Question on Cannabutter cooking time!

Atpmixx

Hey fellow cooks! Question on cook time for Cannabutter. I've seen so many various simmer times. From 1hour to 3hours to 22hours! I successfully whipped up a batch twice before, and failed on the third attempt. Ive been scared to try again since. (We all know product isn't cheap!) But I'm ready to get back on the Cannabutter horse! So, HOW long do I simmer the herb for some potent Cannabutter? Mind you I cook a quarter ounce at a time. Thanks!

I find the longer you let it simmer the less it tastes like weed. I use a water/oil or water/butter mixture, that way I don't burn it. Get a big pot, Place chopped cut up weed in pot, fill with water till it just covers weed, the add fat of choice,( I use 6 oz of leaf to 2 cups oil . I like evo, or 2 cups clarified unsalted butter). bring to simmer, I simmer for 3 hours (covered), then strain and let cool until warm,vigorously ring the weed in a 100% cotton t shirt into a big bowl ( I place the shirt in the strainer to make ringing after cooling to warm, easy), bowl goes in freezer over night. In the morning I scrape off the top and jar that, I keep it in the fridge (it stays solid that way). I get about 1 and a half cups of great stuff, and I cook meals with it every day. The water is then used to water my house plants. They like it.

sounds very interesting but......does anyone know the shelf life of all this good for you meds ? I've tried several reciepes and also bought some and was disappointed. Any advice? :Namaste:

sounds very interesting but......does anyone know the shelf life of all this good for you meds ? I've tried several reciepes and also bought some and was disappointed. Any advice? :Namaste:
I have found what many call "a dose" is hardly a dose for me. Just keep trying you'll get it right .
I store my butter and oil in the fridge, and/or freezer when I have made allot. This way it doesn't spoil.

thanks smoke2j! I've put my baked goods in the freezer/fridg too but it seems like the potency is gone after a few days. Has this ever happened to you or anyone else out there? If so........what to do? Thanks to all!!!

thanks smoke2j! I've put my baked goods in the freezer/fridg too but it seems like the potency is gone after a few days. Has this ever happened to you or anyone else out there? If so........what to do? Thanks to all!!!

No storage problems for me. I make batches of brownies and freeze them after cooking - with no loss of potency. Also make batches of cookie dough and proportion the cookies and freeze the dough balls. Then just pop a few in the oven for warm canna-cookies....again, no perceived loss of strength.

Just my experience...

:peace: and :Namaste:

Hey fellow cooks! Question on cook time for Cannabutter. I've seen so many various simmer times. From 1hour to 3hours to 22hours! I successfully whipped up a batch twice before, and failed on the third attempt. Ive been scared to try again since. (We all know product isn't cheap!) But I'm ready to get back on the Cannabutter horse! So, HOW long do I simmer the herb for some potent Cannabutter? Mind you I cook a quarter ounce at a time. Thanks!
I have questions about this too. Most places say 8-24 hours, but one source, which seemed very scientific, said that cooking it more than 3-4 hours at 160 degrees would change the actual THC to something else (it was something like, 'THCH' ) which is something that pretty much changes the effects of whatever strain you're using to something that will put you to sleep. I've only seen that mentioned in one place,, but it seemed reputable.

Back
Top Bottom