Market for root balls

BobOJ

420 Member
After harvesting I'm left with 85 5 gallon root balls... I'm thinking there must be a way to utilize these. I've read that the roots have medicinal properties, but where is the market? How to turn all of these root balls into $$$? Has anyone explored this or is this actually a thing and I've just never heard of it?

Thanks.

BobOj

I read somewhere that a great way to innoculate with mycorrhizal fungus is just to shake all the dirt off old roots that you know have been innoculated, cut them up really finely, then mix it into the fresh soil. I'm a newbie so I can't confirm or deny the claim but I was researching myco quite recently and I clearly remember reading that somewhere, might be worth looking into?

85? Damn! I thought I had a lot of soil to get rid of. Never had near that much LMAO. I do know a grower that has been a outlaw grower for years. Here are a couple of his tricks.

First you are not going to get people to buy your root balls. Nice try though LOL. It is the abundance of soil that creates the biggest problem. My friend mostly breaks up the root balls and soil when they are dry enough to do so. Dry roots break up easier. He basically smashes it all back into lose soil and spreads it out on the lawn. Just like a top dressing. Once it is racked in you won't see anything in a couple days. By the next harvest it is all grown in and ready for another top dressing. His lawn is as lush as anything I have seen it is like walking on carpet.

I do a similar thing. In the fact I wait for them to dry them bust them up. When they are dry you can cut out the stalk and biggest roots coming from it before busting them up. Soil here has lots of clay in it. I have a couple close friends that use it every year to supplement their garden soil. It won't add any nutrients that matter. It does make the soil so much better for growing.

Back
Top Bottom