Second Grow - First Time Soil - White Widow - Super Silver Haze -Grapefruit -400W HID

Concept

Greetings, this journal is for my second grow, starting 6/10/2012 and estimating harvest at mid September. My first grow ended up not so well. Had 5 plants (jack 47, super silver haze, green crack, white widow, purple haze) in a home made 9 gal dwc system. Had a decent few problems and unfortunately I lost my ladies to nutrient lockout about 2 weeks into flowering :(. However, luckily I was able to take some clones before they completely died and some actually lived :D. Most of the clones died off, and me being in a panic and stoned off my ass, I didn't label who was who -_-.

So now we are here with 9 clones, two identified as white widow. I also have a grapefruit seed I germinated, and will be doing an experiment growing some mids seeds I have dubbed "Mr.Midz".

I have chosen to move away from hydro and into soil until I learn more about the plants. I am currently using FoxFarm Ocean Forest mixed with a bit of perlite. No nutrients being used yet, will need to find an organic nutrient once they munch what the soil already has. Which should be soon I think. They are currently under a 400w HID with Hortilux bulb. Have a small fan hanging with the HID as a cooling system, and of course an additional intake fan. I am currently running 20/4.

I am really excited to try this again and hopefully this time I can catch any problems early. I'm open to many ideas and really want to learn more about these plants so feel free to chatter.

Mommies
P1060441.JPG
P1060394.JPG

The starts of grow #2
P1060481.JPG

Some progression shots
P1060487.JPG
P1060505.JPG
P1060556.JPG
P1060578.JPG
P1060611.JPG
P1060630.JPG
P1060647.JPG

Re: Second Grow, First Time Soil. White Widow, Super Silver Haze, Grapefruit. 400w HI

Hi mate, Good job thus far!:thumb: Hope this grow has no problems for you and you can grow some nice ganja:) Ill keep an eye on this one if that cool? Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

Re: Second Grow, First Time Soil. White Widow, Super Silver Haze, Grapefruit. 400w HI

Your plants are fine, whatever you did in the beginning change that cause those leaves were yellow. Are you giving them any nutrients? Are you gonna top, fim, or lst? Besides that your stuff looks good

Thanks for the well wishes smokemupm8

Currently no nutrients just what comes in the foxfarm ocean forest mix, which from what I understand should be sufficient for the first 3 weeks of veg. However that time is upon me and I will be heading to the hydro store soon. If anyone has an organic nutrient I'd love to have some suggestions. I actually FIMed the grapefruit on the 8th. She seems to be responding to it well :D. Planning on FIMing most of them and will be training heavily once I move them to 5 gal pots. Just waiting on the cash for that though :/.

Thanks for the well wishes smokemupm8

Currently no nutrients just what comes in the foxfarm ocean forest mix, which from what I understand should be sufficient for the first 3 weeks of veg. However that time is upon me and I will be heading to the hydro store soon. If anyone has an organic nutrient I'd love to have some suggestions. I actually FIMed the grapefruit on the 8th. She seems to be responding to it well :D. Planning on FIMing most of them and will be training heavily once I move them to 5 gal pots. Just waiting on the cash for that though :/.
looking good concept im in.:goodjob:

In for the ride.

As far as nutes go it would seem everyone in your neck of the woods use blue planet nutes. Not sure if they are organic or not.

I'm using biobizz nutes which are organic although not sure if you get them over there

Alrighty, been awhile so we have a lot of growth :D. Plants are averaging around a foot now so we will be going into flowering shortly. Our flowering room is a 6x4x6, will be using the same 400w hid unfortunately, transplanting to 7 gallon pots as needed. Can anyone tell me if the 400w will be enough light, I know it isn't ideal but not sure how far from lol. Trying to afford to get a nice 600w or 1000w.

light?
Amazon - 1000w Super HPS MH Grow Light System with Cooltube Reflector. Best 1000 watt hydroponic grow light set. 1000w Ballast, Super High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide, 6" Air Cooled Tube, Rope Ratchet and Timer kit. Compare with Hydrofarm and Su

Friend gave me some grow stuff, most isn't usable for this, however he did give me this. What is this exactly, it seems like the nutrient stuff you mix with your soil before planting. Was kinda hoping it was a nutrient, like one you mix with water and such, like normal. But "fertilizer", I'm guessing that isn't what I want lol.

P1060746.JPG

Anyways here are some pix over the gap.

P1060700.JPG

widow
P1060704.JPG

grapefruit (ill be adding a pic of how she is now 0.o)

and recently (first 9 leaf woot)

P1060727.JPG

P1060735.JPG

P1060742.JPG

the white widow plants are showing some nutrient problems :/ really need some nutes.
P1060741.JPG

Can't wait to have a chance to do this without the money constraints :/.

Nutrient problem is going away, the ladies look much better now. I transplanted most of them which I'm sure helped, but also added some of that happyfrog stuff. Turns out it doesn't fully dissolve so my suspicion is correct that it isn't an actual nutrient mix. Works good enough to buy me a few days at least.

Going with these for the nutrients I think
Blue Planet Nutrients

Blue planet's grow mico and bloom organic

On a good note, the plants are getting to the point of being able to tell who was who's mother, so further strain identification should come soon. Know for a fact we have at least 3 white widow, the others seem to be different which is great news. Keeping in mind my mommies all died last time.

Everyone is being moved today to their new 6x4x6 panda film room. Flowering will start shortly, waiting on the widows to recover and to get a bloom mix. Can't afford another dead crop so trying to make sure my bases are covered before I flower. Room will have 9 4ft 54w T5s for under and side lighting, and the 400w hid for the canopy. Hope this is going to be enough light, guess I'll know once everything is set up. I'm expecting to need another light so I'll either be going with another 400w or a 600w preferably. Oooo literally just checking prices of 600ws, think it's a sign I should go with the 600, they be on sale atm for only $150 0.o. Going to try and grab that if I can before it goes back up.

So we would have a 400w and a 600w along with 9 54w T5s, so about 160,000 lumens which is about ~6,500lums/sqft or ~60w/sqft. I remember hearing the figure 50w per square foot as a good thing. So really going to bust my ass to get that 600w lol. More pix later today maybe.

subbed for this one mate, sorry to hear about the problems first time round, fingers crossed for you this time, the plants look amazing mate as well, so well dont.
my temps are very rarely at the guide of 78f, but i have tested different temps with my plants, i have found that all the 5 different strains i am growing prefer the higher temps, at 78f the plants grew and was healthy, but at 85 they grew like monsters and exploded with growth, they never show signs of heat stress, i got to admit i water more often, one of my plants has got huge leaves and they was starting to droop, then i found out my water was draining strait out the bottom of the pot so now i pour it slower and use a spray to soak the soil, after a few hours the leaves started stretching for the lights and problems solved, so my plants seem to prefer the higher temps, also if you can make your own co2 generator out of pop bottle and some yeast and sugar then this will boost the plants and they take more co2 at higher temps so will grow much better,

helpful tid bits, thank you much :). Interested in that diy co2 generator lol, gave me some homework.

plants are now ranging from 11in - 14in and nutrient problem seems to be going away. Flowering coming soon 0.0

subbed for this one mate, sorry to hear about the problems first time round, fingers crossed for you this time, the plants look amazing mate as well, so well dont.
my temps are very rarely at the guide of 78f, but i have tested different temps with my plants, i have found that all the 5 different strains i am growing prefer the higher temps, at 78f the plants grew and was healthy, but at 85 they grew like monsters and exploded with growth, they never show signs of heat stress, i got to admit i water more often, one of my plants has got huge leaves and they was starting to droop, then i found out my water was draining strait out the bottom of the pot so now i pour it slower and use a spray to soak the soil, after a few hours the leaves started stretching for the lights and problems solved, so my plants seem to prefer the higher temps, also if you can make your own co2 generator out of pop bottle and some yeast and sugar then this will boost the plants and they take more co2 at higher temps so will grow much better,

Concept,

Glad to see the plants are rebounding from that initial start. I would get nutrients asap, to me, any is as good as any. (As long as you know how to use them)

Heat needs to be your concern after your nutrients. You do not have any proper ventilation correct...and plan to use that tent for flower? Well, if so and you add that 600w you are going to kill all those ladies. What are your temps ranging from lately?

I am subbed. Hoping this turns out well for you.

Not really sure were the no ventilation part came in, guess I never really said did I lol :p. The small tent has an intake and circulation, passive outtake. Flower room (the 6x4x6) has 2 large "box fans", intake on the floor, outtake in the top. Temps atm are ~76/77 generally, the tent is generally a tad warmer closer to 78/79.

However, thanks for the information and concern. Always useful :)

Concept,

Glad to see the plants are rebounding from that initial start. I would get nutrients asap, to me, any is as good as any. (As long as you know how to use them)

Heat needs to be your concern after your nutrients. You do not have any proper ventilation correct...and plan to use that tent for flower? Well, if so and you add that 600w you are going to kill all those ladies. What are your temps ranging from lately?

I am subbed. Hoping this turns out well for you.

Have some pictures of last night. Moved the ladies to their new home. Going to train a few of the girls today. Happyfrog stuff seems to be helping a lot, hardly any signs of deficiency this morning. Looking at getting that blue planet stuff some time this week.

Stems are getting really really thick. Grapefruit

P1060807.JPG

Nice under lighting with a 54w T5. Although grapefruit loves her bdsm, her ties are loose, not to worry :p. And I cleared any foliage from the immediate area around the bulb of that t5.

P1060789.JPG

Still have 2 T5s, trying to think of their best usage

P1060787.JPG

Also have some clones starting to take root in a dwc clone system. Planning on starting another 5 plants soon. Universe willing my financial situation doesn't flop again. Still need to get some panda for that wall too.

hi concept:thumb: your getting there they are looking well..i hung all my lights on boards above plants and i thought it done a good job..maybe just my experience not sure.

Pushing Grapefruit and the two biggest White Widows to flowering back in the tent. Those three are all pushing 2 ft in height and circumference, the others are all around 1ftx1ft. The large room isn't light tight enough for flowering yet (dark enough, but I like pitch black for flower) and I need to install the odor control still. Neither of which I can afford to do this week. So to make sure I can fit everyone in my space requirements I want to make sure those 3 larger plants don't get any larger in veg. Also should make harvest a bit easier :p.

So now I have as such

3x3x6 tent:
400w HID
3 32w CFLs (under lighting)
1 Grapefruit
2 White Widow

6x4x6 room:
8 54w T5s
4 white widow
2 super silver haze

did you manage to get the bpn nutrients, it really is magic in a bootle, i got gifted the 3 part plus bloom booster, so i got the grow,micro,bloom and bloom booster, its like steroids for plants, if you do go with it then make sure you use the online feeding guide and not the guide on the back of the bottle, so download the guide, using the online guide you can start feeding the plants as soon as you see the next leave growing after the round seed leaves, bpn really boost the plants like crazy, i live in the uk but since using that my plants have grew like nothing i have ever seen, so now ive saved up for my next batch as it really is that good,
plus if you have any questions just drop corey a msg through his site and he will get back to you, he really does know his stuff, a top bloke and really helpful.
you got nice looking plants so bpn can only make them better, and trust me the difference is that much, so bpn really does improve anyones grow, plus it can be used for both hydro and soil grows, i use my bpn for both my soil grow and my dwc grow, and i got to admit as soon as my plants in the dwc hit the res they grow like crazy, i do 2ltr hempies and use bpn for these, as soon as the roots hit the res they grow like crazy,

Was planning on getting them, but it's nice to hear such a good review! Can't wait to try it out :D

really appreciate the input :)

did you manage to get the bpn nutrients, it really is magic in a bootle, i got gifted the 3 part plus bloom booster, so i got the grow,micro,bloom and bloom booster, its like steroids for plants, if you do go with it then make sure you use the online feeding guide and not the guide on the back of the bottle, so download the guide, using the online guide you can start feeding the plants as soon as you see the next leave growing after the round seed leaves, bpn really boost the plants like crazy, i live in the uk but since using that my plants have grew like nothing i have ever seen, so now ive saved up for my next batch as it really is that good,
plus if you have any questions just drop corey a msg through his site and he will get back to you, he really does know his stuff, a top bloke and really helpful.
you got nice looking plants so bpn can only make them better, and trust me the difference is that much, so bpn really does improve anyones grow, plus it can be used for both hydro and soil grows, i use my bpn for both my soil grow and my dwc grow, and i got to admit as soon as my plants in the dwc hit the res they grow like crazy, i do 2ltr hempies and use bpn for these, as soon as the roots hit the res they grow like crazy,

Was wondering about pot size and transplanting and all. Currently I am in mostly 7 gal pots, however I can see their roots are starting to poke out of the drain holes. So I was wondering how large of a pot should I expect to be in by harvest? Can they just kinda chill in 7 gals as long as their nutrient needs are met? Not sure how all that part works lol.

Back
Top Bottom