Lockout?

JayBuddz

whats up everybody? I have a big prob. From all the research iv done I think i have nutrient lockout. this is my first real grow and im kinda lost. if it is lockout how do i fix it? its ppp and 34 days planted. started with a clone. im using expert 9 month potting soil. no exra nutes added. The guy i got the clone from swares by it for ppp. with my inexp. i was over watering but cut back a lot after doin my homework. i have pics but not sure how to post them so ill just dicribe the prob for now. my bottom leaves turned yellow and got krispy. this keeps moving up my plant. being that its so young it has almost taken over the hole thing. the yellow starts at the tip and takes the leaf in bout a day or two. any ideas?:helpsmilie:

Reg tap. i dont have a ph meter so im not sure what its at. getting one soon i hope. (this grow is making me sad. She looks so sick)

DSC_0017.png

DSC_0018.png

DSC_0019.png

yeah there is a new shoot growin from where i had to cut a dead leaf but even there startin to go. i hope i can figure somthin out quik cuz shes goin fast. i read somewhere that flushing her might help. But wouldnt that over water? i gess im not quite sure how to do it and if i did it would prolly explain itself. any help on the flushing prosess?

Okay this is what I know:

If you're going to flush a soil plant, you give it 2-3 times as much water as there is soil in the pot. If your soil is proper it WILL NOT hold too much water. If it contains too much vermiculite (I THINK thats the one that absorbs water) as well as sphagnum moss, it will retain water, and the plant will essentially rot in the pot.

You're gonna wanna make sure it's ph adjusted water too, of course. PH is really important, and people don't give credit to it's scale: there is a HUGE difference in a solution that is ph 5.2 and ph 5.3... a 0.1 seems like a little to us, but it's actually a large difference, and it means alot to your plants.

Nutrients can only be uptaken by the plant within a particular PH range. If your plant needs calcium for example, and the PH level is not allow it to up uptaken, a lockout occurs. The plant will start to exhibit deficiencies, and the novice grower attempts to add more of that nutrient to solve the problem. Problem is that the more calcium you add, the more it becomes toxic to the plant.

People fix this by "flushing" and using good old osmosis. Remember in school, high to low? Everything in nature will move from a high concentration to the > low concentration.

So if your plant is loaded up with stuff and the water isn't, the stuff in the plant will move into the water because of osmosis. There is what's called an osmotic pressure being put on the roots, and it SUCKS everything out, fixing the lockout.

Hope that explains it good, and I've included a photo below that I found on the 'net that should help you understand ph range a bit better.

nutrient_chart_454.gif

sweet that helps a lot. so how do i tell how much soil i have? my pot has a 13" diam. and a 10" height. pretty much full. So say i have 1 gal. of soil, i would pure 3 gal. of good ph water through and just let it drain? and will that wash all the nutes out the soil? and if thats right so fare how long should i wait to water her after that?:hmmmm:

When it pour it in, It should drain right out the bottom in a few seconds. If it doesn't, you need to add more "bulk" to the soil, things like perlite.

You can tell how much water you need by just figuring how much water it would take to fill the pot 3 times.

Just be sure that you have adequate drainage. MaryJane doesn't like wet soil at all, it'll just drown.

edit: the soil should dry out in a couple days if the drainage is proper

What is the Ph of the plant. My guess is your getting these problems from Ph issues. Also, you stated you over watered the plant. Dig down into the medium and examine the roots. If they have pythium or root rot, then they need a lot of oxygen to fix them. No amount of nutrient you give it will be uptaked if the roots are severely damaged.

What is the Ph of the plant. My guess is your getting these problems from Ph issues. Also, you stated you over watered the plant. Dig down into the medium and examine the roots. If they have pythium or root rot, then they need a lot of oxygen to fix them. No amount of nutrient you give it will be uptaked if the roots are severely damaged.

+1. You have an obvious PH problem and without a ph test kit you dont know that the water youre flushing it with is within the PH range you need. Simply washing out all of the nutes isnt going to help especially with a deficiency which means the plant isnt getting enough of something. Go to the fish store and spring for a PH test kit for 5 bucks before you do anything else.

Looking at that soil... I think it may be the problem. Looks like the kind with lots of bark which in my experience doesn't work well.

One thing that's easy to find is worm castings... but maybe not this time of year. Anyway, this is my "wal-mart" formula - 1/3 worm castings 1/3 perlite 1/3 peat moss. Don't add any nutrients until the plant is pretty mature, then use the ones for orchids.

sweet thanx a lot guys ill get a ph tester soon as im back home. ill post the resalts of the test incase anybody wants to know. yall been a big help so far. thanx alot.:thanks:

Well i think i found my prob. my ph is bout 7.6ish. so ima do some research on how to lower it. any ideas on a cheap solution? and another ?. should i flush my plant? and if i do will it wash the nutes out of the soil? hopefully with a little tlc she'll be all fixed up. thax again for all the support so far.

Flushing will wash the nutes out... that's the major reason we flush.
I'm not sure this issue is worthy of a flush. Seems like the PH adjusted water would fix up your issues.... but I could be wrong. Perhaps some other folk will chime in with an opinion.
I use the PH down powder. It's pretty cheap and very effective. I've seen folks use household items like lemon juice or vinegar, but I'd spend a dime or two and get the PH down powder.

Cheers!

I use PH down every watering......using tap water it comes out of the pipe 7.8 or even higher.......If it were in a smaller container like a 1 gallon it would dry out faster which is good for all plants. I think it's a combo of to wet for the roots and lockout.

Heres my PPP at 52 days growing slow under florsents lights. There in 6" pots to keep them small......root bound!

PurePowerPlant.jpg

yeah i plan on getting the accual ph down soon as my check comes in along with some fox farm grow big and big bloom. dont know how to use the nutes yet but i gess thats y they come with directions. lol. I ran out and got some lemon juice for the time being and man dose it go along way! it only took bout 1 ml for a 2q jug. i also got a 14w tri-band led comin in! im pretty stoked. i havent found alot on leds but it sounds like a 14w should be plenty for my 1 ppp. oh yeah my run off was bout 6.8. a little higher than prime at 6.5 but im useing ph test salution so its as close as i can get tell i get a digi meter. should work great i hope.

i deffenetly will tead. i haven't really looked yet. i got the light for free so i wasn't gunna turn it down. ill do my research be for i use it though. whats ur opin. on them? ( ps. to anybody that wants to fallow this grow i started a juernal. Jaybuddz First grow ppp 2009)

i deffenetly will tead. i haven't really looked yet. i got the light for free so i wasn't gunna turn it down. ill do my research be for i use it though. whats ur opin. on them? ( ps. to anybody that wants to fallow this grow i started a juernal. Jaybuddz First grow ppp 2009)

Well... I've got several LED lights in place... 2 large panels and several smaller 23W spots. I still fill in the spectrum with 8 CF's. I uses them because I have heat issues. I'd much rather use a 600W (or better) HID light... but heat precludes that option.

There are many opinions and lots of data out there. Read read read!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom