Mary's Garden - Second Grow - Low Budget - CFL - 2014

MarysGarden

My 2nd grow. Once again a bagseed mix as I want to work on a few things and experiment with different methods of stress training etc I dont want to be "experimenting with good quality and pricey seeds... If this grow is as worthy or better then my first grow, Im gonna invest in some good seed.

I would love for people to give me ideas on what I should experiment with during this grow!

$ Cost $
Jiffy Pellets .15 cents x 20 = $3.oo Amish Garden Center
Jiffy Pots .20 cents x 20 = $4.oo Amish Garden Center
Warming Mat 2 dollars x 1= $2.oo Thrift Shop
CFL Bulbs 2.50 x 5 = $12.5o Lowes
1 to 2 way splitter 2.00 x 2 = $4.oo Lowes
Soil & Perlite 10.00 x 1 = $10.00 Walmart Garden Center
Rooting Hormone 6.00 x 1 = $6.00 Amish Garden Center
Seedling Tray - .25 cents x 2 = $0.50 Amish Garden Center
Monty's 2-15-15 11.50 x 1 = $11.50 Amish Garden Center
Car Reflective Sun Visor 3.00 x 1 = $3.00 Dollar Store

Total startup cost = LESS THAN $$60

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? The seeds are in the germination process. Popped them in soil about 3 days ago.
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Soil, Perlite
If soil... What size pot? in cup sized jiffy pots as of now.
Size of light? CFL Bulbs
Type and strength of ferts used? basic 20-20-20 to start with

Monty's Root & Bloom 2-15-15
IMG_049527.JPG

Rooting Hormone Powder
IMG_049631.JPG

Seedling tray warming mat
IMG_048828.JPG

Picked this up at a local thrift store for 2 bucks and it works beautifully ;)

Placed warming mat under the seedling tray
IMG_048925.JPG

Seeds germinating in Jiffy Pellets
IMG_048528.JPG

I will post pictures and update every time I see notable progress :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm in.
Love a good budget grow. Almost all my stuff is recycled, repurposed or made cheaper by any means available to me. I'm Scrooge McDuck lol

If you're looking to experiment, you could maybe give some of the popular training methods a try? FIM'ing, Topping, Supercropping, Scrogging... all God's rich tapestry :)
Really depends what your comfortable with.
I'm also on my second grow; I've topped a couple a little and supercropped another pair and I'm attempting the creation of my own seeds.

Really like the setup you've got there; what's the wattage of the CFLs?

Hey, thanks guys!

Equanimity, they are 150watt CFLs. In my first grow I topped succesfully and will def do again for this grow, I also successfully super cropped, but I didnt stumble on the info on supercropping method until i was well into the flower/budding cycle. So I probably didn't do it at the most ideal time but I still ended up with some decent smoke :) I just checked out your 2nd grow..really diggin the set up you created. I feel like we have a similar style to our approach in set up down to how we photo journal the grow lol.... Good luck with the seed creation, that sounds pretty rewarding!

Oh I was wrong saying 150 watts... It says "150 watt equivalent". It actually uses 42 watts of power and is 2800 lumens. I use this for the veg stage.

How many of those you got?

Keep in mind, your gonna want all the lumens you can get on them and even though warm white is for flowering and cool white is for veg, you can mix and match with no ill effects.
So, if you have warm whites you're sitting on for the flowering stage, get em in there and don't be afraid to use the cool white in flower. It's all good*.

* except incandescent, which is useless in every way.

I have 4 each for the two stages, I wasn't aware you could use both during either stage, thanks for the info!
do you think 8 lights would be too much at this point? the seedlings just broke soil last night.

PHOTO UPDATES :)

So I asked all my buddies to keep their eyes out for seeds so I can have alot of material to experiment with :) this is what I got after 2 days from about 6 people :)
IMG_050621.jpg

We are going to go back in history to how I germinated the seeds I used for this grow. I planted directly into soil last time, so I wanted to change it up and try the wet paper towel method. So I popped the seeds on a wet paper towel.
IMG_051222.jpg

Folded the wet paper towel over the seeds
IMG_051320.JPG

And then I put the paper towel in a bad to trap moisture. I proceeded to place it in a dark place in a cabinet. I brought it out daily to check, and after 3 days all 3 seeds popped and I sowed them into little jiffy peat pellets.
IMG_051525.JPG

From there, when I saw that the seedling were trying to break the surface, so I was convinced enough to believe that they were in fact gonna make it so I took my next step and transplanted the peat pellets into small peat pots with basic potting soil.
will transplant into final container upon achieved growth goal.
IMG_049728.jpg

Peat Pellet Transplant into peat pot
IMG_050027.jpg

Filled in to level out surface
IMG_050131.jpg

Works Finished for the day :)
IMG_050222.JPG

New Space Heater donated to me by a good tokin friend :) Its getting very cold outside and the spare bathroom I converted to my grow room seems to have the poorest insulation in the house, So I use this to quickly adjust or maintain a desirable temp for my babies
IMG_050320.JPG

Time to put one in the air :volcano-smiley:

I am getting a Phillips 400 watt MH bulb and ballast set up tomorrow for free from this chick I know... FOR FREE :)
How much better can it get? haha I will need some help with how far I can put it from the plants etc :)

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom