Light timers & daylight savings What do you do?

crappiebait

Just curious what others do with the light timers when it comes to days like today.
Do you just leave them alone? Change them over a period of time? Or, just turn them back an hour
like I do?

First, let's assume you want to adjust your light schedule. I did nothing :p

If you're in flower, make sure to maintain the long dark cycle. In this case, "falling back" an hour, you want to make your change during lights on. AFTER your lights are on, ie the plants had a complete 12 hour dark cycle, adjust both times. They will get one less hour of light, but they won't notice. They will just have a 23 hour day like the rest of us. If you made the change during the dark cycle, it would probably be OK as well, but I'm anal about maintaining darkness during flower. Since I only have 23 hours, I want to make sure I still get 12 for the dark cycle. :blalol:

In the spring, it doesn't matter. You're adding an hour to whichever cycle is active, ie adjust during lights on, they get a 13 hour day, but still a 12 hour night. The spring clock change is always a 25 hour day, so just try to think about which cycle you want to add your hour to.

I ignore daylight saving and leave them set to winter time all year round. I wish I could do that with all of my life. Moving the clocks around just causes confusion and for every person who benefits from going to work in the light there is someone who pays by having to come home in the dark.

Just change the timer to the new adjusted time. 1 hour difference +/- happening once during the grow isn't a big deal.
The time change, and light timer change means nothing what so ever to plants in Veg, and Auto's. I believe the main question is plants that are in the middle of flowering.

I do nothing. Both of my veg and flower cycles give me a window to work with the plants during the lights-on phase and that window just shifts an hour one way or the other depending on which change happens.

But, even if you do change your timers it shouldn't really much matter. The actual dark period required to maintain flower is more like 10-10.5 hours, although most of us do 12 hours to be safe. So, even in the fall if you change your timers the plant could get 11 hours of dark for one cycle but still safely within the margin of error.

Back
Top Bottom