CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

image8724.jpg

organic california purple wreck bubbling in some organic california butter

Question.... I'm going to make my first CannaButter. But I'm not sure the type Marijuana I should use?? .. Regular or the GOOD STUFF!!! would it make a difference? :thanks:

I swear to god I get high from standing over the stove when the pot is cooking. Has anyone else noticed this?
When I was making butter your way, I used to get a contact high from squeezing the plant matter through cheese cloth and getting all the oil out... what a rush, it's been a while. A tip... use a device called a potato ricer to really put the squeeze on your plant material!

First time maker, used 1 pound butter, 1/4 oz herb, cooked, strained, made a no bake chocolate cookie, tasty but not much buzz, ya I know the ratio of herb is too low but on purpose. Ended up a little too weak I thought so after taking out 1/2 cup butter for the cookies I made I added yet another 1/4 oz herb to remaining cannabutter, cooked it for a little over an hour, strained... Used 1/2 a cup in banana bread, yum, TOTALLY BAKED! Too much actually. So even @ 1/2 the recommended amount of herb it's still way too strong. Didn't even eat 1 full piece of bread, wow!

what would be the ratio for kief for say 1 Lbs of butter??

I wouldn't use pure kief for infusion... I vape my kief and bud, then make butter mixing one part kief/bud to two parts trimmings at a ratio of 1.5 oz. per one pound of butter. It's a good starting point, adjust from there. These instructions are for making butter in a crock pot.

Just a follow up on my post yesterday. I'm a long time smoker/vapor with a fairly high tolerance. Yesterday after eating less than one piece of my banana bread, which was delish, no weed taste at all, in less than 1/2 hour I could feel it, after an hour I was totally baked, my mother was actually way too high, moved in to the "bad trip" zone and ended up throwing up a bit. She could hardly move and I had to help her to bed. After about 3 hours she was able to stand, my high was great but was brought way down by my concern for her. She ate less than I did. I'm shocked that people think they need to use 1.5 ounces of herb to 1 pound of butter or some use an even higher ratio. I used less than 1/2 an ounce for a pound of butter and the results are scary. Next time I will eat 1/5 of a slice, wait a while, eat more if needed and so on. I only cooked the butter for an hour so I can't imagine cooking it for 12, 24 hours or even longer could make such a difference to make it worth the time and effort. If a first timer using low amounts of herb cooking it for an hour can make killer cannabutter...

Thank you for this awesome recipe. It is for my mother who has brain cancer. I was wondering what could be a dose to begin with. I used 2 sticks of butter and 1/2 ounce of reasonably good buds. Should I try it before giving her? Any response will be great!

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this
DSCF0708.JPG

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It shoud look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.
Cheese.JPG

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this
DSCF0713.JPG

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,
Cheesepour.JPG

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,
Squeezecheese.JPG

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.
DSCF0719.JPG

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

donebutter.JPG

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!

* If making the butter is too much work for you, you can try this amazing device from Magical Butter.

your only absorbing 10-20 percent of the high you could be with this method, its quick yes but the results are poor

this website is about learning from others to improve what your doing, someone needs to try the recipe i use

my way to cannabutter takes 40 hours but its worth it, AMGrows will lead you down the right cannabutter path, veteran dabbers have passed out within 3 hours from this recipe so know its extremely POTENT! :Namaste:

I have started clarifying my butter to raise the burning point of my butter. I don't carbolyze (sp?) my weed first and instead monitor the temp of my butter with a candy thermometer bringing the butter up to 250% for about 30 minutes or so. I do this in a crockpot with no water... and no lid cuz of the candy thermometer. I swear I get quite the buzz while cooking it and I am thinking it's the terpenes escaping and going into the air... and maybe some of the cannaboids that vape temps aren't known for yet. That's why I am thinking pressure cooking it or a distillery set up would keep more of the goodness in the butter. If I am getting a buzz cooking it something is not getting in the butter that I want to be there! I used to cook in the crockpot keeping the temps low as many told me to do. When you clarify the butter you raise the smoking point to about 400 degrees so you can hit the 250 degree temp of carbolyzing weed without burning the butter. The potency of my butter has increased significantly by bringing it up to 250 degrees. I have been reading up on terpenes and they are a significant part of the buzz and individuality of strains of weed. I want ALL of that in my butter and not wasted. I am thinking pressure cooking the butter may be the way to do it!

Ive dont both the machine and slow cooking. Both work great. Instead of tupperware for storage try these. Super convenient, makes butters sticks that help control your doses by giving you premeasured tablespoon marks like the ones you buy from the store.
If you google cannaware or cannabutter mold you will find em.

Its crazy how many new things are being made for this industry every single day.

[video=youtube;q4q2L8lLXsM]
[/video]

:peace:

I am very interested in the method of your ways. Do you mind releasing the process??

your only absorbing 10-20 percent of the high you could be with this method, its quick yes but the results are poor

this website is about learning from others to improve what your doing, someone needs to try the recipe i use

my way to cannabutter takes 40 hours but its worth it, AMGrows will lead you down the right cannabutter path, veteran dabbers have passed out within 3 hours from this recipe so know its extremely POTENT! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom