My First Outdoor Grow!

Yeah....now you're cooking! Nice set-up!
Thank you, I definatly agree with using the shade screen over the tarp now. Huge difference the amount of light that it let's through. Thanks for the advise!! this forum and the people on it are awesome!

@Emilya hello there again so I'm still battling the repercussions of over feeding nitrogen and phosphorous. The plants are still fairly strong they seem like, however they are consistantly loosing leaves. Like they keep on turning brown and crispy starting from the edge and working it's way to the middle. The leaves are all over the plants (as in it's not targeted to older or newer leaves, kinda just a mix of all locations)

What have I done to try to combat this?:
1. I've reduced their neut intake, I've held off the past week on giving more neutrients, however right before then I did give them the week 4 recomended foxfarm dosages.

2. I've been watering them with 6.28 to 6.57 PH water.

3. I've flushed all 3 plants with at least 10 to 15 gallons of water each now (PH of 6.28 to 6.57)

Should I just keep flushing them till it goes away? Cause right now I feel like I'm at a stand still, and kind of out of the ideas I've been able to conjure up.

However the plants dont look "tooo" sickly yet. But dont want them to get any worse. You have been like a goddess to this grow and cant thank you enough for your tips and tricks.
20190810_181216.jpg
20190810_181227.jpg
20190810_181220.jpg
20190810_181200.jpg

@Emilya hello there again so I'm still battling the repercussions of over feeding nitrogen and phosphorous. The plants are still fairly strong they seem like, however they are consistantly loosing leaves. Like they keep on turning brown and crispy starting from the edge and working it's way to the middle. The leaves are all over the plants (as in it's not targeted to older or newer leaves, kinda just a mix of all locations)

What have I done to try to combat this?:
1. I've reduced their neut intake, I've held off the past week on giving more neutrients, however right before then I did give them the week 4 recomended foxfarm dosages.

2. I've been watering them with 6.28 to 6.57 PH water.

3. I've flushed all 3 plants with at least 10 to 15 gallons of water each now (PH of 6.28 to 6.57)

Should I just keep flushing them till it goes away? Cause right now I feel like I'm at a stand still, and kind of out of the ideas I've been able to conjure up.

However the plants dont look "tooo" sickly yet. But dont want them to get any worse. You have been like a goddess to this grow and cant thank you enough for your tips and tricks.
I see several things going on here now, and none of them are over feeding. You have a low grade magnesium deficiency starting up and I would start giving a basic dose of calmag. The plants are huge and now have tremendous nutrition needs, and you are starving them. This was exactly the opposite of what these plants are telling you they are needing. The nature of the way the leaves are being taken points to a macronutrient problem of the mobile variety since it is able to show up all over the plant, and the way the leaves are being eaten it looks to be potassium is the major culprit, but I see some mottled signs of phosphorus also being needed.
The cause? These plants are huge. Instead of feeding, you seem to think you can water this problem away and that you can somehow flush out the plant by giving only water, and keep doing this to them until they stop with this nonsense. You are outside, under the best light you can give these plants, and you are feeding them with nutrients designed for indoor growers under imperfect lights. Be bold with your feeding out there, and I would consider giving 50% more than recommended, if the plant was thriving. I think they can easily handle it.

Giving only water does not clean out the plant and is not flushing. A flush is defined as moving 3x the container size in water through the soil. It cleans the soil, not the plant. Giving only water, is simply, not feeding. Doing it over and over again is the same as a starvation diet.

So when a plant is given a challenge, such as not enough nutrition coming in, it starts cannibalizing leaves so as to be able to keep the upper growth going. In a large plant like this , it will start with leaves on the interior and down low and it will try to remove first all the leaves that are not getting as much light. A certain amount of this clean up will happen even in a healthy plant, but what you have going here is excessive.

I would recommend going with the full strength recommended nutes by FF every other time, water inbetween, and I would do a proper flush on one of your water only days about every 4 weeks to cleanse the soil of accumulated salts and debris. As said above, I would keep increasing my nutes out in that sun, until I found the point they started burning a little... and then I would back off a bit.

I see several things going on here now, and none of them are over feeding. You have a low grade magnesium deficiency starting up and I would start giving a basic dose of calmag. The plants are huge and now have tremendous nutrition needs, and you are starving them. This was exactly the opposite of what these plants are telling you they are needing. The nature of the way the leaves are being taken points to a macronutrient problem of the mobile variety since it is able to show up all over the plant, and the way the leaves are being eaten it looks to be potassium is the major culprit, but I see some mottled signs of phosphorus also being needed.
The cause? These plants are huge. Instead of feeding, you seem to think you can water this problem away and that you can somehow flush out the plant by giving only water, and keep doing this to them until they stop with this nonsense. You are outside, under the best light you can give these plants, and you are feeding them with nutrients designed for indoor growers under imperfect lights. Be bold with your feeding out there, and I would consider giving 50% more than recommended, if the plant was thriving. I think they can easily handle it.

Giving only water does not clean out the plant and is not flushing. A flush is defined as moving 3x the container size in water through the soil. It cleans the soil, not the plant. Giving only water, is simply, not feeding. Doing it over and over again is the same as a starvation diet.

So when a plant is given a challenge, such as not enough nutrition coming in, it starts cannibalizing leaves so as to be able to keep the upper growth going. In a large plant like this , it will start with leaves on the interior and down low and it will try to remove first all the leaves that are not getting as much light. A certain amount of this clean up will happen even in a healthy plant, but what you have going here is excessive.

I would recommend going with the full strength recommended nutes by FF every other time, water inbetween, and I would do a proper flush on one of your water only days about every 4 weeks to cleanse the soil of accumulated salts and debris. As said above, I would keep increasing my nutes out in that sun, until I found the point they started burning a little... and then I would back off a bit.
Thank you, I decided to give them a feeding of FF the same day as the reply, i also added 2 tsp of cal mag for good luck. I did notice today that they browning had slowed down slightly. I'm going to keep a close eye on them and see if it goes away completely. I'm going to give another feeding today after work for good measure. Ima going to take your advice too and five them roughly 25% to 50% more to see if it combats the self cannibalism problem I'm having. Luckily the tops are still looking pretty decent. Still some brown if course but I'd imagine it does t just completely vanish in a day or two

Thank you!! I'll keep the thread updated to show the results of the more neuts ❤

I've been following ff recipe spot on just multiplying the dosages by 1.5 for outdoor growing. Idk what's causing it but the leaves are still dying up and going crispy. I water every 2 days giving 2 to 3 gallons of water each in my 20 gallon smart pots. I also add cal mag at 1.5 the recommended dose on the bottle. Still 6.3 ph every time
Any recommendations? @Emilya
20190904_183916.jpg
20190904_183931.jpg
20190904_183925.jpg
20190904_183936.jpg

Okay, ya I did notice all the dying leaves are kinda on the underside. I'll continue with the 1.5 times feeding chart I dont want to burn the plants now Haha. Ams okay I'll give them a few more weeks and see how they are doing

Back
Top Bottom