New closet set up?

If you're willing to work with us we can do our best to find you gear at prices close to those. However please keep in mind much of their stuff is direct from a Chinese manufacturer. That is not to say it's all bad however that's also not to say it's all good.

:Namaste:

I'm only growing 2,or 3 girls for my personal use and had really planned on going with CFLs ( at least for my first grow) for a couple of reasons....$ & heat....$ wise it seems the kit is comparable. Am I correct?

Oh, this reminds me of just only months ago and the words that fell out of my face. It all seemed so easy and simple... (and it is, but...)

Fast forward a few months and about $1,500 later and here I am! (note the lack of a "lol", it's still not quite funny yet...)

First, I love that vendor. I've ordered from them and they were great. No worries there.

Buying a kit is great, but stop for a minute and think this a bit further in time. Can you see yourself as the type of person that if you like doing this you may want to "go the next step"? Does quality mean more to you than the time and effort to source it all, or does "one-stop-shopping" sound better to you at the (potential) mild lack in quality from a "one-size-fits-none" kit?

It took me 38 years, but I finally realized that, while it hurts sometimes, waiting to buy the next step up in quality pays dividends unimaginably later down the line. You truly will be hard pressed to find a better example of "you get what you put in" than this hobby.

CFL's do amazing things in the right (and equally amazing) hands. You're gonna have to research and learn my friend to make this work well though. For instance, I spent another 9 hours reading about LED's yesterday / last night. That is probably the 4th 9 hour day this week and I had a couple more last week and I still have NO CLUE which way to go. And that's researching just BUYING a darn light. Then the research of where to place it in my tent, how many, what the coverage is and all that... the research takes as long as growing the darn plant I swear sometimes...

The more I kick it around the more I think that this kit may be a great way to save some money and see if this hobby is something you even want to dedicate the time, energy and resources to and something you enjoy doing. Do not discount any of those three things as you have to spend a lot of time, a lot of energy (both your energy and the electric company's lol) and a lot of resources to produce the quality and/or quantity you'll want / are accustomed to. And the only way to know if you'll even enjoy it or be able to do it is to get started.

I am sure there are many of us that could steer you in the right direction, given enough info on your exact conditions, to be quite successful and have a result you're proud of. Just let us know what the space looks like and as much info as possible and we can assist in a shopping list.

My rule of thumb was to take my budget and triple it. I was still short (and I'm an estimator buy trade, boy that hurt! lol). Quality electrical cords, quality surge protectors, zip ties, pots, soil, nutrients, watering cans / bottles, thermometers / humidity meter, plastic sheeting, sockets for lights, fans for air movement, duct tape, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, a way to measure PH balance (drops are cheap, but still...), drip pans for run-off during watering, etc, etc, etc... the list goes on and on (and on and on and...). I listed approx. 10-15 things here and if each on is only $10 it adds up FAST, and a lot of them are a lot more than $10 each...

We wish you the utmost luck in your endeavors sir and please let us know which way you're swaying and how we may assist. I'd be absolutely, unbelievably lost without the wonderful folks on here. You've come the right place my friend.

I have to agree with Guesstimator that kits are a nice and easy solution at first glance but if you end up replacing a sizable portion of the kit with accessories that better suit your particular grow then it may not be the best way to go in the end. Like Guesstimator, I'm still sorting my way through LED lighting and it will be sometime before I make that leap because it is so new, complicated and expensive compared to the other lighting options.

I've kept track of my expenditures related to growing and consuming cannabis and I'm nearly at $2,500 for everything so far and I'm still adding to my grow environment. For instance, I still need to get a watering system for when I'm away for more than a night or two and I'm sure it won't end there either. FWIW, below is my current list of Marijuana Expenditures -

Grow Environment Setup

$ 125 - Foothills Filters 6"x14" Carbon Filter/Fan Combo (130 CFM)
$ 100 - Autopilot Desktop CO2 Monitor
$ 085 - Xen-Lux Super Pro-700 Grow Box (4' x 2' x 5')
$ 069 - Titan Controls Zephyr 4 Fan Controller
$ 060 - Power Strips, Extension Cords, Y Adapters and Outlet Adapters
$ 051 - Catch/Drip Trays
$ 049 - Honeywell HCM-710 Evaporative Cool Mist Humidifier
$ 044 - Hydrofarm Light Fixtures
$ 044 - Rapiclip Soft Twist Ties
$ 043 - Nursery Pots - (6-2 Gallon, 4-3 Gallon & 2-5 Gallon)
$ 037 - Clamp Light Fixtures
$ 030 - Advanced Nutrients Mini Quick Cure Hanging Dryer Rack
$ 030 - Lasko 6" Clip Fans
$ 020 - Light Fixture Ratchet Hangers
$ 011 - Indoor Heavy Duty Timer
$ 007 - Plastic Hanging Clips
$ 006 - 3' Oak Dowels

$ 811 - Sub-Total

Grow Accessories

$ 064 - Glass Curing/Stash Jars
$ 057 - Supereyes B010 Portable USB Microscope and Extension Cable
$ 017 - 4-5 Gallon Food Safe Buckets
$ 017 - Digital PH Meter
$ 016 - 2-Mason Jar Hygrometer Curing Caps
$ 009 - Hydrofarm Mini Clipper
$ 005 - Rapiclip Pocket Shears
$ 003 - Baster
$ 001 - 3 Piece Poly Spoon Set
$ 001 - 1/8" I.D. X 1/4" O.D. Clear Tubing

$ 190 - Sub-Total

Grow Consumables/Supplies

$ 258 - Hydrofarm 125-Watt 6400K/2700K CFL Bulbs - (includes $129 in replacement bulbs)
$ 175 - Marijuana Seeds - (enough for several grows)
$ 110 - 42-Watt 2700K CFL Bulbs - (includes $42 in replacement bulbs)
$ 109 - 26-Watt 10% UVB CFL Bulbs - (includes $54 in replacement bulbs)
$ 102 - Doggett & Simpson Growology System - (enough for several grows)
$ 064 - Honeywell Humidifier Wicking Filters - (enough for several grows)
$ 047 - Potting Mix - (enough for 2 grows)
$ 044 - Fox Farm Nutrients - (enough for several grows)
$ 025 - 23-Watt 5000K CFL Bulbs - (includes $12 in replacement bulbs)
$ 011 - Boveda Medium 62% Humidipaks - (enough for several grows)
$ 010 - Charcoal Filters - (enough for several grows)
$ 007 - Bud Washing Supplies - (enough for 1 grow)
$ 002 - Coffee Filters - (enough for several grows)
$ 002 - Jiffy Peat Pots - (enough for 2 grows)

$ 966 - Sub-Total

Vaporizers & Accessories

$ 210 - Arizer Extreme Q Vaporizer & Vape Case
$ 086 - Vapor Genie Vaporizer & Piper Case
$ 080 - Large Santa Cruz Shredder Grinder
$ 037 - Magic Flight Finishing Grinder
$ 015 - Large Stainless Steel Stash Case

$ 428 - Sub-Total

$ 2395 - Total

Approximately 60% of the above items I purchased at or near the beginning of my first grow with the remaining 40% or so bought during or near the end of the grow. I also use several items that I already had around the house like watering containers, measuring spoons, 2-liter soda bottles, sugar, yeast, etc. I realize that this is just one example of one grower's setup but I thought that it might help someone with their first grow setup.

Holy food for thought guesstimator!!! Lol!! I totally get the 9 hrs of research at a clip...I'm a terrible insomniac as it is(1 of my main, actually THE MAIN, reason for my need of meds!)& I find myself just browsing the forum" b4 "bed & next thing u know , the suns coming up..... I am on a fixed income at the moment and kind of find myself piecing together my grow room in increments. I'm tending to lean towards CFL's for the umpteenth time due to the heat control. I'm currently in a rental and don't see myself cutting holes in the closet drywall...the space is relatively small (2.5"x3.5" x5" tall). When calculating sq. ft. do I factor in height? I'm only going with 2,girls to start and I'm leaning towards auto strands , most likely candy kush auto. I'm most likely going with Herbie's as a supplier....Any tips on ordering seeds? Does anyone have a discount code for Herbie's? I'm actually gonna order my seeds tonight after I get back from home depot/Walmart for supplies.....wish me luck and thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated!!! :thumb::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom