours of actual dark.

My understanding is that the uninterrupted dark is more important than the light in the first two weeks of transition from veg to flower.

I further understand, but please correct me if I am wrong, that the dark period is important because of a constellation of photoperiod hormones that mediate the transition from veg to flower - what I have gleaned from this site suggests that the relevant hormones reach a critical and delicate concentration in response to 12 hours of dark in the photoperiod.

There appears to be a great deal of controversy surrounding the impact of light pollution during the dark period as well as any full interruption of the dark period.

To wrap my head around this i’ll distinguish between two kinds of interruption:

1. “minor light pollution” (meaning light exposure during the otherwise intended 12 hour dark period that is less intense than ‘lights on or ‘major light pollution’. An example of minor light pollution: tent light leaks or minor sources of light like powerbar switch led sources).

2. Major light pollution: Example of major light pollution: lights on or equivalent lumens/PAR during the intended dark photoperiod of a 12/12 cycle plant.

I understand that the severity of both major and minor light pollution is principally mediated by its duration.

The longer the light pollution event, whether major or minor, the more likely adverse consequences becomes (such as hermaphrodism).

3. Experienced growers appear to accept that both minor and major light pollution events, as described above, may be innocuous where they are sufficiently brief. Further, it is accepted that both major and minor light pollution events MAY cause adverse outcomes: greater duration of major and minor light pollution is causally associated with adverse outcomes.

4. The mechanism by which major and minor light pollution causes adverse outcomes appears to be by way of interrupting the dark-photoperiod dependant hormones that are responsible for the induction of flowering and it’s maintenance.

5. The material question in assessing the impact of major or minor light pollution as well as the mitigation of the same is whether the light pollution was sufficient to disrupt the hormone levels necessary to continue the relevant stage of plant development.

6. If the above is true then for my case, and please correct me if I am wrong:

6.1 My plants were exposed to minor light pollution within the meaning of para 2-3 above.

6.2 My plants are at a crucial photoperiod contingent stage of development (week 1 of flower, transition to flower) and were exposed to minor light pollution of about 4-6 hours duration.

6.3 The danger is over-exposure to light because the transition to flower is mediated by dark-photoperiod contingent hormones.

7. Minor light pollution in this case may have disrupted the relevant hormones, who knows - mitigation of the overexposure, if the above assumptions are true, is to induce an immediate 12 hour dark photoperiod, which I have now done.

8. The question as to whether a 12 hour photoperiod followed by a “short day” (exposure of the plants to full-lights on for a duration less than 12 hours after a 12 hour compensatory dark period is indicated.

It is better to mitigate the light pollution event (either major or minor after 12 hours of compensatory darkness) by:

a. Giving the plants a “short day” after which another 12 hour dark-photoperiod ensues with “lights on” at the normal period per the cycle?

b. Giving the plants a “long night” (much longer dark-photoperiod being the length of time between the emergency 12 hour “mitigation” lights out and the next normally scheduled “lights on”)

c. Although unavailable in this case because of the already-elapsed mitigation 12 hour dark period, a “long day” (being “lights on” immediately upon noticing minor or major light pollution for the full duration between lights on and the next normally scheduled lights out.

d. another Emergency Measure that I have not included.

