Lots of Female Plants

OlderStoner

I've done several grows in the last few years and had remarkable luck in picking the right seeds which are female. No kidding, out of about 30 plants I grew in the last 5 or so years only 4 of them turned out male, all the rest were females. I got some seeds out of this last grow to save for later. But being the curious type, I wanted to see what kind of off spring my hard work produced so I grabbed one of the seeds and germinated it. It's now day 70 of it's grow and I've confirmed it too is female. Hooray! I was curious how that percentage is with other growers. Not against what the books on genetics say the odds are, but what other growers are actually seeing in their seed efforts.

BTW I should add that the original seeds I ordered which all these other seeds are descended from were called "feminized". And out of that order of 8 seeds, six of them did turn out female. So am I on a lucky streak or do the original feminzed seed pass their traits on for many generations because this last seed is the 3rd generation for the strains I'm producing.

Mother nature usually sees to it that she produces more females than males. That's true in mammals too. In a herd of deer there are ten or more females - one male. That's all it takes to 'fill' all those uterus-es. (What is plural for uterus ... uteri?) Mom nature does that by not only making more females, but making males weaker so they don't live to breeding age in the same numbers. The only reason the population of humans is (average) 51% female is because of scientific interference.

Seeds are the same. The majority of them will be female. Mother nature only needs ONE male plant to fertilize hundreds of females and make thousands of seeds - and that is the point.

So, your ability to pick females is helped by statistics ... but 80% female selection isn't bad.
You must be the "seed whisperer".

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom