Methods on Drying and Curing Trimmings before making hash/butter/oil....

taymgates

I usually take my trimmings and divide them up with about two plants worth of trimmings per paper bag depending on the harvest can be a handful of bags, I then take those bags and just hang them in my drying closet on the string. The temps in my drying closet are 19 C at night and around 23 C at day and my humidity stays in the 45-55 range the whole time. After the leaves are dried but the stems don't snap which usually takes me about three days or so sometimes more I throw them in a jar and let them dry/cure over the course of a week in a mason jar.. I burp them for around a hour a day to begin and decrease that time over the week. This all depends on where my humidity level is in the jar.. I will throw my small Caliber III hygrometer in the jar over night to see where they are... I use this chart below to see where my trimmings are before I use them for whatever my heart desires Honey Oil, Bubble Hash, Cannabutter....

This can take me a week or so after harvest or it can take me three weeks, All depends on how conditions and how long I burp the bottle and at what RH I put the trimmings in the jar..

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

I highly recomend getting one of these Caliber III hygrometer... they can be purchased on ebay or amazon for $20 and are highly reviewed for there accuracy and are extremely small and can be throw into any jar with ease to check your products RH.. Its an awesome tool to have to make sure you have a great slow cure...

Back
Top Bottom