It's tough to give you an answer to your question seeing as how most potheads are too lazy to experiment with such a minor discrepancy as mistakes being made and how to navigate out of them. We typically leave those answers to someone who has the time and energy to experiment. Then again many cultivators stick to one genetic subspecies and get to know it rather well. That seems to be the acceptable answer. Yes, leaving your lights on will fuck your plants up, but again there are mitigating circumstances such as age of plant, genetics pointing to potential hermaphroditism, temperature, amount and duration of light, and just about every potential unique identity to your personal situation. I can say for sure that my plant growing now, was able to start flowering outdoors, and I had to move it indoors at around 4 to 6 weeks of flowering. I say 4 to 6 weeks, because plants do start flowering much earlier than most, if not all growers realize. Technically plants start the first phase of preflowering about 4 to 8 weeks into the plants life. Then asymmetrical growth of branching is the next sign, albeit your plant may still be growing leaves, roots, and branches during these phases of (pre)flowering. Finally, your plant will stop growing for a week or 2 as it's photoperiod finally senses enough darkness. And this can vary from strain to strain from only 9 hours in Himalayan indicas, all the way up to 12.5, even 13 hours has been reported in equatorial strains. Some autoflower varieties develop florigen (flowering hormone) based on plants age, not photoperiod. And these varieties usually take 8 to 12 weeks from start to finish, irrelevant of the photoperiod. Now that we know all this, back to the matter at hand. Do I believe that a little bit of light interruption will affect a plant? No, not if it's a strong genetic, and you keep [light] stress to a minimum following discovery of this event. I don't think you should put the plant through more than 12 hours of complete darkness following discovery, not 24 hours as some suggest. Or you could just resume the normal light schedule (as I am to remedy my mistake, seeing as how I partly rely on autumn daylight from a nearby window in conjunction with my lights). I accidentally left the lights on an extra 6 hours today. I will let you all know later how this remedy goes. My theory is that I have a strong genetic, which will be unaffected by this minor light addition. Additionally, I theorize that plants respond more slowly to environmental stimuli than animals do, so a mistake as I made, isn't the same as if I fell asleep in the sun for 6 hours. Also I have read and surmised that the later a plant is into flowering, the less likely it is to revert back to vegetative growth, but also more likely to develop hermaphroditic flowers. Just as the older a plant is in general, the more likely it will flower since it becomes more sensitive to the photoperiod; which makes sense if you see that a plant becomes more desperate to spread it's seed, as it becomes chronologically older (same with humans for the most part). I'm not an expert on horticulture, but I do have some experience and passion that drives me to help other fellow cultivators.

It's tough to give you an answer to your question seeing as how most potheads are too lazy to experiment with such a minor discrepancy as mistakes being made and how to navigate out of them. We typically leave those answers to someone who has the time and energy to experiment. Then again many cultivators stick to one genetic subspecies and get to know it rather well. That seems to be the acceptable answer. Yes, leaving your lights on will fuck your plants up, but again there are mitigating circumstances such as age of plant, genetics pointing to potential hermaphroditism, temperature, amount and duration of light, and just about every potential unique identity to your personal situation. I can say for sure that my plant growing now, was able to start flowering outdoors, and I had to move it indoors at around 4 to 6 weeks of flowering. I say 4 to 6 weeks, because plants do start flowering much earlier than most, if not all growers realize. Technically plants start the first phase of preflowering about 4 to 8 weeks into the plants life. Then asymmetrical growth of branching is the next sign, albeit your plant may still be growing leaves, roots, and branches during these phases of (pre)flowering. Finally, your plant will stop growing for a week or 2 as it's photoperiod finally senses enough darkness. And this can vary from strain to strain from only 9 hours in Himalayan indicas, all the way up to 12.5, even 13 hours has been reported in equatorial strains. Some autoflower varieties develop florigen (flowering hormone) based on plants age, not photoperiod. And these varieties usually take 8 to 12 weeks from start to finish, irrelevant of the photoperiod. Now that we know all this, back to the matter at hand. Do I believe that a little bit of light interruption will affect a plant? No, not if it's a strong genetic, and you keep [light] stress to a minimum following discovery of this event. I don't think you should put the plant through more than 12 hours of complete darkness following discovery, not 24 hours as some suggest. Or you could just resume the normal light schedule (as I am to remedy my mistake, seeing as how I partly rely on autumn daylight from a nearby window in conjunction with my lights). I accidentally left the lights on an extra 6 hours today. I will let you all know later how this remedy goes. My theory is that I have a strong genetic, which will be unaffected by this minor light addition. Additionally, I theorize that plants respond more slowly to environmental stimuli than animals do, so a mistake as I made, isn't the same as if I fell asleep in the sun for 6 hours. Also I have read and surmised that the later a plant is into flowering, the less likely it is to revert back to vegetative growth, but also more likely to develop hermaphroditic flowers. Just as the older a plant is in general, the more likely it will flower since it becomes more sensitive to the photoperiod; which makes sense if you see that a plant becomes more desperate to spread it's seed, as it becomes chronologically older (same with humans for the most part). I'm not an expert on horticulture, but I do have some experience and passion that drives me to help other fellow cultivators.
Nice write-up, but the thread was started in 2019, so you may not get much response from the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom