New indoor grower - Equipment

Rafdim3

420 Member
Hey guys!

I am a new indoor grower and I am getting ready in terms of equipment.

I would have been very grateful if you could possibly give me some recommendations.

The package I am preparing includes:

1) Tent: Indoor Grow Tent 28''x28''x64'' (70cmx70cmx160cm) - Mars Hydro
2) Light: TS 1000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Lamp for 2'x2' Sunlike Spectrum with IR, Replace 200~300w HPS - Mars Hydro
3) Small USB Fan, PH&EC Metter, plugin Programmable Timer Switch, 2 Non-Woven Fabric Planting Bag and a thermometer/humidity meter.

I did not get an inline duck fan and a filter due to the fact that i am not sure if I should get 4'' or 6''.

Since I live in an apartment and in a country that growing is strictly forbidden, I need low consumption equipment, not to make to much noise and not allowing the smell to go out of the grow tent.

My concern is that a 4'' inline duck fan might make much more sound in the full speed in order not to allow the smell to escape. On the other hand, a 6 inch might be much more efficient in the low speed, without making too much noise.

Which products would have been the most suitable in terms of high in Airflow (CFM) , low in Noise (dBA ) and compact for my tent?

Thank you

A 4" duct booster fan is pretty much useless. Get a 6 if you're going that route. However, a 4" inline fan will be plenty. Make sure you have a speed controller or it will get noisy and suck the walls of your tent in. Due to the small grow i would recommend a filter that air can be pulled or pushed through leaving you the option to keep it outside the tent.
I have a nice 4" fan scrubbing two small tents via external ducting and a splitter, if i turn the knob over 50% it's too much!
I would also recommend getting a good odor spray to complement. Last week I picked up some linen scented Ona liquid that you dilute 1/50 with water in a spray bottle and was really impressed.
I smoked a joint in my garage, sprayed the air with it and then opened the door to work in the yard and it just smelled like i was doing laundry! Would be a good idea to have something like that for apartment living anywhere, especially in a country like yours!

Thank you so much for your response.

I am going to proceed with a 5''/125mm just in case. I hope the lowest speed of a 5", will work a bit more comfortable/efficient rather than a 4".

Can you recommend me any good brand duct booster fan, (except the ac infinity cloudline that doesn't deliver here)?

I will check out also the spray for sure;)

Do not cut corners on the ventilation setup...your freedom is at stake!!
If it means having to wait until you can save up for the components or even find them, then it's worth putting the grow on hold until you have it.
I would stay away from 5" because it's very difficult to find ducting parts for that size. Whereas any hardware store will have 4" and 6" available.
The duct booster fans don't work as well on speed controllers because they run at low RPMs whereas the other style fans run at higher RPMs and are better made. I have a 6" duct booster sitting on top of a filter that i run in the garage as a backup especially when drying my harvest. It's running wide open and makes a bit of a static hiss but nothing that wold alert the neighbors. If they ask tell them you bought an air purifier for your allergies, LOL.
I've seen people on this site use "squirrel cage" blower fans that are super quiet and inexpensive and are sold for furnaces and air conditioners. Sometimes you can find used ones for really cheap. Might be a good option.
Also, you don't have to run it full power because the carbon filter works better when the air is moved slower through it (more contact time with the carbon) and as mentioned previously depending on the power of the fan it will create a lot of negative pressure inside the tent possibly to the point of damaging it!

One more thing...find some aluminum HVAC tape...should be available at hardware store with the ducting.
This will save your butt if you have any leaks, tears, or anything that needs closing up.
Won't stick to fabric, but you can seal up loose connections between components, etc.
Great tool for a grower to keep on hand.
Also, double up on your hose clamps.
If your setup needs two, buy four. They're cheap!

Back
Top Bottom