My 2 week old AK47 autoflowering plant experiencing leaf tip droop and margin curl

pirate43

Help.... My searches have turned up many potential causes for this problem but I don't want to magnify the problem by embarking on the wrong course of action. Here are the details....

What Strain is it? AK47 autoflower
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid - 65% Sativa and 35% Indica
How Many Plants? One plant
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegetative stage
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 15 days since emerging from soil
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? Not yet flowering
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 50% soil and 50% perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 7 gallon
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 8 CFLs - two (68w/4200 lumens/ 2700k each), three (19w/1300 lumens/ 5000k each), and three (26w/1600 lumens/6500k each) all affixed to an inverted 24 inch diameter round alumium pan which is hung above the plant. Presently I have light 12 inches above plant but it has been as close as 3 inches. Lights on 24/0.
Is it Air Cooled? Air cooled with small occillating tower fan
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Presently 77 degree (but previously has been as high as 81)
RH of Room/Cabinet? Presently 37% but has been as high as 54% during earliest stages of growth.
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Roughly 6.0 but I'm using a 99 cent test kit from local plant store so who knows.
Any Pests? None
How Often are you Watering? Day two .5 gallon of 5.8pH distilled water only, Day four .25 gallons of 5.8 pH water only, Day Seven .25 gallons of 5.8 pH water only, Day Nine 1 gallon of 5.8 pH water and .25 Teaspoons of Miracle Grow Tomato fertilizer, and Day Thirteen 1 gallon of 5.8 pH water and .5 Teaspoons of Miracle Grow. The finger in soil testing showed each watering was necessary. That perlite sure helps drain well.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? I'm a newbie and read that Miracle Gro Tomato feed does a decent job. At day Nine gave .25 TEAspoon and at day Thirteen gave .5 TEAspoon mixed with watering. No other nutes but I am expecting a shipment of Fox Farm shortly. I also have some Cal-Mag available if needed.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 24" x 30". Closet area but open to room.

It's now day FIFTEEN and plant is 4.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches tall. I have no clue if that's good or bad. It's the curling of the leaf margins, a bit of twisting of some lower leaves and the leave tips curling down that sent a red flag up. I'd appreciate any guidance/suggestions.

plant1-11-29-13a.jpg

plant1-11-29-13b.jpg

Re: My 2 week old AK47 autoflowering plant experiencing leaf tip droop and margin cur

Looks like heat stress/dehydration to me. But I couldn't be sure about that. Try to keep your ambient air temps at 70°-75°F and turn up your fan if you can. I haven't had problems with seedling growth before but it looks like the heat and lack of water. Check your pH with something more reliable. Use the liquid pH test kit by General Hydro or anyone else that sells it or buy a cheap pH meter.

I pH my R.O. water to the same pH I want my soil to be. That's about 6.5 to 7.0. Too much acidity will lock up those nutes in soil.

Let the poor plant rest. 24 hours of light is too much and the dark period is used for the Calvin cycle a.k.a. carbon reactions pathway. Photosynthesis is incomplete without the darkness.

Re: My 2 week old AK47 autoflowering plant experiencing leaf tip droop and margin cur

Excellent advice which I plan to follow. I have just now changed lighting period to 20/4 and upped fan speed. I'll complete your other suggestions asap. Glad to hear that water and soil pH should be around 6.5 to 7.0. I've heard various optimal pH ranges. Thanks again for the advice.

Ellevista, do you have an idea of how long it should take before I see some improvement with the leaf curl problem? Ambient temp is now at 73, CFL lights have been raised to about 13" off plant, light period has been changed to 20 on/ 4 off, fan is now on HIGH and I'm slowly increasing pH of water by giving .5 gallons of 6.1 pH water last night. I have a liquid pH tester but need to find an accurate soil pH tester.

Back
Top Bottom