Need help identifying this pest

Below you will see a couple of pics of a couple of my pepper plants...they are being attacked by something I've not experienced...starts out as something that looks like a drop of water...only its minutely sticky...within a few days little white slivers (larvae??) on the leaves and budding flowers...

The reason I'm asking is the last couple of times I've taken the girlz outside...I've noticed a few of these "water drops" on a few leaves...after removing said leaves there seems to be no re occurance...however...to be proactive I'm thinking I should maybe treat them and my remaining peppers...the girlz are going 12/12 as of this evening so I don't know if that factors into using some product...perhaps neem oil?

Any advice and help identifying these pests greatly appreciated...cheerz!...h00k ...

P10505741.JPG

P10505731.JPG

I am not sure what they are. But I would be putting some
710z_7MdG2L_SL1500_.jpg

on them if they where on my plants.

Neem may work. But a lot of the time it just slows things down more then kills them. Spinosad kills a lot of bugs very fast.

Gracias...seems like a great product...lots of good reviews...as well, after some research last night...Pyrethrin seems to be a good natural deterrent/killer of bugs...hopefully be able to source either locally...hopefully as well, someone might identify the pests...just to know what I'm dealing with...cheerz!...h00k...

Looks like aphids. If it is, you should burn that plant asap and sterilize the pot with bleach.

More likely aphid by the looks of things.

That slightly sticky stuff on the leafs is aphid poo... basically aphids suck the sap out of the plant & crap out sugar as a waste by product ants love this stuff, in nature ants will farm aphid colonies for free food :thumb:

Neem oil should be fine against most sap suckers i use it on my chilli plants myself but need to reply a neem oil spray every 10 to 14 days for an effect barrier etc

More likely aphid by the looks of things.

That slightly sticky stuff on the leafs is aphid poo... basically aphids suck the sap out of the plant & crap out sugar as a waste by product ants love this stuff, in nature ants will farm aphid colonies for free food :thumb:

Neem oil should be fine against most sap suckers i use it on my chilli plants myself but need to reply a neem oil spray every 10 to 14 days for an effect barrier etc

It was my understanding that aphids start out in the roots. If my information is wrong, please let me know. I was always taught to burn plants that have an aphid infestation, esp ones that are this bad, because they have already left the roots and foliage exposed to mildews and diseases with their bites and it's likely they will find their way to other plants if you don't get rid of the medium and the plant and sterilize the pot. I've always regarded an aphid infestation as much more of an emergency than a mite infestation. I guess it could be overkill though. Can you really spray for them to get rid of them completely, or is it just a deterrent?

I was my understanding that aphids start out in the roots. If my information is wrong, please let me know. I was always taught to burn plants that have an aphid infestation, esp ones that are this bad, because they have already left the roots and foliage exposed to mildews and diseases with their bites and it's likely they will find their way to other plants if you don't get rid of the medium and the plant and sterilize the pot. I've always regarded an aphid infestation as much more of an emergency than a mite infestation. I guess it could be overkill though. Can you really spray for them to get rid of them completely, or is it just a deterrent?

Well ye, that is some what Mmm not right in my books...

I'm a gardener by trade just normal horticulture & MMJ is just a side hobby for my own needs at the end of day :Namaste:

But i'm pretty sure aphids are not a soil bound insect.

A light infestation can be controlled such as the above, how ever heavy infestations may be some what damaging & totally destroy the plant in a few weeks or so even with methods put in place !

Whilst it is true that insect bites may pass on other plant problems from one to another mainly disease's / virus it would largely depend upon if new host plant is susceptible to such problems ?

So it gives a rather large open field or broad horizon on the matter at hand !

Well ye, that is some what Mmm not right in my books...

I'm a gardener by trade just normal horticulture & MMJ is just a side hobby for my own needs at the end of day :Namaste:

But i'm pretty sure aphids are not a soil bound insect.

A light infestation can be controlled such as the above, how ever heavy infestations may be some what damaging & totally destroy the plant in a few weeks or so even with methods put in place !

Whilst it is true that insect bites may pass on other plant problems from one to another mainly disease's / virus it would largely depend upon if new host plant is susceptible to such problems ?

So it gives a rather large open field or broad horizon on the matter at hand !

Ok. I looked into it a bit more. I think I was getting root aphids (phylloxera) and normal aphids confused. Same Suborder, different superfamilies. Root aphids apparently start in the soil (and on the roots) and, if they have a chance, can develop wings and start sucking the sap out of the plant itself, but they don't produce honeydew or the white secretions. Sorry for suggesting you should burn your pepper plant drhook! That would definitely have been a little overkill.
I have, however, seen aphids kill a plant very quickly after it got to this stage of infestation, you'll want to act sooner than later.

Thanks for clarifying fuzzyduck!

Well...seems you guys nailed it!...wife went on a bit of a road trip today to visit a friend and stopped by the nursery where she bought the pepper seedlings...she had brought a couple of affected leaves with her and they also diagnosed as aphids...apparently they seem to be having a bumper year(never had them in our neck of the woods tho')...they sold her some insecticidal soap spray...said it should do the trick...doesn't even say whats in it!...lolool...prolly a good percentage of canola oil and other household items...I appreciate your help!!...Between the purchased product and the recipes that came from the video NP posted, think I'll be able to eradicate these lil forkers...Mucho Gracias!!...cheerz!...h00k...

Ok. I looked into it a bit more. I think I was getting root aphids (phylloxera) and normal aphids confused. Same Suborder, different superfamilies. Root aphids apparently start in the soil (and on the roots) and, if they have a chance, can develop wings and start sucking the sap out of the plant itself, but they don't produce honeydew or the white secretions. Sorry for suggesting you should burn your pepper plant drhook! That would definitely have been a little overkill.
I have, however, seen aphids kill a plant very quickly after it got to this stage of infestation, you'll want to act sooner than later.

Thanks for clarifying fuzzyduck!

Thank you for mentioning such information & i shall take a look some time soon to research further in the matter at hand !

I must admit i do enjoy such answers as it aid's my own learning curve :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom