Maer's - 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experience

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

To clarify, the hydro nutes are synthetic. Some of the ingredients are derived from mineral rocks and others are not. I have consumed many vegetables grown with my 3 part. The ingredients in the organics are 100% natural. No chemicals in there. I am very interested to see what the organics do in a hydro environment as they have never been used in a hydro system. This is going to be interesting

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

To clarify, the hydro nutes are synthetic. Some of the ingredients are derived from mineral rocks and others are not. I have consumed many vegetables grown with my 3 part. The ingredients in the organics are 100% natural. No chemicals in there. I am very interested to see what the organics do in a hydro environment as they have never been used in a hydro system. This is going to be interesting

I plant on using the 3 part in hydro. And the organics in soil. I would try the organics in hydro but a thought you recommended against it? I don't care too much about the $15 harbor freight pump in there...

Ya, I recommended against the organic in hydro. I dont think it would work and you might have a mess. This is good. You should have a very successful garden. Too many journals and emails to keep up with to remember everything :)

I'm in. This looks very interesting. After we get our room up and running, we want to get some tom's, habanero and cilantro going inside this winter. The 60+ days of 100 degrees killed my tom crop this year. Which sucked for us.. none of our normal salsa sales.

Thanks man.. pulling up my chair!

My tomatoes were also garbage this year. They were either splits and watery or dry and hard. That is part of the reason I decided to start this project, I love tomatoes so much and hate that crap you get at the store in the winter.

So today I check in on the seeds and they had all popped, 4 or so have come above the surface of the cubes, so a very exciting day!

P1020162.JPG

I planted some of the items that will be growing on the periphery of the tomato garden. There is a Bell Pepper Mix, Poblano Pepper, Mesclun Mix, Clantro, and a split pot of Mountain Mint & Spearmint.

P10201551.JPG

A lot of progress has been made. I sterilized more soil, mixed in dolomite lime, and then added Root Magic mycorrhizae to the organic soil mix. The newcomers are Basil / Oregano, Chives, Little Gem Lettuce, and Iceberg Lettuce. I moved the Bell Pepper and Poblano to the 3 gallon pots to give them more room.

P1020261.JPG

I started the hydro system out with a full strength seedling dose. From all my reading tomatoes prefer an EC (Electric Conductivity) of 3.0 to 10.0 which means about 1500 to 5000ppm of salts (fertilizer) in the solution. The extreme level of fertilizer they prefer means none of the other plants can go in the tubes.

I was surprised when I took one of the rockwool cubes out and there were roots coming out of the bottom and sides! So I carefully put them in the net pots and then in to the tubes.

A shot of the roots and my sausage hands (lol):
P1020284.JPG

I now have the 180W LED right next to 6x24W T5HO, this is probably not the final config, actually I changed out the fan already.

P1020268.JPG

Nice. I've never grown any kinds that would pass the guidelines requirement of this site (lol). I've occasionally taken supplemental extracts in a halfhearted attempt to follow a healthier lifestyle, but don't consume them as food (just can't stand them, have never found a variety that appealed).

You'll probably have to shrink the thing a bit both in size and resolution to use it as an avatar here.

Lions mane is very tasty and good for you, they also look cool! Maitake are the same, a great meat substitute for those tree hugging smelly hippies that don't eat the real stuff that used to moo and eat grass. I get my stuff from fungi.com

Day 2 in DWF (Today is Day 3 numbers from yesterday)

5.8 pH
0.97 EC
691 ppm

Here is an example of the horrible crop from this year:

DSCF07174.JPG

Also does anyone know what this is?

P1020345.JPG

I also ordered a Hanna Continuous pH/TDS/Tmp - HI981504/7 it displays pH, temp, ppm at all times on a backlit display. No more rinsing, storage solution, waiting, and bullshit. I also got a 1/10 Coralife Aqua chill from ebay, I will have to make sure it is cleaned well...

Below are a few pics of my veggie garden earlier this year using nothing but my 3 part. The tomatoes were f'in amazing but needed some humic acids added for taste. Adding biojuice would have probably enhanced taste as well.

IMG-20110621-00073_2.jpg
IMG-20110624-00082.jpg
IMG-20110621-00080.jpg
IMG-20110621-00079.jpg

cucumbers, watermelons, and canteloupes. also mint, peppers and a few others. I don't take a lot of pics but I wish that I had. I will take more with my next garden. i am considering testing an experimental organic DWC unit that a friend is developing in my grow room. That might be a sweet project and I can join Maer in the off topic section!

Oh, the above pics were grown outside in 5 gal DWC buckets. I had to top off with about 2 gallons of water minimum each day when the temps got to around 100 degrees. I got tired of picking tomatoes and cucumbers after about 3 months and just let them dry up......

The watermelons grew so fast that almost every one split open. The canteloupes were really nice and the mint provided many pitchers of tea with a very nice flavor :)

That bug has me stumped man!!! I looked through google images for like over an hour!!! the closest I can find is an earwig but with wings!!!

:peacetwo:

That bug has me stumped man!!! I looked through google images for like over an hour!!! the closest I can find is an earwig but with wings!!!

:peacetwo:

Same here, it is an earwig-mite, or an flying antwig, or maybe an earwig gnat.

Seriously though it looks like some sort of fungus gnat, which is bad. I microwaved each quart of soil for 3-4 minutes (I upped it the second time) but I measured the temp at over 160 (about 180 fresh out of micro)... then I sealed it in the 5 gal for and hour. So I figure if I'm adding 180 degree quarts over other already heated stuff and I put the lid over but not sealed between batches. Guess not, I saw another today, this one a little more squished maybe not the same, or maybe a gender difference.

The antennae are to the bottom, wings kinda bent up. And by up i mean to the right.
P1020352.JPG
P10203551.JPG

now that 1 looks more like 1 I saw on google!!! let me go look for it again!!!

here is what I found that looked like it!!!

Parasitic-Wasp.jpg

now that 1 looks more like 1 I saw on google!!! let me go look for it again!!!

here is what I found that looked like it!!!

Parasitic-Wasp.jpg

Interesting. Well I am going with a blanket treatment. My old favorite Safer brand 3 in 1. I am giving it a lite soil drench and a light spray on the plants. I noticed it is potassium fatty acids and sulfur I may give half the tomatoes some as an experiment.

Back
Top Bottom