Need help can’t tell if under or over water NL

Cgbw

Hey all in growing a northern lights plant and I can not tell what my plant is telling me. Is it over watered or under watered? Or a light issue?. My temps usually stay between 75 and 82. With an rh average of 50-52. I have not watered in 3 days now to see if it helps at all. Before I moved the light down I probably had 16” to the top of the canopy now I have it about 8” from the canopy. I am getting drooping and some taco leaves with what appears to be rust spots on the older growth. I’m growing in ffof and this is my second week no added nutes yet and ph level is 7.0. Please help all help us greatly appreciated. I’m running a 20/4 light schedule with a 250w led light

Attachments

• 2CCB5474-5502-4012-9F9D-B73A5E02ACDA.jpeg
    2CCB5474-5502-4012-9F9D-B73A5E02ACDA.jpeg
    854.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 85B7B81E-4D01-4855-9F1F-896C538B938A.jpeg
    85B7B81E-4D01-4855-9F1F-896C538B938A.jpeg
    824.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 5A7ADC12-6941-4C6C-AE1C-2D34B7F8FB0C.jpeg
    5A7ADC12-6941-4C6C-AE1C-2D34B7F8FB0C.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 61
  • B0324517-BE20-4398-9C5F-30B0FE730872.jpeg
    B0324517-BE20-4398-9C5F-30B0FE730872.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 76CA07E1-3325-4FED-8780-39BCCD5FBE62.jpeg
    76CA07E1-3325-4FED-8780-39BCCD5FBE62.jpeg
    857 KB · Views: 57
  • 191F55F3-0E1E-4CDA-8937-E5FAE5A58735.jpeg
    191F55F3-0E1E-4CDA-8937-E5FAE5A58735.jpeg
    927.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 73324103-8E3E-4093-B259-F1B8DAB982D4.jpeg
    73324103-8E3E-4093-B259-F1B8DAB982D4.jpeg
    752.7 KB · Views: 46
Moth died right away I use mosquito bits on my top layer since I’ve had gnat problems before. Moth is removed. I use maybe 8 ounces of water at a time

I do the lift method and stick a finger in the soil
covering all bases I see. Well, the finger in the soil method tells you nothing that you need to know, since the important area that needs to be checked is the very bottom of the container, out of the reach of your finger... and the lift method doesn't work if you are happy with the container simply being lighter than it was when you watered, instead of comparing it to a container that has no water in it. Then, the set amount of water that you give, pretty much decided it for me.... you are not watering correctly since you are deciding for the plant how much to give instead of watering to runoff, and you are overwatering by watering too often. You can't overwater by giving too much water in one session... anything in excess simply runs off.

It is super important to let the soil dry out all the way to the bottom between waterings while in veg, or the lower roots being under water all the time, will shut down. This is where you are at right now. Using the Lift method, when you lift the container, it can't be just lighter than it was when you last watered, it must be so light that you can't tell the difference between it and a similar container filled with dry soil. You will think that you must be killing your plant, waiting for it to get so ridiculously dry. It will seem like the Sahara Desert in there, when it finally is time to water... and surprisingly, your plants will be happy at that point, with its leaves pointing straight up at the light. If you force the plant to go this long between waterings, it will do everything it can do to find all the water in that container, even growing new roots on each cycle just to accomplish this task. Each time you run your plant through a wet/dry cycle, the roots will become stronger, and the plant will be able to drain all the water that soil can hold, in shorter and shorter amounts of time between waterings. When you get to the point that the plant is able to drain that container in a day, it is then and only then, time to uppot.

When you do water, water with gusto... trying to water that soil as if it were a sponge that you were trying to get the very last drop of water in it that it can hold, before any more would simply run out of the bottom. Don't try to scrimp on the water, thinking you might be overwatering. Give it all you can get in there, even watering to runoff one time and then coming back 20 minutes later to give it just a little bit more. Then wait... and let the plant use all of that water before you even think about touching it again. This is a weed. To grow it the right way, you have to not coddle it... you have to force the roots to grow stronger by holding out on the water as long as you can.

I invite you to read my signature work on how to properly water weeds in a closed container. The links are below, in, of course, my signature lines.

Also worth mentioning - your ph is too high at 7.0.... 6.0 to 6.5 for soil grows
I assumed since no nutes have been given yet, that the pH reference was regarding the soil itself, and if it is near 6.8-7, that is perfect, and just where you want it to be so that you can come in with fluids adjusted to 6.3, and get the desired upward drift.

covering all bases I see. Well, the finger in the soil method tells you nothing that you need to know, since the important area that needs to be checked is the very bottom of the container, out of the reach of your finger... and the lift method doesn't work if you are happy with the container simply being lighter than it was when you watered, instead of comparing it to a container that has no water in it. Then, the set amount of water that you give, pretty much decided it for me.... you are not watering correctly since you are deciding for the plant how much to give instead of watering to runoff, and you are overwatering by watering too often. You can't overwater by giving too much water in one session... anything in excess simply runs off.

It is super important to let the soil dry out all the way to the bottom between waterings while in veg, or the lower roots being under water all the time, will shut down. This is where you are at right now. Using the Lift method, when you lift the container, it can't be just lighter than it was when you last watered, it must be so light that you can't tell the difference between it and a similar container filled with dry soil. You will think that you must be killing your plant, waiting for it to get so ridiculously dry. It will seem like the Sahara Desert in there, when it finally is time to water... and surprisingly, your plants will be happy at that point, with its leaves pointing straight up at the light. If you force the plant to go this long between waterings, it will do everything it can do to find all the water in that container, even growing new roots on each cycle just to accomplish this task. Each time you run your plant through a wet/dry cycle, the roots will become stronger, and the plant will be able to drain all the water that soil can hold, in shorter and shorter amounts of time between waterings. When you get to the point that the plant is able to drain that container in a day, it is then and only then, time to uppot.

When you do water, water with gusto... trying to water that soil as if it were a sponge that you were trying to get the very last drop of water in it that it can hold, before any more would simply run out of the bottom. Don't try to scrimp on the water, thinking you might be overwatering. Give it all you can get in there, even watering to runoff one time and then coming back 20 minutes later to give it just a little bit more. Then wait... and let the plant use all of that water before you even think about touching it again. This is a weed. To grow it the right way, you have to not coddle it... you have to force the roots to grow stronger by holding out on the water as long as you can.

I invite you to read my signature work on how to properly water weeds in a closed container. The links are below, in, of course, my signature lines.
Wow that is a lot of useful Info. Thankyou so much for that. So I’m guessing I should wait a while now to water until I start seeing signs of improvements on my plant?

Wow that is a lot of useful Info. Thankyou so much for that. So I’m guessing I should wait a while now to water until I start seeing signs of improvements on my plant?
wait the 5-7 days for the plant to drain that soil of all the stale water it has been accumulating down at the bottom. After 3 days, just to keep the plant's metabolism high, give a very light watering intended to just wet the top spreader roots to about 3" deep... don't give enough water that any extra might fall down to the bottom and add to the problem down there. Be patient, and wait for the plant to drain all that water, and she will start looking much better. Give her 3 good wet/dry cycles, and she will be totally recovered.

wait the 5-7 days for the plant to drain that soil of all the stale water it has been accumulating down at the bottom. After 3 days, just to keep the plant's metabolism high, give a very light watering intended to just wet the top spreader roots to about 3" deep... don't give enough water that any extra might fall down to the bottom and add to the problem down there. Be patient, and wait for the plant to drain all that water, and she will start looking much better. Give her 3 good wet/dry cycles, and she will be totally recovered.
Thankyou so much!

Do you think I should have the light closer or further where it’s at right now I can keep my hand under it, but it’s led so I’m not sure if that’s a good judge?

Do you think I should have the light closer or further where it’s at right now I can keep my hand under it, but it’s led so I’m not sure if that’s a good judge?
no, that is simply guessing. Get a LUX meter to be sure and of course, follow the manufacturer's recommendation. All these lights are so different, I would have no idea at what distance is appropriate for your plants at this stage. I will say that 8" is probably too close... most LEDs these days are designed to give their best light at about a foot away... any closer and you are losing too much footprint.

Well a new day and the plant looks worse today with one leave showing major spotting of brown and tip of the leaf curling up and the other leaves droop even more. Luckily the new growth is looking decent. Still not watering.

Attachments

• 07186194-3910-44D6-99C6-9EABB477D9B0.jpeg
    07186194-3910-44D6-99C6-9EABB477D9B0.jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 34
  • 70944C3A-485D-4C90-8655-0C7F706A3987.jpeg
    70944C3A-485D-4C90-8655-0C7F706A3987.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 40
  • BB1880D9-B54F-4371-A150-FB952CE42F96.jpeg
    BB1880D9-B54F-4371-A150-FB952CE42F96.jpeg
    813.8 KB · Views: 39
i am thinking 2 things , ph out, 6.3 would be better , and them leaves have they been bouncing up and down on the soil with a fan blowing ? the leaves can get damage sitting on the top of the soil or hitting them with nutrients will also cause marks , i know you haven't added but be careful when you do
Your in good hands here any ways :)

:thumb:

I actually just repositioned my circulating fan so it’s blowing a little off the plants and hitting the walls of my box so it isn’t a direct hit

Back
Top Bottom