Looking for advice on strain to grow outdoors in Northern Michigan?

Hello all, I am looking for advice on which strains would be a good choice to grow outside in the ground in Northern Michigan(zone 5A). It is a little cooler climate. I am looking for a strain that produces well in a little shorter grow season. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I'm 5b and have been challenged with autos during the summer (I grow them in the winter under lights).

I have just purchased several strains of Mandala Genetics (available from our 420 sponsor @SeedsMan) for my summer 2019 grow. Mandala are an Oregon based breeder which focuses on shorter seasons and climates similar to yours and mine. Below are 3x strains I think will do well for you...

I'm in the PNW, which generally requires faster-finishing strains, because the autumn's are so wet.

Be sure to look for strains w/ decent mold resistance, as well as relatively short flower times. I stick with plants with less than 9 week flower times.

As BH notes, many PNW seed suppliers provide seeds with fairly quick finish. I had really good luck this year with seeds that I picked up from Cannabeizein and Oregon Green Seeds, particularly the former. Advertised flower times for many strains with many seed companies are not accurate, but the stated flower times for the strains I grew from those two sources were spot on.

There's more info on the strains I grew in the link to my journal below.

There's also more suggestions at:
Let's talk northern harsh climates strains

Finally, it's usually worth growing at least 3 strains as part of learning what works.

Best on your forthcoming grow...outdoors is the way to go.

Grow on!

Best to you on your forthcoming grow!

Hello all, I am looking for advice on which strains would be a good choice to grow outside in the ground in Northern Michigan(zone 5A). It is a little cooler climate. I am looking for a strain that produces well in a little shorter grow season. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I live in Northern Michigan and been growing outside for years. We have a very short season that can and will get wet and cold fast. You need to be done by the end of September. If your not flowering by the end of July your not going to make it. You need almost a 100% Indica or one that's a least 80% Indica dominate. I start mine inside about the middle of April. I move them outside around June 14th only if the wheater forecast is good. If you put them out before than your asking for trouble here. Some of the strains that I found that would make it are Grape Ape, Afghani, Purple Kush, Hindu Kush, etc. It gets wet and cold here there will always be mold problems. You need to be on top of your pruning giving the bottom of plants alot of air flow. Again for Michigan outside there is only one way to go heavy Indica dominate or 100% Indica. Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom