My first time growing and I need help

4Richard

This is my first time growing and I am 80 years old (medical use w/card:). A friend gave me 5 plants all were about 1 1/4" tall. I can only grow outdoors (in backyard) so I kept them in the shade for a few days and moved them into direct sunlight where they have been for about 1 month. They receive direct light in the morning and afternoon and indirect light in late afternoon with no nighttime light interruption (except for indirect light from streetlights and nearby windows/yards, moon). Now they are only 2" tall and are already showing their sex. 1 with balls (boy -who has been removed), 3 with hairs (girls) and one that is not showing any sex yet and has round(er) leaf tips. I was planning on transplanting them in the ground in the next few days. I have never seen plants this small starting to bud and I am sure I am doing something wrong. How should I proceed to elicit the best yeild?

My theory on this is that the natural time caused the plants to switch to flower. Im pretty sure the sun is up about 12 hrs and down for another 12 not exact but around. So its like having them on 12/12

Yeah that appears to be what happened, thanks. I do not have anywhere inside to keep plants and cannot afford the electricity for lighting.

So do you think this will work:

I germinate new seeds and get them sprouting. Then I plant them directly in the garden outside with some solar lights (pointing directly at them) which will switch on when it gets dark outside.

I was looking at these: Integral Solar Flood Light - 4 Pack - Solar Spot Lights at Solar Light Store

Would that be sufficient to keep them in veg state until I am happy with the size and unplug the solar lights to start flowering?

Please offer any help you can for what process I can start growing my own Medical MJ from seedlings without any place to keep them inside and under lights.

4Richard, welcome to 420 forums.
Pull the ones with Balls on them, Males are only good to donate pollen. Females are what we want to grow.
What region are you in? Is it Spring time there? If so. yes, get some more seeds going and planted outside.
I think the Suns natural ability to grow them to a desired height and to naturally flower out may be best for you and also budget minded.

The seeds need to be re sown now though or risk not being enough time for the plants to fully mature. let us know ok. 80 years young.. Congratulations

Thanks so much. I am in Hawaii so I know I am lucky regarding cold weather problems. Just to be safe and since he was still so small I put the little male down the toilet. Now I have 2 inch baby plants that are budding already, I didn't even know they could flower when they are still so young/little.

Anyway, it seems that if I just go all natural that the sun and moon schedule will get them budding right away, so do you think the solar light idea will keep them from flowering like they did this time?

Ultimately I would want them to get as big as they can get before I start flowering stage right? And since I am in Hawaii is there a month or time of year that I should absolutely start the flowering stage or can I just let them stay in veg state until I am happy with the size?

Ultimately I would want them to get as big as they can get before I start flowering stage right? And since I am in Hawaii is there a month or time of year that I should absolutely start the flowering stage or can I just let them stay in veg state until I am happy with the size?
I too live in Hawaii " Big Island" almost 35 years now.
The "Long Season" just started, as I put 10 in the ground 2 months ago and they are all budding out.
From now until September / October Long season is upon us. Any plants going outside now will go grow longer and taller. Strain is a factor too.
No, the plant will tell itself when it is ready to flower, and will do so automatically. Trying to induce flowering in Hawaii via artificial lights outdoors will be a costly experiment for you. A better way is to start them indoors under a 18 hour light on / 6 hour light off cycle for 2 months, then put them outside and they will flower and be done in 50-75 days.
For long season growing I start seeds in April early May. I plant the seeds outdoors in 1 gallon pots, then after 30-45 days I will transplant them in the garden bed that is already fertilized and waiting for them. They will sex out, I pull the males, and let the females finish off. The time will depend on the Cannbabis seed variety.

Aloha

Okay I am starting to understand although I still feel like a bit of a do-do so if you don't mind offering a bit more clarification for me:

The reason the little baby plants I have outisde are already flowering is due to the natural season right now, is that right?

So if I sprout some seeds and get them in the ground as soon as possible they will not start budding until they are big and tall unlike the little guys you see in the pictures, is that right?

I just cannot do any indoor lighting as I live in a one room studio with my wife and my brother in law pays the electricity bill for us and the main house. The inside lighting thing is sadly not an option for me at all. And due to space constraints etc any set-up inside is not an option. It is outside or nothing for me unfortunately.

I sure would like to have year round yield (I can only have four mature plants at a time legally) what would you recommend? What months should I plant starters knowing that it will always have to be totally natural lighting?

Or is there a period during the year that the solar lights may help keep my plants in veg state so they just get bigger than the little ones I have that have started flowering at just 2" tall?

I hate to keep bothering/overposting you and the forum, is there a book or an online resource for growing completely natural outside in Hawaii?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

The reason the little baby plants I have outisde are already flowering is due to the natural season right now, is that right?
Yes, The sun just started to move back North on December 22nd. Winter begins that day, in Hawaii, that signals "SHORT SEASON" But those starts were of poor quality by the looks of them.

So if I sprout some seeds and get them in the ground as soon as possible they will not start budding until they are big and tall unlike the little guys you see in the pictures, is that right?
Yes, correct. It is long season now. I suggest starting them outdoors right now. In small 1 gallon pots. You may have 7 total in Hawaii 3 in flowering and 4 in vegatative growth. Start all 7. What Hawaii's law does not allow for is that if all 7 are not females from the get go, then from 7 seeds we may get 3 females.
Henceforthe we have to start more seeds. Start these in the open Sun, do not Shade treat them.
To have a perpetual crop all year round in Hawaii is totally possible. Having gaurenteed females to do this with comes from taking cuttings, but this also requires additional lighting indoors. So that is out. One day soon in Hawaii we will be able to go purchase clones as is done in California from a Dispensary.
Until then Using outdoors only as your grow area, Start those 7 seeds today, and cull the males that will show up eventually, and then start more seeds, monthly.

Wow, what a gigantic help you have been.

Now I have just a few more questions and I will get started right away.

How exactly should I start my seeds? In a wet towel or directly in the 1 gallon pots. As I mentioned my friend gave me these starters so if you could detail from dry seed up to the 30-45 days you mentioned to get the starters in the garden that would be great and should be all I need.

Oh except for soil (good and economical, maybe just tilling the existing soil as i know weeds and grass grow well there now). And type of water (is room temp tap okay). Do I need nutrients or different nutrients at different stages or is that optional? Also how far apart should I plant the starters? And if there is anything I am forgetting please let me know.

Thanks again!!!

ALOHA!

Glad you got the help you needed 4Richard. I would germinate the seeds first and use the paper towel method. You will need good soil if your real serious about the grow. Tap is good as long as you let it sit for a couple of hrs. And you will need nutrients but that wont be untill the plant shows you that it needs them. and you should plant them in seperate containers i would suggest styrofoam cups at first then later on transplant.

Thanks, I checked out your thread and you sure did an awesome job on your girls! I didin't read all the posts but most of them. Just curious; is the wire for support or to keep them from growing to tall (or both)?

Again nice job!!! I can't wait to post pics of beautiful girls like that.

ALOHA!

have youever grown as vegetable garden in that place checkwith univ of hawii[sp] for agriculture info especially for poinsettas those common xmas plants are realsimilar to pot in their responses to day /night cycles and flowering doyou have any friends that grow tomatoes there talktothem about some basics as if youwere starting a first garden......

I just cannot do any indoor lighting as I live in a one room studio with my wife and my brother in law pays the electricity bill for us and the main house. The inside lighting thing is sadly not an option for me at all. And due to space constraints etc any set-up inside is not an option. It is outside or nothing for me unfortunately.

If you had a small closet and used 4 100 watt eqivalent cfls on an 18/6 lighting schedule, your power bill would rise approximately $3 per month...I just went and purchased 2 150w equivalent cfls for some supplementary lighting this evening...and they together produce 300 watts of light for a total usage of 80 watts. I am currently running a 600w HID light and my power bill has gone up about $10 per month. It is a common misconception that a single grow light will cause a huge power bill spike, when in fact the rise in your bill is negligible.

Thanks for the info, I surely enjoyed looking at your pics/thread. Although, space (and keeping my wife happy) is probably an even bigger reason outside is the only way for me. I can legally grow and I am almost always home and near garden area so not too worried about the problems usually associated with outside growing. I really do appreciate the info though. If you do have any additional tips for outside growing or garden cultivation, soil etc I would love to hear them. Or of you know the best place to get good seeds that would be great too. Thanks again! ALOHA!

Oh by the way, something neat happened today, I am sprouting the seeds I have been keeping in a film container and I put them in between a piece of wet t-shirt (did not have paper towels we use washcloths) and had them in the bathroom which stays pretty dark and after 2 days no sprouts. Then today I put the tin on top of the the back of my computer under my desk. I also have the tin open and the lid is funneling the warm air into the tin and they sprouted within hours...I think that might be my new germination method:). More uses for a computer;).

I grew outdoors for nearly 20 years...but the simple truth is Cherma will be a much more valuable source of info for you. Not only is he Grow Support for the site...he lives in Hawaii and has as much or more outdoor exp as I do. I'd listen very closely to what he says, as there is much to be learned from someone who has spent many years growing in the volcanic soil of the islands...not many volcanoes where I live for the last 40 million years or so...lol!

I know ya, Cherma is AWESOME!!! Cherma helped me more than I ever expected, I have never posted on a forum or anything like this before so am thrilled with the support thus far. Thanks again! ALOHA!!!

Cherma, I have new seeds sprouting and was wondering if you recommend a particular soil or have any other recommendations for getting my garden ready.

Also, should I bother planting the 2" plants that are budding or just let them finish up in the pots they are in?

Or is there a period during the year that the solar lights may help keep my plants in veg state so they just get bigger than the little ones I have that have started flowering at just 2" tall?

If a plant is not an auto-flowering one, it doesn't take much in the way of lighting to keep a plant from entering flowering. Interrupting the dark cycle a couple of times every night for an hour (less might work, I was keeping mothers indoors and wanted to be sure) with enough light to fully-illuminate the plant would do the trick. It doesn't have to be strong enough to contribute to growth, just bright enough that the dark cycle is interrupted.

The only possible problem I see with doing this outside is that you'd be announcing to your neighbors that you are growing - and proudly lmao - when you light them up a couple of times every night.:rofl:

I just went and purchased 2 150w equivalent cfls for some supplementary lighting this evening...and they together produce 300 watts of light for a total usage of 80 watts.

No, together they produce 80 watts of light for a total usage of 80 watts lol. But your point is a valid one, using CFLs is cheap if a person doesn't keep adding them and adding them, eventually ending up with 750 watts' worth of CFLs to produce the same amount of light that a 400-watt HPS would produce. In that case the HPS would be cheaper lol but that doesn't seem likely to happen here.

And 4Richard, if you are not using CFLs for your lighting indoors, if you switch all of your bulbs to them you will drop your usage enough to add anywhere from a few (if you use lights sparingly and turn them off when you leave the room) to many (if you are in the habit of leaving every light in the house on).

Then today I put the tin on top of the the back of my computer under my desk. I also have the tin open and the lid is funneling the warm air into the tin and they sprouted within hours...I think that might be my new germination method:). More uses for a computer;).

Some seeds just take a little longer, especially if they are a little older.

But yeah, they like a bit of heat to germinate. Guess that's nature's clue that it is time for her seeds to sprout when the sun starts warming the soil more.

BTW, since plant number limits are a factor for you, you might want to search for information on "air layering" (also referred to as "air cloning"). It's basically cutting the first two layers off of a branch on a short (an inch, give or take) section all the way around, packing the area with planting medium, moistening it pretty good, wrapping it with something (plastic wrap) to keep it there, and poking a few small holes into the plastic so that it can get air. The branch will grow roots where you have removed the outer layers. BUT, as it's still a part of its mother at that point, it would still legally be one plant right up until you cut it free. And then it becomes a fully-rooted clone, ready for planting.

Of course if the mother was in flower, the clone will be too, so you would want to figure out how to give it 18 hours or more of light. As mentioned, the CFLs would be your best bet. If kept very close to the plant, it doesn't take an extreme amount of them to support a plant in its vegetative phase.

Back
Top Bottom