New to cloning and have a question

lexort420

Ok so i just took my first clones ever 6 days ago and went to check on them and noticed the edges of some of the leaves were yellowing and wanted to know if it is not good or is it ok? They are in jiffy peat pellets and had been dipped in rooting powder in a humidity dome not sitting under direct light due to a small strip of emergency blanket that I put on it that doesn't completely cover the dome. Did that to help not grow algae. I open it once or twice a day to refresh the air in the dome. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Yes that is normal- even a good sign. The cuttings are consuming the nitrogen contained in their leaves. The yellowing process tends to coincide with the start of rooting. By the time the larger leaves of the cuttings are quite yellow (10-14 days usually) I usually have roots. Keep giving them fresh air- keep the pellets only moist never wet, and you should be seeing roots in the next few day-week.

You're welcome- :thumb: I hope it works out for you. Post here if you get a chance
I said this already- but to further explain -they seem to root the best when the rooting medium gets to be almost dry. It can be tricky at first to find the balance- but if you can keep the medium at say- under 25% saturated- you'll do fine- and I often see roots shoot out when the medium is about 10% saturated.
I'm just making those numbers up :) by my feel of how they weigh and look.
Anyway- this has been my experience. Also- I don't use a dome or mist at all but I live in a fairly humid place so maybe that's why it doesn't seem necessary. I've had worse luck when I did use a dome- because cuttings tend to stagnate and need more tlc. Now I put them in rockwool cubes, plunk the cubes into damp coco, and leave for the duration. I'm away a lot so need low maintenance.

Well i forgot to come back to this thread but i wanna say my clones rooted and are doing great. I never added any water to the peat pellets cause they were plenty wet when I initially soaked them before sticking the cuttings in em, only misted the dome. Im so happy they rooted and now looking back i realize there wasnt anything to fret about and that it is rather simple and easy i just was super nervous cause it was my first time. Thank you all for taking the time to give me advice it was much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom