Lightrail movers are good but not as good as AGRA MOVER

tintala

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
agramover.jpg

I have found this new light mover to sustain heavy , industrial usage, the wheel bearings will not wear out like those on the Light rails. also these have extra receptacles on the mover itself.. made by one guy , who accidently got into the hyrdo business with is nifty remake of a mover..

you can wield a heafty 6 lights without compromising the bearings, not to mention the tracking is 'HEAVY DUTY" industrial grade.

agramover2.jpg

agramover1.jpg

I've been thunking about investing in a light mover. This looks like a good one. The only thing I see is it looks like the power cord is pretty light duty.

its a nice mover but Ive already got 2 of the Lightrail 3.5's. out of curiosity how much do they cost?

way cheaper than lightrail and way more industrial. they go for about 200.00$and they are not in any stores you will have to do a seach for AGRA light mover.

THe problems with the lightrails are the bearings, they wear out quick esp if you have lots of lamps hanging from them, how mnay bearings I have replaced.... these are heavy duty...

the light rail 5.0 is has only one extra wheel, so its not exaclty that heavy duty or industrial, and like i said the bearings wear if you have lots of wieght. The light rails can go up to 450.00$

these go for around 200.00$

I have been using this unit for about 6 weeks now...love it and so do the plants, Im a mechanical eng. by trade and somewhat picky about how things are made and this unit is very well built A++

i've never been one for light movers personally but if I was going to buy one this would be it. I'm amazed how much weight it will support and the fact that it runs on universal channel found at home depot as opposed to that crappy extruded channel (that supports ZERO weight) you HAVE to buy with light-rail units.....seems like a no brainer to me! oh yeah, and they're cheaper and a small mom and pop operation.

I have had an agramover, with the extra trolley, for a weeks now. I love the unit itself.

I bought the rail at Home Depot and installed it to a 2x4 which was screwed into floor joists.

After a few days, when running, the weight of 2 lights plus the heavy rail started to create moans and groans from the 2x4 itself. It seemed like a new noise surfaced every day. The rail was not perfect and the motor would temporarily stall.

Turned out, ALL my plants were boys.

I have since ordered an aluminum rail and am waiting for some new plants to finish LSTing and will then try it over, perhaps skipping the 2x4 all together.

Originally I went the cheaper route and bought a rail from Home Depot - not stealth at all. Crazy loud noises.

Bought the rail recommended by agramover and installed it today. The motor itself, main wheel actually, is now making noises and stops halfway during the run; perhaps because the main wheel loses traction.

Cleaned the rail with hexane and cleaned the main motor wheel with rubbing alcohol. Although the noises are reduced, and the stalling is reduced, I have no idea how to resolve the issues.

On the fence with this one...

Extra light is awesome, but the noises are nearly unnerving.

Perhaps I figured some things out since my earlier post...

The screws holding the motor assembly together were loose. The motor seemed to "rock" as it moved. Tightening screws ended the stalling issue.

After all of the parts were cleaned, the squeaking noise still existed. As the mover went "forwards", the noises occurred consistently, at the same spots. As it moved 'backwards", noises occurred consistently to that direction, but in different spots on the track then in the forwards direction. Follow??

I was thinking, what could possibly be wrong with this new track??

Turns out, it wasn't the track.

I have two lights moving, both on the agramover. These lights are vented. The venting is not ideally aligned with the lights, so it pulls them to a side, a bit.

This misalignment was enough to throw off the mover, and cause the noises. Once I tied the vent pipes so they sat straighter, the noises stopped.

Now I am back to my stealth grow:yahoo:

this is my 1st post & i have a fellow grower near me who has one of these. he had ALL the problems listed here & finally got everything adjusted correctly & wouldn't trade this setup for any other. he, laughingly, said "once i got my head outta my butt, everything worked beautifully". (his words) he has since bought all the 'extras' & reported to me that every piece is TOP NOTCH. he uses 2 lights & 2fans. no problems at all.

tortured soul: i went to the "introduce u'rself" page & couldn't figure out how to post anything. u'll have to understand, when it comes to 'puters, i'm dumber'n a box 'o rocks. sorry. paw-paw

The owner of Agramover has been very helpful.

A heavy duty spring is necessary for two lights on one mover. Two lights on one mover may require a rebuild annually; so if you invest in one of these, be sure to buy the rebuild kit.

I think it's also important to clean the track often. Regular maintenance is a must.

Other then that, I am satisfied with the product - and I am picky as hell.

tortured soul: i went to the "introduce u'rself" page & couldn't figure out how to post anything. u'll have to understand, when it comes to 'puters, i'm dumber'n a box 'o rocks. sorry. paw-paw

Click on the new thread button in the forum you wish to create a thread in.

The owner of Agramover has been very helpful.

A heavy duty spring is necessary for two lights on one mover. Two lights on one mover may require a rebuild annually; so if you invest in one of these, be sure to buy the rebuild kit.

I think it's also important to clean the track often. Regular maintenance is a must.

Other then that, I am satisfied with the product - and I am picky as hell.

Sounds good. Communication, quality, and a product that is able to be maintained by the user. Hope you'll revisit this thread at some point in the future and let us know how it has worked for you.

I was getting so frustrated with the noises and then the stopped mover, I was ready to buy the heavy duty light rail mover.

Communication attempts through the Argamover website were futile, and I had the light rail (5.0 I think) selected and ready to order.

But sending emails through eBay to Argamover was constructive, and I received responses to my questions.

I could not recall what the warranty was on the Agramover, but the 5.0 is lifetime. During my most frustrating moments with the mover I have, a lifetime warranty seemed awesome!!

In case others have the same questions that I had, here is a summation of what I learned, from the owner:

The Agramover warranty is 1 year from purchase.

After heavy use (i.e. two lights), it should need maintenance after a year or so. In my dry climate, cleaning and greasing the rail is necessary every 3-4 months.

For multiple lights, tandem install is better, for mover longevity and lower maintenance, then side by side light placement.

A squeak in the same spot (back and forth) is a rail problem. My own opinion - Buy the rail from Agramover - more $$ but worth the lack of headaches.

My Agramover is less then a year old and used maybe 4 months since I bought it - due to the noise issues. This is what the owner said about noises - "Sometimes there is an intermitten squeak until the dimples in the wheels wear in to the point where the wheel flanges engage, then the noise goes away for good. If this is the case, you should have noticed the noise lessening over time. If the noise level has remained the same throughout, or gets worse, then there are two possible other causes. The most common is a wheel bearing. Yes, brand new wheel bearings can sometimes fail, about 1 in 200. The easiest way to diagnose bearing failure is to unplug the unit, leave the entire load mounted to it, compress the torsion spring on the motor assembly by placing your thumbs against the aluminum frame and squeezing the white spacers with your fingers to withdraw the traction wheel. Then move the unit by hand from one end of the rail to the other. You'll be able to FEEL the interference of the bad bearing and possibly hear it squeak. The last possibility seems to be unique to the last batch of wheels we got from our molder. Some don't fit the shafts very tight, so the wheels slide outward from the shaft until they're super tight against the inside of the rail. (The mold has since been fixed and they're running a new batch for us) If this is the case, you'll notice an obvious gap between the wheels and the bearings. The fix is replacing the wheels. One of my customers recently encountered this problem and he removed the wheels, wiped the shafts with nail polish remover as well as wiping the ID's of the wheels with a cotton swab and nail polish remover, then put a drop of super glue on the shafts before reinserting the wheels. I stand behind my products whether you buy 1 or 100."

My squeaking issue was the improperly molded wheels. Changed the wheels and it's all good! My plants respond well to the mover, with two 600w HID.

Again, I highly recommend this product.

yeah, newby, i understand the agra-mover site is just "info". if u wanna talk to them about a problem u need to always go to the ebay site. i don't yet own one of these, but a fellow grower in my area does & he's pretty well sold on them, due to good support. i hate it when they get u're mony & forget u...shows they don't care. this seller seems to care. we'll see after they get more successful!!!

those light mowers are rubish better off spendin money on another light and gettin it to work off timers one goes off one comes on for an hour or 2 alternate it and lights always handy if u want to go bigger ..

Back
Top Bottom