Maer's - 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experience

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

Further research says the purpleing and leaf curl is probably phosphorous deficiency due to low root zone temps. I have been keeping it around 64-65 with a fan and evaporative cooling.

I raised my heater temp to about 68, we will see where that puts me in a couple days. Hopefully the presence of zone in the water will keep anything from starting.

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

I still have some leaf curl and spotting on my tomatoes. I have seen a total of 5 fungus gnat type things but no signs of them when I looked down the sides. I cant find any in there with the magnifier... I may get some SNS 203 anyway.

I took out the duplicates of early girl and sun sugar, there is just not enough room. Here they are before the trash:

P1020526.JPG

Here is what the closet is looking like:

P1020533.JPG
P1020529.JPG

I added 4.5 gallons of fresh water today and 50ml of each BPN G/M/B, no other additives. My pH has been stable at 6.0 (EC 2.6) for over a week.

After adding the water and nutes I am at

5.85 pH
3.47 EC

They have exploded to the point that I need to install a support truss today, I will take pics after!

This is AFTER I trimmed out tons of leaves, only a couple full branches of leaves, but 5-6 places where I cut sucker leaf branches in half.

P1020570.JPG

I bought 5 new T5HO tubes, they didn't have 6500K in stock so they are 4200K there is one new 6500K bulb at the front.

P1020543.JPG

Here are some potential problems:

I think possibly the neoprenes are too tight, the main stalk seems thinner where it comes through neoprene than it is above it. Either that or some kind of infection, I scrapped a couple of the stems and saw healthy material underneath. There are bumps near the bottom which I thought were fungus gnats or shoreflies that had burrowed into the stems, but after cutting one or two they seem to be root primordia forming.

P1020553.JPG
P1020547.JPG

Also there are black spots on the stems of almost all of the plants, I am not sure if this is normal or not. I think it make be as they seem to be at the base of the hairs coming from the stem.

P1020560.JPG

Looks good Maer, those bumps are roots trying to form. That's why you always transplant tomatoes deeply, I cut off almost all the branchs, just leave the growing tip, and plant it deeep.

I added about 5 gals of filtered water today, the numbers settled at:

6.1 ph
2.67 EC

I woke up a couple days ago and found the first flower clusters forming! This morning they were open and the leaves curled back - that means they are ready to be pollinated. I was looking around for something appropriate and I asked wifey if she happened to have an old electric toothbrush... and 5 minutes later she walks out of the attic with - a 10 year old electric toothbrush. I normally criticize her for keeping so much useless stuff, but in this case it helped out.

P1020712.JPG

Here are things as they look today, getting very crowded and I am wondering WTF I was thinking.... I may eventually wind up taking out most of the soil pots, but for now I am going to hang tough.

P1020712.JPG

6.4 pH
4.77 EC

I added Bio - Juice and Dark Matter Humate tea by Blue Planet Nutrients - of course - about two days ago and raised the pH and EC because fruits are now forming!! About a week ago my first flowers came in and I have been pollinating them twice a day. After a day or two some of the blossoms dropped off, which I thought was bad, but that means they are pollinated and the day after the blossom dropped off I saw small beads of fruit forming.

P10208161.JPG
P1020812.JPG
P10208091.JPG

I killed the Zinfandel yesterday - I thought it was the plant blocking the tubes and causing this slow flow I have been suffering from. Well, it wasn't, now I am thinking it is the Sun Sugar on the end. I also thought the Zin had stem rot, I inspected several cross sections of the stem and found no rot, just the part where I messed with it because of the brown part - I now think the brown was caused by the neoprenes squeezing the stem too much.

I am going to take everything out after I harvest the current fruitset for a couple reasons. First I cant get rid of the fungus gnats. I tried safer soap, SNS203 - SNS worked much better but after a soil drench and two foliars I am almost out of the 8oz bottle I bought and still a couple hanging around.

I removed both the Bloody Butcher and Health Kick, all the tomatoes had blossom end rot.

I think it is because of the way I have been venting the closet - it was probably getting colder in front than in back and toward the fan. This will be solved by the arduino controlled vent fan - I plan to inject the air in such a way that it mixes with the hot air above the light before it reaches the plants.

Looks great. Hey you can make some yellow index cards smeared with vasaline to keep check on fugus knats. They will stick to the cards. Blue works to for other bugs. Looks great Dude. You going to have yamatoes year round now. Way Cool Keepem Green

sucks about the BER. You were using the 3- part for the tomatoes, correct? THere is plenty of calcium in there. Your EC was really high. Maybe that caused a lockout? I always keep my mature producing tomato plants at about 1200 to 1500 ppm max and the tomatoes are immaculate.

I did what Corey recommended and dialed the ppms back when I did my res change.

6.2 pH
2.0 EC
67 Res Temp
74.5 Day set temp
67.5 Night set temp (does go lower but not higher)
18 / 6 Light cycle

The closer as of today:

P1020960.JPG

Here are the Sun Sugars showing signs of ripening:

P1020967.JPG

Two views of the Early Girl fruit truss still holding strong:

P1020970.JPG
P1020972.JPG

Some SOLO cups with rockwool and hydroton for starting new seedlings:

P1020962.JPG

This is the blower I installed so the closet will not overheat while I am away:

P1020965.JPG

Here are the roots I had to cut because they were creeping into the res:

P1020913.JPG

This is what the res looks like after adding Humate Tea, it settles out and sticks in the roots where it can do its magic in about 12 hours:

P1020919.JPG

I too am waiting to see how they end up. I've never tried tomatoes indoors, just everything else. Nice fan setup........what is the frequency of it running with the LEDs?

Back
Top Bottom