Need Advice For My Cannabutter Recipe

maestro1899

I started making cannabutter using the boil-in-water method, but I noticed two side-effects I would like to eliminate (or more likely, minimize) for next time I cook. While my cannabutter totally works and gets me medicated, it also makes me very drowsy and gives me the munchies real bad. Now I know all edibles do this to some degree (and MMJ, too), but I was wondering if I cooked at a lower/higher temp or for a shorter/longer duration, would it minimize these side-effects?

Is there a general rule, such as the lower/higher the temp, the less/more drowsy you would get because you are cooking off more off the THC or CBDs? (therefore changing the THC/CBD ratio?)

My recipe is about 8 cups of water, 1 lb of butter, and about 2 1/4 ozs of sweet trim. (I like to make it as strong as possible so you don't have to eat as much) I have an electric stove and after I get the water/butter boiling, I cook for about 3 hours right in the middle of low and medium. I go up or down one line increment (there are 3 line increments between each heat setting) based on how rapidly it's simmering, and stir consistently throughout the 3 hours. I try to keep the mixture at a temp where I only see a few "bubbles" occasionally, so it's like a slow simmer (definitely not close to a boiling state).

I don't have a cooking thermometer (should I get one??), and I know from vaporizing that you don't want to go above 190 celsius. But I don't know the exact temp I'm cooking at, and I think it fluctuates a little while it's cooking.

Also, when I make cookies (or whatever baked good), I don't set the oven above 320F, since I read ovens can vary by 20 degrees. But at 320 + 20 F = 340, I'm still significantly under the 375 degree threshold (374 = 190 celsius).

I know this is a long post, but if anyone is still reading and has some advice, I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks!

Well Mastro,
the cooking method/time/ temps will not change your reaction to the product!
the water added in privides a temp regulation safety measure. as you know UR under boiling point of water. so, you can't BURN the meds!
I recomend you use only Sativa strains. they are more energenic & an " up" heady buzz.
or , perhaps LOL don't over medicate!! :)

Back
Top Bottom