Low temp flowering experiment?

Grandma Weedstein

So due to various reasons that are too boring to explain, I’ve got a couple spare plants (one male, one female) that I sprouted on a lark and are ready to flower. Also got a clone of my wife’s favorite cultivar ready to flower.

I live in a double-wide trailer and don’t have room for the tent in the house, so it will need to stay in the garage. I anticipate temperatures will not go below freezing but could get into the 30s F in my garage. I just flipped and expect the plants would be done sometime in December.

The thing is, I have never flowered at such low temperatures before. How much will low temps slow the flowering process? Will the plants themselves be able to live in temperatures that hover between 65 F — 35 F for a couple months?

Please keep in mind, this is an experiment. These plants were all started on a lark and I am not going to cry a river if none of this works out. I don’t really give a shit.

That said, this is science. Bro science? Perhaps. More like drunken Grandma science, but these are semantics.

My primary purpose with this thread is to see if folks have tried flowering at low temperatures and what they found.

My secondary purpose is for people to take bets on whether or not such a dumb idea can even work, or how badly I will fail. I am not worried about it — like I said, this is an experiment with plants that were germinated as an afterthought.

And just to answer any questions that come up: No, I am not able to move my tent indoors from the garage. My wife doesn’t have room and I don’t give enough of a shit to argue about it. No, I am not going to run an unattended heater in my garage. Yes, I will post pics but not right now because they are in dark period.

I’m curious enough to ride along for this one GmaWeedstein. It’s adapted to grow in all kinds of climates so why not give it a go?

Also want to add - if possible keep the tent elevated well above the concrete slab but then another thought occurred to me. A concrete slab in interior spaces remains at around 55 F degrees temp all year. On a warm day that’s a low temperature but on a cold day that could be a warm temperature. Don’t know if that helps your planning but wanted to throw that out there. Regardless major kudos to you for trying this experiment and sharing results!!!

I do run a thermostat controlled oil filled radiant heater unattended in my 12 X 12 grow room but it’s set on low plus I make sure thats it’s far removed away from anything plastic, wood or even remotely flammable.

I’m curious enough to ride along for this one GmaWeedstein. It’s adapted to grow in all kinds of climates so why not give it a go?

Also want to add - if possible keep the tent elevated well above the concrete slab but then another thought occurred to me. A concrete slab in interior spaces remains at around 55 F degrees temp all year. On a warm day that’s a low temperature but on a cold day that could be a warm temperature. Don’t know if that helps your planning but wanted to throw that out there. Regardless major kudos to you for trying this experiment and sharing results!!!

I do run a thermostat controlled oil filled radiant heater unattended in my 12 X 12 grow room but it’s set on low plus I make sure thats it’s far removed away from anything plastic, wood or even remotely flammable.
I’m thinking about using one of those seedling germination heating mats — it should help without raising fire danger, I think...

Back
Top Bottom