My First Grow - Is This Normal?

jandre2k3 said:
Hydroponic nutrient rang is not exclusive to the nutrient maker.

The optimal range is 5.5 to 6.1 I've had success though at 5.2 to 5.5, but I wouldn't suggest staying that low for most cannabis plants. That was a singular instance, and that plant is now gone. I have left my res for 11 days with BPN and it was at 6.0 when I returned.

If you calibrate, there is no need to readjust.... that would ruin your calibration.

Glad you found that your other pen works!! This is good news indeed.

I called into hydro shop for the buffer 10 and the 3point seemed to work fine when I re tested with the buffers and not calibrated the buffers and readings after all 3point calibration using 3 buffers all in this order. As follows were buf 7 @ 6.9ph, buf 10ph @ 9.9 & buf 4 @ 4.0ph.

But when I tested the old 1 which was already calibrated@buffer7. with all 3 the buffer4 read@3.1 & 10 @ 9.0. I will test again later with the old 1 and confirm with die ink ph testing local water and then test using both ph meters.
I swear m8 it's official I'm losing the plot!!
Driving me round the bend lol.
I have had the old 1 for nearly 7months but used bc it for a total of 3.5month's. Without being cleaned so I may have to dash it. Gutting any thoughts as I heard they don't last long.

Ooh yeah I bought an EC digital meter made buy HM .EC-3 Conductivity meter.as I am not able to measure the .EC buy like .ec2.0,2.1,2.2,2.3 & and so on as the stick measured in four jumps and not accurate as I'd like it to have been .bb jt a good swirling stick.
Converting from 0-9990yS/CM (backwards y tho) lol as I am UN sure at the moment and preffered your advice to there's Shame on them lol.
So my trucheon was flashing between 1.6-2.0 (1.8 more like) but the new meter read at 265x10flashing!!
So does this mean it is too high @ 2.6 .EC??.
Tested the tap water aswell and read @315 no flashing x10 tho.

So did you ever notice when using a different range of Nutrients that you were able to leave unattended for periods of time?.

What about ph run off? I mean what is this optimum range.
Flushing/cleaning and sanitise res and pots now can flush with local tap be ok??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Runner

YEah, prolly need to scrap the old one, and use the 3-point one. Stop driving yourself crazy.

Runoff PH matters not, really, in a hydro system.

EC 2.6 WAY TOO HIGH! I'm a bit confused, though... What is the exact meter you are using? Model #, please. 265x10=2650 this number is more likely PPM and not EC. Can you switch to actual EC? The reason I ask for Model# is to find that model's conversion factor if you cannot switch it to EC. 2650, depending no your conversion factor could work out to EC 3.78, or EC 5.3. both of these are still too high. If it is 265 / 10 = 2.6, it is still way too high.

I really need your meter's maker and model# so I can better understand your equipment before I go any further with advice.

Is this it?

To convert µS (micro-Siemens) to mS (milli-Siemens): divide by 1000.

1000 µS = 1 mS

If it is 265*10=2650, then divide: 2650/1000=2.650, it is still way too high.

Damn man, you know your shit mind and wanna take my hat of to ya bro :goodjob:,
Thanks for clearing that as be lost other wise lol,

So this was the reason behind why i bought the new EC meter, As my Ec@2.0-2.1ish,temps 20.c Ph 5.8!,
But if you take a lil look at the pictures of the older growth and the less damaged parts (4-5tops out of3plant's, damn? they've tested me alright) The fan leaves are too dark for my liking here----->
20120702_205847.jpg
20120702_110418.jpg

Undamaged tops/buds------>
20120702_110437.jpg
20120702_205855.jpg
20120702_205955.jpg

So it was clear my EC stick was reading right of the scale pmsl, leading to me getting a new 1.
Must say considering what they've gone through there looking ok!
So time to pick your brain for info.....
1. I have noticed a few of the damaged buds died/dried out?? Which made me realize where i'd pulled the leaves and a few where i'd rushed have scared real bad and some of the dameged leaves from PH issue have also sort of damaged the smaller buds.
Now is this drying of the buds due to where to many leaves were pulled of incorrectly? As i had to go over with a scalpel and get the hard scaring of there,
Or lack of moisture to the buds,
Also where the underdeveloped buds haven't formed properly now will this make harvesting them longer??? Or will they still be underdeveloped???
Newer growth seems to be greener than lime colour, Still can'y find much info on ph problems during flower apart from veg.

With EC too high, and pH way off, those buds were likely damaged in the ordeal. It was nothing you did, nor was it the product of defoliation of dead/damaged leaves. I doubt that those dried buds left will come back either, so it's probable best to remove them and if the stem is dead, cut it all the way back to where green healthy growth is. That dead will suck moisture and nutes away from the growing/thriving areas of the plant.

Also the dark green is a sign of High N. Dark green is not a bad thing at this stage of development. They're jsut letting you know they're beginning to get happy again.

Yeah the dried out 1's I cut stem right back and all the smaller 1's too, a big set back and the problem was for over 2wks really. Ooh well must admit I thought it would be better than the first 1, the plus side of things it has helped me understand the plant and its problems.
At least all is in check now (I hope lol and haven't bothered with the old .ph pen).
At least I know what PH is all about and can lock out the nutritious nutrients thus stopping the plant from growing hut alsos§ glad I was helped to detect that it was .ph and not thinking it was an NPK or a NPK micro nutrient deficieny thus adding more Nutrients thinking it is the problem now I'm glad this didn't happen lol.?? So I have been reading.
Think I'll be lucky to get a Oz.

Got to admit tho I will have a bad lose ratio electricity,meters,nutes which leads me to a question about my nute schedule as t he Explode is like £26 so and will need to find a more suitable nutrient package at a lesser price. But want a nutrient more simpler schedule but then I can't really say or comment properly on this schedule as I was using cheap tools and learnt a valuable lesson.

Need to check your links on converting a 5gal bucket for clones?? Or am I better of going with something like you use ebb and flow as I could also do clones and veg at the same time couldn't I?? Would be great any advice Jandre!! Or would my Atami wilma be better for the cuttings and vegging or adding smaller pots on the tray.
I do know that when I transplanted the male the roots where like an inch ish thick wound up at the bottom and crazy to think how all that growth don't lift the volume of clay corn up higher lol.( have to check if I had uploaded a pic lol).

I will not be diving into the clones again yet! until I got it running smoothly as I have a few femminised seeds left, Aswell as regular but want to get it right or going good before I do a Kush strain so I will wait to keep the Kush strains like Northern lights x Big Bud fem , Big Bud reg and DNA Lemon skunk. Because I heard that these strains are a lot harder than say Cheese or Diesel?? Is this true.

T5's £70 ish, Looks Fab too but was hoping of something a ill bit less expensive, I know I shouldn't be thinking like this but as it is my daughters birthday today,my son's 4days then my youngests b'day +2holidays. I need to either wait then buy the T5 or something like 30-40. But I will regret it it in the long run.......
Obviously what I need to do lol I said it myself.:peace:

I don't have any links for a 5Gal Cloner. If I did a bubble cloner it would be with a roughneck tub with a lid.

About the Atami Wilma: I've said it before, and I'll say again. Any time you leave a hydroponic reservoir open to the air, you're inviting trouble with algae, spores, dust, evaporation, and other contaminants. This leads to unstable pH and EC issues, like the ones you have already experienced.

With the Ebb&Flow system like mine, I keep it in a sealed, and air filtered box with negative air pressure and extraction fan. This way I can control the contaminants that enter the box, and keep them to a minimum. I even filter the air going in through a HEPA filter in the side wall to keep pollen, and spores to a minimum. Yes I built it out of cardboard, and the next I build will also be built of cardboard as well, but with some tweaks to the original design, and certain things will be changed for air leaks and such that I had to seal up after the fact on this one.

It is possible to maintain a good Ebb&Flow system without all the precautions, and if you want to build one, I will help giving you pointers along the way. DIY Ebb & Flow

I have also nixed the T5's that were in the flower box for a true growing light, 400w HPS with a magnetic ballast that I found second-hand for $70 (£44.86). That was my most expensive single purchase for this entire growing adventure I'm on. I bought all the T5's separately, but they totaled $125 for all six (£80.07). Given the choice with the knowledge I have now, for T5's or HPS, I would HAPPILY shell out the scratch for the HPS even at $200 (£128.14) before trying to flower under T5's again.

Taking all this acquired knowledge from my experience, and running with it, would be best for you, but your budget may not allow for the HID. I would suggest getting rid of the Atami and at least building yourself an Ebb&Flow if you want to stay hydroponic. That 5Gal bucket as a res, instead of 1.4gal buckets on top of a tray, would probably be the best course of action to correct the problems you've been having. With the BPN, I find that in 5 US gallons it stays in pH range for almost a week, sealed, and cool (68F/20.5C). I often run out of nutes in the res before I have to adjust for pH to get in range again. You could even probably use the pump from your Atami to run the Ebb&Flow!

Get a Bus Tub, some tubing, the drains and the screens wouldn't be too bad for you to get. You already have the hydroton so you could re-purpose it for the Ebb&Flow. Just the rockwool starters would need to be purchased on a regular basis, and those are pretty cheap. I buy a sheet of those for $14 (£8.97) and there's 98 of them in the sheet. Even the way *I* clone it lasts me 2-4 runs; that's 20 to 40 weeks.

I don't have any links for a 5Gal Cloner. If I did a bubble cloner it would be with a roughneck tub with a lid.

About the Atami Wilma: I've said it before, and I'll say again. Any time you leave a hydroponic reservoir open to the air, you're inviting trouble with algae, spores, dust, evaporation, and other contaminants. This leads to unstable pH and EC issues, like the ones you have already experienced.

With the Ebb&Flow system like mine, I keep it in a sealed, and air filtered box with negative air pressure and extraction fan. This way I can control the contaminants that enter the box, and keep them to a minimum. I even filter the air going in through a HEPA filter in the side wall to keep pollen, and spores to a minimum. Yes I built it out of cardboard, and the next I build will also be built of cardboard as well, but with some tweaks to the original design, and certain things will be changed for air leaks and such that I had to seal up after the fact on this one.

It is possible to maintain a good Ebb&Flow system without all the precautions, and if you want to build one, I will help giving you pointers along the way. DIY Ebb & Flow

I have also nixed the T5's that were in the flower box for a true growing light, 400w HPS with a magnetic ballast that I found second-hand for $70 (£44.86). That was my most expensive single purchase for this entire growing adventure I'm on. I bought all the T5's separately, but they totaled $125 for all six (£80.07). Given the choice with the knowledge I have now, for T5's or HPS, I would HAPPILY shell out the scratch for the HPS even at $200 (£128.14) before trying to flower under T5's again.

Taking all this acquired knowledge from my experience, and running with it, would be best for you, but your budget may not allow for the HID. I would suggest getting rid of the Atami and at least building yourself an Ebb&Flow if you want to stay hydroponic. That 5Gal bucket as a res, instead of 1.4gal buckets on top of a tray, would probably be the best course of action to correct the problems you've been having. With the BPN, I find that in 5 US gallons it stays in pH range for almost a week, sealed, and cool (68F/20.5C). I often run out of nutes in the res before I have to adjust for pH to get in range again. You could even probably use the pump from your Atami to run the Ebb&Flow!

Get a Bus Tub, some tubing, the drains and the screens wouldn't be too bad for you to get. You already have the hydroton so you could re-purpose it for the Ebb&Flow. Just the rockwool starters would need to be purchased on a regular basis, and those are pretty cheap. I buy a sheet of those for $14 (£8.97) and there's 98 of them in the sheet. Even the way *I* clone it lasts me 2-4 runs; that's 20 to 40 weeks.

WOW, info over load, But thanks Jandre never fail to surprise me.

So rough neck 5Gal Bubbler, Now cuttings how long could they veg for in this??? i am thinking 2-3wks,
But then i think i'd be better of chucking a bushy Mum in the buble ain't i??

Ebb+Flow system: Scary this is as of the filling with water, But may need help soon and will be greatly appreaciated when that time comes thank you.

Lighting T5's or HPS so what you have said and giving your vast knowledge on the subject and think a 250hps maybe digital dimable if price is right.

Atami Wilma! I do remembmer you saying so on my first grow that your not a Big admirer of the open reservoir and the reason why. I may take your advice here as i could grow 5 plants in the 30gal (35gal comfortably) reservoir.
Question. now if i have 2plants near the end say week 6 flower and i put 3 more plants in now what about the EC?? I mean can this still be done?

PICTURE UPDATE:
SAM_3641.JPG
Cheese are starting to come around, compared to the other 2.
SAM_3640.JPG
SAM_3639.JPG
SAM_3638.JPG
SAM_3637.JPG
SAM_3636.JPG
SAM_3635.JPG
SAM_3634.JPG

So what do you think my friend?? PH seems to be going very slowly in th Cheese strain, But the Cheisel is looking nicely.
These were taken 2 days ago and last night i went up and they more than doubled in size,
Will get more pictures as i want you to see if all is good.

Coming to the end of week 3, starting week 4 Sunday! But the Reservoir has 10 liters or so left and the Oxygen pump had be be turned of as it is to low, So i took it out and will let the plants drink what they can as things seem to be right at the moment.

PS, I will definitively need to do something regarding the Atami wilma 11l pots! Now the root mass needs more room and these pots are inadequate, And the question i need to ask is do the roots grow a lot more during flowering or is the root mass at it's peak for absorption. :peace:

jandre2k3 said:
Stems reddening at this stage is perfectly normal for some strains as photosynthesis starts to wane. Not a big deal this far along, but if you want to correct, you could up the P and K a tiny bit.

Well I was thinking we're the reservoir is getting lower and using up the available nutes thus the red on the stems..
But EC @26 a lil high or is this normal as the reservoir gets lower. I know that doesn't mean there is a great deal of P&k available.
.ec week four.
Running low on Explode so I do not want to have to but another although since using it the growth has exploded. But I can not really say that it is needed until I've done a grow without it.
Well impressed now that the .PH is nearly gone, as these cheese strain has taken a lil longer to come around.

So difficulty levels amongst strains! I heard kush is the hardest out of all strains were as Cheese is supposedly to be easier.
Is there any truth in this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Runner

I do find a kush to be a little harder plant to grow. As for the cheese, I've never grown one out to try it, so I can't really answer you from experience on that one.

2.6EC is a little high, I'd top off with pure water to drop it back down. They sound like they're getting a bit warm and drinking more water that nutrients, so if you have given fresh nutes within 2 weeks just add water to bring the EC back down to range. (1.9-2.0)

jandre2k3 said:
I do find a kush to be a little harder plant to grow. As for the cheese, I've never grown one out to try it, so I can't really answer you from experience on that one.

2.6EC is a little high, I'd top off with pure water to drop it back down. They sound like they're getting a bit warm and drinking more water that nutrients, so if you have given fresh nutes within 2 weeks just add water to bring the EC back down to range. (1.9-2.0)

Yeah the cheese seems to be really hard to grow compared to the Cheisel in terms of maintaining .ph balance.

Yeah forgot all about the heat thus making them drink more water and making .EC go high.

Start week 5 tomorrow and going away for 5days on Wed and am worried .ph shifts or could I flush earlier.

Flushing the plants with plain water for 2 weeks... Now is 3weeks way too early for this as I was thinking of doing this on Tuesday night.

Any thoughts would be great,

Also have 1 Big Bud in soil and being fed every other feed but 5days being watered before I go. I know after 2 lights on periods that they are due to be watered after 2days so I am worried now on what to do???
Ps I know your a hydro guy like myself but I am glad now that I did do 1 in soil as of the 1 being a male and the other being sceptical to disease from .ph as I have took all the dead/yellowing of and cut right back to healthy green colour and then it dies of again but the others are looking Fat and I may need to start achoring them up as their gaining so much wait. I loves it hehe.
Just glad some are going right.

The male, you'll want to separate out, if you are trying to avoid pollination. He could flower and drop pollen in the time you are gone. As far as how to water the soil, get a small bucket, pump and timer. Have it water 1 minute a day drawing from the bucket reservoir. If you're starting the flush on the girls, it's okay to step down in nutrient strength 1 week before to prepare the medium. It sort of pre-flushes the salts out of the medium so there's less running clear water through over and over to remove them when you are entering the flushing period for the plants to rinse salts off the medium.

The male, you'll want to separate out, if you are trying to avoid pollination. He could flower and drop pollen in the time you are gone. As far as how to water the soil, get a small bucket, pump and timer. Have it water 1 minute a day drawing from the bucket reservoir. If you're starting the flush on the girls, it's okay to step down in nutrient strength 1 week before to prepare the medium. It sort of pre-flushes the salts out of the medium so there's less running clear water through over and over to remove them when you are entering the flushing period for the plants to rinse salts off the medium.

Sorry for the confusio bro.

Big Bud No.2 Soil Flowering time 3-4?
Here is some photo's
20120728_101838_1_.jpg
20120728_101831_1_.jpg

Will post some recent 1's from today

Cleaning and Flushing :morenutes:before you go on Vacation!!!!! Now do you clean and flush and say go on Vacation that day? Or do you do it say the night/day before vacation??? As i was thinking of doing it at the beginning of the last on period before i go as before it all switches off i can double check the PH just before it switches off as then i'll be going on Holiday. As this seems to make sense thus allowing what is left in the res to be fed.
What EC do you go for before pre flushing??? Taking in to account that the cheese is under developed? and may go longer but my main concentration are the 2 Cheisel's.

The Big Bud in soil Flowering@3weeks to 4 weeks(the light was further away at the start of flowering)
This is my main concern is this female Big Bud as she is watered every other day and getting real thirsty, I know you don't grow with soil but maybe you know of a solution for it to be fed for 5 days?????

Cheese, the PH issue that took ages to come around!! Well i was thinking maybe she don't like it @PH5.8 - 6.2???? and thus the reason why she taking ages or like you said the bad parts stunting it's growth??????????? But i have gave it a good check and she is no where near what she was first like apart from scuff marks she looking ok and no more under developed buds like before.

Pictures of Big Bud 2 in soil(just waiting for the others to upload sorry, and didn't want to lose what i had wrote! it's happened twice today lol)

:peace:
SAM_3676.JPG
SAM_3673.JPG
SAM_3671.JPG

:Namaste: thank you

Ps, My Grandpa's greenhouse grow has what appears to be like little tiny yellow eggs??? Any advice on what to use?
The pot it was in was also too small so i transplanted it into a bigger pot and want to help him get it right before the days drop to 13hrs per day as it's taken him ages so far and don't wan't them bugs to ruin his only plant as he has MS and Arthritis and always share harvest with him. But also realize i choose my Favourite strains i like rather than good medical strains for his pains.

PS. I Will upload the pictures of his Outdoor Grow tonight.
Pretty sure your knowledge of things would know of advice for one to help another and appreacite all the help you do.

Ps, what comp you going in for this month bro?? Wish you all the best in advance:thumb:.
Either way i will be looking out for my FAV. hehehe.
All the best Jandrek3:peace::Namaste:

Cleaning and Flushing :morenutes:before you go on Vacation!!!!! Now do you clean and flush and say go on Vacation that day? Or do you do it say the night/day before vacation??? As i was thinking of doing it at the beginning of the last on period before i go as before it all switches off i can double check the PH just before it switches off as then i'll be going on Holiday. As this seems to make sense thus allowing what is left in the res to be fed.
What EC do you go for before pre flushing??? Taking in to account that the cheese is under developed? and may go longer but my main concentration are the 2 Cheisel's.
Yes, clean the res/lines and flush the pots the day before... Half strength nutes... if you're at EC 1.8, go to EC 0.9.

The Big Bud in soil Flowering@3weeks to 4 weeks(the light was further away at the start of flowering) This is my main concern is this female Big Bud as she is watered every other day and getting real thirsty, I know you don't grow with soil but maybe you know of a solution for it to be fed for 5 days?????
LOL! guess you missed the blurb on soil in there. LOL! I only gave one little pop in the middle of all that so I almost didn't even see it when looking back for it.
I'd really get a digital here, as you can set it to come on for only one minute per day. With most analog timers, you can only get it down to 15 minute increments.

Cheese, the PH issue that took ages to come around!! Well i was thinking maybe she don't like it @PH5.8 - 6.2???? and thus the reason why she taking ages or like you said the bad parts stunting it's growth??????????? But i have gave it a good check and she is no where near what she was first like apart from scuff marks she looking ok and no more under developed buds like before.

Pictures of Big Bud 2 in soil(just waiting for the others to upload sorry, and didn't want to lose what i had wrote! it's happened twice today lol)

:peace:
SAM_3676.JPG
SAM_3673.JPG
SAM_3671.JPG

:Namaste: thank you
Nice pics! Plants are really starting to look healthy.

Ps, My Grandpa's greenhouse grow has what appears to be like little tiny yellow eggs??? Any advice on what to use?
The pot it was in was also too small so i transplanted it into a bigger pot and want to help him get it right before the days drop to 13hrs per day as it's taken him ages so far and don't wan't them bugs to ruin his only plant as he has MS and Arthritis and always share harvest with him. But also realize i choose my Favourite strains i like rather than good medical strains for his pains.
Well, look really, really close... You may see that those "Eggs" have legs... aphids. Or, they could be cabbage bugs, or any number of moth/butterfly eggs... or they could be ladybug eggs.

It's really hard to tell without pics. Maybe when you get over there, you can take some really good pics of them.

PS. I Will upload the pictures of his Outdoor Grow tonight.
Pretty sure your knowledge of things would know of advice for one to help another and appreacite all the help you do.

Ps, what comp you going in for this month bro?? Wish you all the best in advance:thumb:.
Either way i will be looking out for my FAV. hehehe.
All the best Jandrek3:peace::Namaste:
No contests this month... will start a staggered harvest this month, then will enter contests with best plant and nug next month. Thanks for the well-wishes! Safe travels, buddy.

Hi Jandre, Took some pictures but i have just realised i forgot to take a pic of the underside of the leaf sorry i will do so tomorrow..

My thought's on these pictures too lol
But this 1 looks fine and seems to be telling me that it's getting a little over enough and stop the feeds and use plain water a few feeds.
20120807_134714.jpg

Now this picture looks fab and since this i have bent her over and tied her down Lst'd her
20120807_134655.jpg

Then there is this awefull brown which made me think is it the food?? Not enough Nitrogen?
20120807_134632.jpg

But then i looked underneath the leaves and seen egg like creatures what you explained as Aphids!!(I have to be very careful at this stage of my own grow as the last thing i need is an Infestation of outdoor bugs Aphids, so with this in mind i always bath @ night and Only then enter my own GR and very rarely in the mornings lights on during night)
We have bought the white, green and black fly spray and seems to have the worst of but not All of them and not sure if i am using the right 1.
As my Grancha will not be bothered and didn't realize what was involved before he had started, all help and advice would be so grateful at this crucial stage before Flowering Thanks:thumb:

Ok will keep me eye out on the Comps next month :thumb:, :goodjob:, Hols was great and of caravan site next sunday 26th, but hope the Cheisel will be done by then as i am hoping to have them dry too as i would hate to have to leave them to dry whilst i am gone lol,
Some pics of Cheisel
20120817_115438.jpg
20120817_115236.jpg
20120817_115341.jpg
20120817_115321.jpg
20120817_230025.jpg

Ohh yeah i just remembered i will probably need to start using the 30x telescopic magnifying glass (not sure if thats what it's called lol, About the size of our hand look straight through lol sorry) Need to dig that out first thing in the morning
The 1 pic i had cut a lil of as some of the leaves are starting to show signs of P deficency and has still not dried out properly yet but only cut it last night,

I have took pictures of the Cheese and Big Bud/Soil-Female but for some reason i am having great difficulty uploading of my phone and will start using the Camera for better photo's and will take the camera to my Grancha's and get some good photo's and can't believe i didn't take any of the creatures Pmsl

PSS..That Male is Officially Dead during my break it dried out lol

So they did have legs then? It didn't seem too bad from the pics.

My thoughts on the browning leaves:

First thought to come to mind was "Look at how wet that soil is!" How are you watering them, and how often? It looks rather damp outside, when this is the case, you really have to check the soil. Insert your finger halfway between the edge of the pot and the central trunk of your plant. if it comes out even the least bit moist, wait on the water. Cannabis like to dry out a bit between watering.

Back
Top Bottom