CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

It's been sitting in the fridge overnight. But the butter hasn't hardened. It's still liquid, but it looks like it separated. Do I just keep waiting?

hi folks, a couple of points here, first the water gets rid of a lot of crap from the mix. i scape off the bottom of the butter (but i use coconut oil not butter) into the water and toss it. i use a crock pot with a stem thermometer to make sure it doesn't get too hot. the batch i just made has about 1/2 lb. coconut oil, 2 oz. ++ of good pot and bud i grew. it will only be as good as what you put into it, this isn't some miracle process. if i cannot see trichomes with my magnifier i dump it back into the garden so no fan leaves. then i let it simmer for about 20 hours. my stuff is like a thick mud. you can cook with it or what ever but my newest favorite is just make a cup of tea with up to a tablespoon of the oil, honey and maybe a splash of orange juice (i thought it was milk but this was excellent with the juice, try it. better than the cereal was...) add whatever you like in tea.

i thought i would make this batch then add the mash back into the crock pot with another half pound of oil and cook it again. not much to lose. my cookies came out so strong i recommended only a bite and cut them up bite size but one friend told me he he took two and spent the day leveling out his woodpile or something. this is a wonderful way to get rid of excess pot but it will mold without being frozen. i don't smoke so this is a great way to ingest. i had hip replacement surgery 10 days ago and have had bad hip/back pain for years so pain relief is what i am looking for. j

I now use a temperature controller to maintain the correct temps while cooking. Here is a pic of mine in use with a 1 quart crock pot. I used a food grade silicone to install the sensor into the pot. My crock pot is should we say "Vintage" and the lid is actually plastic so drilling the hole for the sensor was easy.
Controller_in_use.jpg

These controllers can be purchased online and then modified to work with the crock pot like in the picture. This controller is a STC-1000 with a temp range of 1-100 C. This virtually eliminates the worry of too high or too low of temperatures.
I have found that without the controller the temp slowly goes up and up and up. With the quart size I typically make a pound of butter (4 sticks). Also I always clarify the butter before I start.
Also I have eliminated any need for water!

nice. i bought a digital stem thermometer for $10 at wmt to spot check. "warm" with my crock pot is 165 f and it holds that.
why don't you want to use water? it gets rid of a lot of the stinky crap i want to get rid of.
i just had major surgery and a couple of doses of my ganja oil helps me to drift off to la la land without all the poisons in the pills they gave me, although a a little poison isn't a bad mix. how much plant material did you use in a pound of butter? what type? since i don't smoke, this is THE way to store my bud harvest, most of it i mean. j

In my research the water was old school to avoid temp spikes. Not sure if this person "Bad Kitty Smiles" is posting on this site any more but she is on another site for sure. Reading her posts were very educational for me. By not using the water but still controlling the temps I am able to extract maximum THC.

Here is how I've been doing it:
I use 6 sticks of butter and clarify first, this will create 1 pound (4 sticks) of butter after this process.
My last batch I used 1/4 ounce of medical grade Louis XIII, ground fine with coffee grinder. Then decarbed for 20 minutes in 220 F oven in oven bag, cooled down in oven for 10 minutes. Placed butter in crock pot added two tbs. of Soy Lecithin and the decarbed Louis XIII (once melted did stir to mix up). Did not start timing until crock pot temp got to 210 F let cook for one hour. After the hour turned off the heat and mashed, then put the crock in the freezer to allow product to cool. After it cooled enough I turned back on brought back to 210 F and cooked another hour. After cooking I use a french press coffee machine to strain, I've found the french press works better for me than cheese cloth. I just remove the french press lid so I can press to the bottom of the french press carafe. Also with the butter in the carafe I find it easy to then pour the butter (still in liquid state) in to plastic 2 oz containers w/lids but only pour 1 oz per container. Then save the butter in the refrigerator, to added to whatever I may be baking that calls for butter. Also I only bake at 325 F or below, been told that THC vaporizes above that temp. The clarified butter has a longer shelf life, so I've been told. Some people say it is a waste to use medical grade for cooking but I disagree.

Good luck and enjoy :)

i stopped using butter and use coconut oil, last time i had to add some olive oil too to have enough. i can't eat the lactose in butter and it isn't very good for the body. the water i drain off is pretty gross, like turtle bowl water so i'd just as soon not have it in my oil.
i am all for med grade in oils though, i just toss out the rest anyway. the stems make great kindling... as far as cooking, i was making cookies and stuff like crazy and getting fat. i tried adding oil to tea and it is great without all the sugar. or just cutting it up in small chunks and eating it frozen, with a glass of very warm water near by. j

haven't heard it mentioned but once you get your oil/butter you can make some great candy, more sugar... i m trying to avoid sugar but anyway, i use the big hershey bars, $1.78 each. melt it in micro very slowly and add warm canna oil and stir it up. get a cold, even frozen dinner plate ready, cover with wax paper and sprinkle whatever you like on it, i use rice crispies on one side, peanuts/almonds/cashews on the other on wax paper, pour you mixture over that and put in freezer or outside. once it sets you break it up, discard the paper and put in baggies in fridge. i use this for pain so grow the bud until the trichs are just turning golden. j

I too have used coconut oil. However have not yet used my crock pot for the oil yet. I realize there maybe gross looking stuff in the water but when you strain you do not see it. Do search the internet for some of the posts by "Bad Kitty Smiles", I've believe she has been cooking for years and explains why she does what she does. She believes the oil/butter is a higher concentrate without the water, and yes there is some desirable product that gets separated in the water that you do want in the oil.

Here is what Bad Kitty Smiles had posted elsewhere;

"I've been doing this professionally for years now, and privately for longer. We've just finally started to break away from the older, less effective methods here at GC.

Adding water to your edible solvent (oil), is reducing its efficiency, and pulling in loads of inert, unpalatable plant matter! This is why clarified butter or 'ghee' is recommended by the experts.

And adding water was originally only a means (an ineffective one, at that) of preventing temperature spikes, when cooking over an open flame or on the stove-top.

If you're already using a crock pot, you should already be able to control your temps easily, and much more reliably than the old water-butters.

That water you pour out at the end, is part inert plant matter, but resting in the bottom? That's a lot of your glandular material!

Just like when making ice-hash, all the glandular material that hasn't been broken down into the oil is still heavy, and sinks to the bottom. And when contaminating or diluting your 'solvent' with water, it takes longer than ever to break down, so it falls below with the waste water. You can get so much more potency out of your material, via increased bioavailability, if you make a simple, medical grade oil! It's just as easy, if not easier. If using butter, just clarify it as mentioned earlier."

Just thought I'd share.

This has been a very informative thread! THANK YOU!
I do have one question though.
If you use say one stick of butter, how much butter is just lost? I start with a stick and 2 oz. of REAL crappy green leaves. but only get back about a half stick of butter no matter how hard or long I squeeze the juice out of them.
I'm sure you're gonna loose some, but half seems like a bit much.

I have found some good music to eat weed delectables with and some good recipes.

here are a couple

Key Lime High Pie

Ganja Butter:
6 tablespoons of butter
8th of ganja ground or 1-2 grams of honey oil hashish

Crust:
6 tablespoons ganja butter, melted
1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Filling:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Key lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
2 egg yolks
8th of ganja or 1-2 grams of honey oil hashish
Meringue:
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the Ganja butter Heat butter in saucepan add ground ganja cook until boil then remove from heat
and strain out ganja ,preferrably with cheese cloth

For the crust: Combine ingredients and pat down into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes.

For the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the ganja ,milk, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon zest; blend in the last tablespoon of ganja butter with egg yolks. Pour the filling into the crust.

For the meringue: Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and zest until the mixture is stiff. Spread the meringue over the filling; spread it to touch the edge of the crust all around. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.

and here is another great ganja meal`

--`
Trippy Thai-stick Chicken curry

3 teaspoons of ganja butter

1 4-ounce can or jar yellow curry paste

8oz of san pedros or peruvian torch cactus peeled and diced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces

1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3), peeled, cut into 1/2" pieces

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces

1 13.5-ounce or 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk

Chopped fresh basil and cilantro

preparation

Heat butter is small saucepan and add 8th of ganja ground or broke down heavily
heat until boil and then immediately remove from heat.strain ganja preferribly in cheesecloth

Heat ganja butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cactus ,onion, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add potatoes, chicken, coconut milk, and 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Divide curry among bowls and top with herbs.
This recipe may lead to a nice ,mild hallucenogenic experience.So,you should listen to something spiritual and trippy like 11:11 Carrier wave ep,you can download it from link above

Not sure about paper towels, maybe coffee filters instead, but I found the best thing to use that I always have are nylons or knee highs (these work best because the elastic type tops go around the bowl easy and the length of the knee high is great when using a lot of buds/shake/leaf/keif. I prefer dried leaves from awesome fresh dank to make the smoothest, tastiest budda. Best of luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom