Low temperatures

xTopShelf

I've got a first timer bag seed garage soil grow going and have been dealing with low temps over the past few days. The garage is poorly insulated which I can't do anything about currently. The grow is in a tent with a space heater pushing warm air into the intake. It's pretty late into the flowering stages(Day 60) and the lights come on at night. If the lights were scheduled for day, the tent would probably drop down near 50F(15.5C). Right now the lowest it's gotten is 60F just before the lights popped on. Lights include a 400 HPS, and 8 100W(equivalent) CFLs.

My questions is, how much lower can the temp get below 60F(15.5C) before the plants start getting damaged?

My questions is, how much lower can the temp get below 60F(15.5C) before the plants start getting damaged?

Well thats about it 60f/15c

Short peroids of temp drops will not hurt... but prolonged peroids of several days may be damaging.

You can always run your heater when lights are off tho :thumb:

Well thats about it 60f/15c

Short peroids of temp drops will not hurt... but prolonged peroids of several days may be damaging.

You can always run your heater when lights are off tho :thumb:

Actually, cannabis is fine at even 50 degrees. It just stunts the growth a bit but it isn't gonna damage anything. I wouldn't let 60 degrees bother me. It's gonna get much cooler than that in the fall in several climates and that's when harvest takes place.

Actually, cannabis is fine at even 50 degrees. It just stunts the growth a bit but it isn't gonna damage anything. I wouldn't let 60 degrees bother me. It's gonna get much cooler than that in the fall in several climates and that's when harvest takes place.

Thats interesting to know.

Thanks for correcting & helping ol fuzzy improve knowledge :thumb:

Can you boost the temps and CO2 by running a coleman lantern in your room?? I used to run a lantern in my tent when camping in the snow. It kept my tent warmer ....

it got down in the the upper 40's during the end of my outdoor grow didn't huet them a bit. I've heard temps droppong below 50 helps turn buds purple I' don't know if any truth to that claim or not.

oldhippie, I have heard the same. Interestingly, I actually have some other normal house plants that sit on the indoor side of my window. Well my home is heated to around 72 F but the windows are much colder since it is in the 40-50s outside. The crazy part is that the side of the plant facing the window actually started turning purple while the other side stayed mostly green!

Side facing the indoors
DSC_00858.jpg

Side facing the window
DSC_008411.jpg

As an experiment I just recently (last couple nights) have started putting out a 3 inch tall MMJ plant that was already in 12/12 (just a clone that I flowered to determine sex) to see if I could turn it purple with the same simple method. Hopefully I will know in the next few weeks. Here's the before, I'll let you know when I have the after:
DSC_008019.jpg
DSC_008119.jpg

Thats interesting to know.

Thanks for correcting & helping ol fuzzy improve knowledge :thumb:

Its just been my own experience. The final few weeks of my outdoor sour diesel grow saw temps at night get to the mid 40's here and there. She did just fine. Its really freezing temps that can cause damage or death - cold temps just make her go a little dormant.

personally i would like to come at this from a different angle.

i dont see cold as a problem at all, i welcome it!

if you can afford to go out and buy space heaters e.t.c why dont you just get more lights? ;)
tho you dont really mention how many plants your growing. assuming your using 2700k cfls? or are you running mixed specrum flowering.

but with cfl's i reccomend 4 above ground level then 4 more every 6 inches or so of height minimum as they are nice and bright to human eyes but next to useless for plants at any range more than a few inches.

in my humble opinion i would ditch the heaters and cfls and invest in a couple more 600w hps or Ceramic metal halide (im new to them but they replace cfl,flouro,hps and mh as a 'wonder bulb'.)

and maybe keep the heater around for cold moments...also i reccomend storing breeze blocks in the garage to soak up heat during lights on and radiate it back out when its cold ;)

Back
Top Bottom