Need help - First grow

NoobgrowerS

Hi.
I'm about to start my first grow and i need some input. I live in Europe so we have metric system.
I have a grow tent 60x60x160 cm and i'm not shure wath size pots i need.
Do i have to have smaller pots during veg. and then change to bigger in bloom?
I will be running 2 plants at a time.

What size of pots do yoy recommend? I'm thinking around 10 litres in bloom.

Much appreciated for answer :)

Best regards

10l should be just big enough, and you don't want to be traumatizing a plant with an up-pot while it's flowering, so rather up-pot while in veg so that the roots can get properly established before it goes into flower. I have an auto in a 12l autopot & it's doing really well. Not huge, but big buds & small enough to manage.

I live in Australia and we use the metric system too. I've got a 60x60cm veg tent and 90x90cm flower tent. My local shop for pots n stuff doesn't advertise pots in litres of volume but as millimetres in diameter+height. Using mm instead of L that means I can fit in the veg tent 4x4 125mm pots (small pots but bigger than seedling pots), 3x3 175mm pots, or 2x2 250mm pots (the 250mm are my final pot sizes which will give me a max of 3x3 pots in the 90x90cm flower tent). So just in case your pot sizes are shown as diameter instead of volume (or just take a tape measure) if your grow space is 60x60cm then you could fit 4 pots total with 250mm(25cm) diameter. Even 2 pots only you'd still be looking at the same size, maybe 30cm max if you set them diagonal. And don't forget that the inside usable space is likely less than the advertised outer space so 2x 30cm pots may not actually fit.

I live in Australia and we use the metric system too. I've got a 60x60cm veg tent and 90x90cm flower tent. My local shop for pots n stuff doesn't advertise pots in litres of volume but as millimetres in diameter+height. Using mm instead of L that means I can fit in the veg tent 4x4 125mm pots (small pots but bigger than seedling pots), 3x3 175mm pots, or 2x2 250mm pots (the 250mm are my final pot sizes which will give me a max of 3x3 pots in the 90x90cm flower tent). So just in case your pot sizes are shown as diameter instead of volume (or just take a tape measure) if your grow space is 60x60cm then you could fit 4 pots total with 250mm(25cm) diameter. Even 2 pots only you'd still be looking at the same size, maybe 30cm max if you set them diagonal. And don't forget that the inside usable space is likely less than the advertised outer space so 2x 30cm pots may not actually fit.

Hi Nightmask,

I'm a newbie living in the Brisbane area and I am seeking some general advice from experienced growers such as yourself on the do's and don'ts of growing marijuana hydroponically for personal use (not medicinal) . For obvious reasons I will be carrying out all the growing inside a 9m x 7m shed shed on my acreage property.

I have already purchased two (2) "Green Finger" grow tents, each 2.8m long x 1.4m wide x 2.00m high, various types and sizes of "AutoPot" hydroponic equipment complete with smart valves, 2 x Meizhi 1200 Watt Full Spectrum LED grow lights (with grow and flower switches), a 350mm dia. active carbon filter with 150mm dia inlet, a 150cm dia axial fan with a flow rate of 350m3/H, and a 225 litre collapsible water storage tank to gravity feed water to the plants in the "AutoPot" 30cm dia. pots with smart valves.

I've just bought my first lot of cannabis seeds from CKS and anticipate receiving the seeds around the end of April. All the seeds that I have purchased are feminised and are high THC strains, e.g. Purple Kush, Durban Poison, Cali OG Kush/Haze, White Cookies, Crown Royale, and Green Crack (I have bought 5 seeds of each strain).

I am particularly seeking information and guidance on the following:-

1. The initial germination and subsequent growing of the cannabis seeds.
2. What nutrients I should use and at what dosage rates?
3. What growing media I should use in the 30cm dia. pots, i.e. perlite or clay pellets?
4. At what height should I mount the 2 x 1200W LED grow lights above the plants in the grow tents?

Any advice that you can offer me on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, roughly where in Australia are you located?

Regards,

Welsh Wizard

This is how I did it when I did my first auto in an autopot (with airdome)

1. To pop the seed: 24hrs in water, then 24hrs in damp tissue in a warm place, maybe 48hrs, depending on the length of tap root you're comfortable working with.

2. Get a PPM/EC meter & a ph kit/meter. I've used EHG & Hortimix powdered nutes, but that's largely personal preference & dependent on what you can get over there. I planted straight into the autopot & started with a PPM of around 150 for 2 weeks, then increased it to around 350. At week 4/5 I was around 800/900 PPM. PH was held constant around 6 throughout.

3. Coco works the best as it's very absorbent. I used Promix 50, which is 50/50 coco & perlite. An airdome/airstone with a layer of clay pebbles will help aerate the roots & prevent root-rot. Also bubble your reservoir for at least 24hrs for extra oxygen & get rid of excess chlorine before you start (if you're using tap water)

4. I'm starting my first DWC indoor grow, but at about 50cm with an 800w LED lamp, I was burning my plants, so I've raised it to around 70/80cm, so far they're doing well.

This is how I did it when I did my first auto in an autopot (with airdome)

1. To pop the seed: 24hrs in water, then 24hrs in damp tissue in a warm place, maybe 48hrs, depending on the length of tap root you're comfortable working with.

2. Get a PPM/EC meter & a ph kit/meter. I've used EHG & Hortimix powdered nutes, but that's largely personal preference & dependent on what you can get over there. I planted straight into the autopot & started with a PPM of around 150 for 2 weeks, then increased it to around 350. At week 4/5 I was around 800/900 PPM. PH was held constant around 6 throughout.

3. Coco works the best as it's very absorbent. I used Promix 50, which is 50/50 coco & perlite. An airdome/airstone with a layer of clay pebbles will help aerate the roots & prevent root-rot. Also bubble your reservoir for at least 24hrs for extra oxygen & get rid of excess chlorine before you start (if you're using tap water)

4. I'm starting my first DWC indoor grow, but at about 50cm with an 800w LED lamp, I was burning my plants, so I've raised it to around 70/80cm, so far they're doing well.

Hi JimmyZee,

Greetings from "Downunder".

Thank you for posting that valuable information for me, it is much appreciated.

I look forward to viewing future postings in relation to the progress of your first DWC indoor grow that you've mentioned above.

Kind regards,

Welsh Wizard

Hi JimmyZee,

Greetings from "Downunder".

Thank you for posting that valuable information for me, it is much appreciated.

I look forward to viewing future postings in relation to the progress of your first DWC indoor grow that you've mentioned above.

Kind regards,

Welsh Wizard

No worries, bud. I'm trying to get the most out of my grow with the least amount of effort (like I'm sure a lot of us are) & I have/am trying various methods :Namaste:
If I can get the same yields from my indoor DWC as the outdoor autopot, then I'd say they're about equal.
Greetz from Cape Town :D
btw, check out this vid from APE. It's quite old, but helped me chill & enjoy the growing experience.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the above video, some very good information in that...........

BTW, what is the legal situation growing weed in SA?

Also, I note that you are living in Capetown, so have to ask how you are going with the reported dire shortage of water in Capetown. Here's hoping that you get some good rain soon to fill up your water reservoirs.:)

Regards,

Welsh Wizard

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the above video, some very good information in that...........

BTW, what is the legal situation growing weed in SA?

Also, I note that you are living in Capetown, so have to ask how you are going with the reported dire shortage of water in Capetown. Here's hoping that you get some good rain soon to fill up your water reservoirs.:)

Regards,

Welsh Wizard

It's still very much illegal. lol. At least we have a grey area as far as growing & consuming in the privacy of your own home. That case from March 2017 was won, but the laws haven't changed yet. Trial of the Plant (for legalization) is postponed till whenever, but if you're caught, you can apply for a stay of prosecution pending the outcome of that one...

It's been raining a bit, but not enough. I'm expecting another cold, dry winter, but we'll see :p

Hi Jimmy Zee,

Last night on the Australian ABC TV News I was delighted to see film footage of the flooding of many streets in Capetown after what was reported as a torrential downpour. I was delighted because I guess it means that this flooding would ease the drought that Capetown has been suffering for such a long time.

So obviously the "rain dance" that you and others in the Capetown region have been doing was spectacularly successful!!!:goodjob:

BTW, I received my first seeds in the post today, so I'm a bit excited that soon I'll be able to start growing my first Marijuana.

My two 2.8m long x 1.4m wide x 2m high grow tents have now been fully assembled, and the 2 x Meizhi 1200W Full Spectrum grow lights are due to arrive on Monday. I'm still waiting on a 400 litre collapsible water storage tank arriving so that I can gravity feed water to my "AutoPot" plant growing system. It should arrive on Thursday next week.

Like yourself, after I've gained more growing knowledge, I intend trying out an indoor DWC growing system to see how it compares in terms of yields, etc.

Once again, I'm absolutely delighted for you that the rains have finally arrived in Capetown!!! I trust that you didn't suffer any damage at your place from the reported flooding.

Kind regards,

Welsh Wizard

Back
Top Bottom