Need help please! First grow with a very sick plant

JnTas

Hey all, first post on this site although I've been reading for a while. First time I can't find anything to help me on here. Anyway I've got one very sick looking plant and I have no idea what to do :(

Details of the plant/grow are;
Strain - Moxie Seeds Viper City OG
Grow type - Outdoor, Greenhouse
Media - Mixture of Canna Terra Pro, generic potting mix, tomato growing mix, compost, about 25% perlite. Growing in about a 40L pot.
Nutes - Canna Terra Vega and Seasol (vega fed at 4ml/l once a week, seasol as instructed every 3rd week), gave it a foliar feed of trace elements two nights ago as I thought it may be caused by a deficiency of some kind.
If I've forgotten anything important just ask and I'll be happy to tell :)

Okay so ive had slow growth in this plant (and another but its looking alright compared) for quite a while, since a few weeks ago the larger fan leaves started yellowing and I put it down to a N deficiency, so upped nutes and let it go, continued to happen but started speeding up the time it took for them to die, and then in a couple of nodes off of the main stem, the base of branches started to go a brown/black colour thats soft to touch, with those branches leaves going yellow with red/purple veins then crisping up and dying. Tried foliar feeding trace minerals with no luck.

If anyone could please help me and my plant I will be forever in your debt!!
Feel free to criticize this post constructively since its my first :) thanks in advance!

You sure it's not your PH locking out the nutes? Overwatering? Sitting on a cold floor?

It'll be nearly impossible to diagnose without lots more information. I'd suggest you start a grow journal and put all your details in there. No better way to let the pros know how you are doing and help out where necessary.

The most likely explanation is PH, IMHO, but the experts will likely be by in the morning to correct me.

Snapchat-3528416877047087356.jpg
Snapchat-3329283997140240023.jpg
Snapchat-2931929340205673136.jpg
Thanks heaps for the quick reply, my soil ph is about 6.5 and so is my runoff. Ive got a coupla photos to try explain whats up.

And they sit raised off of the ground for drainage si the cold floor shouldn't be too bad. I usually water about 3-4L every day or two, but with Temps between 20-35 during the day with about 30% RH on average although it does cool off a bit at night. The top of the soils usually bone dry down a few cm.

Thats what I'm talking about! Its happened on another branch a few nodes up too, I have no idea what it is I was hoping someone here would ha. I have a Red Diesel plant, same age and conditions and everything that has it slightly on one brance but its grey not black and hasnt seemed to effect it at all.

I'm half thinking I've cut of a sad looking fan leaf and forgotten to clean scissors beforehand? Can those kinda things happen?

And they sit raised off of the ground for drainage si the cold floor shouldn't be too bad. I usually water about 3-4L every day or two, but with Temps between 20-35 during the day with about 30% RH on average although it does cool off a bit at night. The top of the soils usually bone dry down a few cm.
No offense meant but the checking the top layer of the soil is a poor way to determine when to water because the top layer may be dry but towards the bottom i gurantee its not. I normally would suggest lifting the pot to determine how light it is but your pot might be a bit big for that method lol. Im guessing your overwatering. As for the brown spot im not sure what that is but if it's soft and stinky or just one or the other it isn't good.

No offense meant but the checking the top layer of the soil is a poor way to determine when to water because the top layer may be dry but towards the bottom i gurantee its not. I normally would suggest lifting the pot to determine how light it is but your pot might be a bit big for that method lol. Im guessing your overwatering. As for the brown spot im not sure what that is but if it's soft and stinky or just one or the other it isn't good.

None taken :) I might start leaving them to dry out for a few days, I have one frisian duck outside in the ground that gets a 9l can once a week if I remember LOL, and its huuuge with crazy amounts of branching everywhere

None taken :) I might start leaving them to dry out for a few days, I have one frisian duck outside in the ground that gets a 9l can once a week if I remember LOL, and its huuuge with crazy amounts of branching everywhere

I do think your overwatering, i just did a quick search and saw something that sounds like what you have but it is usually seen in seedlings that are overwatered, its called "damping off" i suggest you research that and see if that sounds like the brown spots you have, other than that I am afraid i don't have any other ideas about the brown spots.

I think you also said your using tomato mix in your soil ( M Grow?), bad idea, time release ferts. You feed and they over feed over time. That soil will starve then burn your plants. I'm not sure how to proceed maybe a dirt change to some peat moss based soil. Good luck.

I do think your overwatering, i just did a quick search and saw something that sounds like what you have but it is usually seen in seedlings that are overwatered, its called "damping off" i suggest you research that and see if that sounds like the brown spots you have, other than that I am afraid i don't have any other ideas about the brown spots.

I saw that too when I was searching for an explanation but I don't think its quite it, but it does look like some kind of infection or something.

I think you also said your using tomato mix in your soil ( M Grow?), bad idea, time release ferts. You feed and they over feed over time. That soil will starve then burn your plants. I'm not sure how to proceed maybe a dirt change to some peat moss based soil. Good luck.

Its just Brunnings tomato mix, just usual potting mix with some bloodand bone added, my soils roughly 10% this, I tried diluting it with the generic plain stuff. But yeah that could be it too. So lost ha..

I'm not so sure, if there is root damage and loss of root mass the plant will kill off parts to balance root mass to plant mass. Or the plant was in a weakened state and has root rot which is fatal. But soil swap will answer those questions. Now the issue is which Avenue to pursue. At which point I'm at a loss because it's not my plant and I'm not sure that if you succeed in changing the soil you might kill the plant anyway. Good luck

Ya that was all i could find with a quick search and apparently from the sounds of it it can happen with older plants but more common with seedlings. It would make sense since 1 you are overwatering 2 you got some random soil so who knows if it was carrying a fungi or something. Just lay off the watering for a minimum of a week you have your girl in a big pot so it will take a good while to dry out completely. Might want to wait longer even it depends on temps and drainage of your soil.

Ya that was all i could find with a quick search and apparently from the sounds of it it can happen with older plants but more common with seedlings. It would make sense since 1 you are overwatering 2 you got some random soil so who knows if it was carrying a fungi or something. Just lay off the watering for a minimum of a week you have your girl in a big pot so it will take a good while to dry out completely. Might want to wait longer even it depends on temps and drainage of your soil.

Thanks for the reply, I gave it a water this afternoon before I posted this :/ drainage is good and mid 20's all week I think so I'll leave it for a good week, and definitely cut down on watering my other one which is in the same sized pot and about the same size to a couple times a week.

Hey guys, plants still looking pretty bad, lost more leaves and the remaining are turning purple now, theres one branch thats got dark green growth though.

Also I just found something while just browsing the internet that looks and sounds similar to whats happening, give 'fusarium wilt' a google.
Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom