New to growing: questions about timing, feeding & what am I doing wrong

TGrabweedski

420 Member
Hi, I am growing Aloha & Banana Autoflower in NJ. I started the seeds the beginning of May and moved them outside in NJ around June 1st. They are in pots of Manure, hummus & garden soil. The soil has been treated with organic fruit tree fertilizer in the first weeks and again about a week ago (after I noticed the leaves started to yellow). They have done well up until recently when many leaves started yellowing with brown edges & tips. I've sprayed them with fungicides & micro nutrients over their life time (mainly in response to changes in the leave color). in the last week, I haven't fed them in a few days and have only watered twice with cal/mag, I've used clear water for daily watering) I've attached some pix if they help with my questions.

My questions are:

1- Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why some leaves have yellow spots brown edges and now the tips have started to dry and curl? I've been treating with organic fungicide / insecticide every week or so. I've treated (sprayed) them with Micro-nutrients.

2- Thinking it may be light burn (before I read that the sun will not cause light burn) I built a screen about 2 weeks ago that filters the sun from ~13:00 to end of day. The addition of the screen has made no noticeable difference with them. It has been 85 - 95 in NJ for the last couple weeks. They get a good breeze all day, would the shade from the screen help if the condition is caused by heat burn as opposed to light, or scrap the screen and give them all the sun they can get?

3- What's the best way to tell trichome color? I really have not seen (maybe because it hasn't changed) any difference in color -from clear to cloudy. I've taken close up pix and zoomed in but can't tell clear from cloudy.

4- How do I know when to harvest auto flower? The advertised grow time (8-9wks Banana & 9-10wks Aloha) is approaching... But I've also read that outdoor autoflower are ready in Oct or Nov.

5- If an auto flower says 9 - 10 weeks to flower, is this 9 - 10 weeks from germination until harvest or germination to the start of flowering and they will take another ##?? weeks to be ready for harvest?

Any suggestions, help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Aloha&Banana.jpg

Bud.jpg

BudLeaf.jpg

20220715_111248a.jpg

20220715_111254a.jpg

Hi, I am growing Aloha & Banana Autoflower in NJ. I started the seeds the beginning of May and moved them outside in NJ around June 1st. They are in pots of Manure, hummus & garden soil. The soil has been treated with organic fruit tree fertilizer in the first weeks and again about a week ago (after I noticed the leaves started to yellow). They have done well up until recently when many leaves started yellowing with brown edges & tips. I've sprayed them with fungicides & micro nutrients over their life time (mainly in response to changes in the leave color). in the last week, I haven't fed them in a few days and have only watered twice with cal/mag, I've used clear water for daily watering) I've attached some pix if they help with my questions.

My questions are:

1- Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why some leaves have yellow spots brown edges and now the tips have started to dry and curl? I've been treating with organic fungicide / insecticide every week or so. I've treated (sprayed) them with Micro-nutrients.

2- Thinking it may be light burn (before I read that the sun will not cause light burn) I built a screen about 2 weeks ago that filters the sun from ~13:00 to end of day. The addition of the screen has made no noticeable difference with them. It has been 85 - 95 in NJ for the last couple weeks. They get a good breeze all day, would the shade from the screen help if the condition is caused by heat burn as opposed to light, or scrap the screen and give them all the sun they can get?

3- What's the best way to tell trichome color? I really have not seen (maybe because it hasn't changed) any difference in color -from clear to cloudy. I've taken close up pix and zoomed in but can't tell clear from cloudy.

4- How do I know when to harvest auto flower? The advertised grow time (8-9wks Banana & 9-10wks Aloha) is approaching... But I've also read that outdoor autoflower are ready in Oct or Nov.

5- If an auto flower says 9 - 10 weeks to flower, is this 9 - 10 weeks from germination until harvest or germination to the start of flowering and they will take another ##?? weeks to be ready for harvest?

Any suggestions, help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Aloha&Banana.jpg

Bud.jpg

BudLeaf.jpg

20220715_111248a.jpg

20220715_111254a.jpg
Hey @TGrabweedski :ciao: welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
Let's try your questions.

1- off color leaves are from nutrient deficiencies more than likely.
Do you have Nutrients?

2- if they are showing ill effects from the heat a screen is helpful. :thumb:

3- search microscope on Zon, the have several cheap ones that hook to your phone.

4- Harvest, wait until all the white pistils have turned red, she will slow right down on her nutrient uptake also.
When she is finished flowering and building for you her pistils will turn red and crinkle in.
That's how you know flowering is finished.
Then check tric's.

5- Seed companies often underestimate flowering times.
Go by # 4 you can't go wrong.

Sorry for the short answers.
Hope it helps.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Thank you. I was concerned I was over feeding them. I do have Nutrients. I have added some fertilizer and potash to the soil and I have a few different foliar sprays (i can list them if that might help) that I have used but was concerned about over feeding. I started watering with cal/mag but was worried again about over feeding. I will continue feeding them -it sounds like their more likely starving than being overfed. They're watered daily or every other day, I'll continue/restart with the cal mag and nutrient sprays. Their buckets were probably a little more manure rich towards the bottoms, could this be causing a high nutrient problem as the roots get deeper?
I'll look for an adapter for my phone to get a better picture close up.
Thank You for the direction.

Thank you. I was concerned I was over feeding them. I do have Nutrients. I have added some fertilizer and potash to the soil and I have a few different foliar sprays (i can list them if that might help) that I have used but was concerned about over feeding. I started watering with cal/mag but was worried again about over feeding. I will continue feeding them -it sounds like their more likely starving than being overfed. They're watered daily or every other day, I'll continue/restart with the cal mag and nutrient sprays. Their buckets were probably a little more manure rich towards the bottoms, could this be causing a high nutrient problem as the roots get deeper?
I'll look for an adapter for my phone to get a better picture close up.
Thank You for the direction.
Calmag in your water 10 minutes before Nutrients if you use cal mag
Full strength Nutrients and a good dry period in between.
Should be every 2-3 days.
Always feed till run off.
And alternating feed, water, feed water.
And dry in between.
These parameters will help with your next grow at least.
But just keep feeding until white pistils are gone.
Are you starting another grow?

Stay safe

What type of manure? Is it aged/composted or fresh? When you made the hummus to mix into the soil, did you use a lot of lemon juice? What's with all the wood chips on top of your soil, is that for mulch? If so, was it treated with anything?

What type of manure? Is it aged/composted or fresh? When you made the hummus to mix into the soil, did you use a lot of lemon juice? What's with all the wood chips on top of your soil, is that for mulch? If so, was it treated with anything?
It is bagged - store bought- manure & bagged humus mixed with some bagged garden soil & soil from my yard. My wife makes the eating hummus so I'd need to ask ;-)
I put a few inches of wood mulch in the pot to reduce evaporation & retain water. I do this in the garden and it seems to help. This again was store bought bagged mulch, that was not treated (by me) with anything and was dyed black in the bag. Should I not be doing this / is this bad ?

I've read that dyed mulch can leach the dye and, possibly, things like chromium, copper, arsenic, et cetera into the soil. But I do not know how likely that is, or - if it does - if it does so in amounts that would be a danger to plants. Hopefully, someone who sees this thread will know.

Calmag in your water 10 minutes before Nutrients if you use cal mag
Full strength Nutrients and a good dry period in between.
Should be every 2-3 days.
Always feed till run off.
And alternating feed, water, feed water.
And dry in between.
These parameters will help with your next grow at least.
But just keep feeding until white pistils are gone.
Are you starting another grow?

Stay safe
Thank you, I will follow this schedule going forward. I used cal mag yesterday and nutrients last night. I'll continue your schedule every 2 days. Will the spray nutrients be enough for them, or should I be using soil or water additives ?
I did start another one of each July 3rd (Picture attached). Should these be moved to a bigger pot & go outside yet?

I also started Bruce Banner Auto and White Widow Auto on July 21, WW should be moved to soil, correct? BB hasn't started yet. Should i give it another week then try another seed?

I also attached a picture of one of the leaves showing problems for any other recommendations / suggestions you might have.

Thanks again !

20220726_093332.jpg

20220726_104314.jpg

20220726_104652.jpg

Thank you, I will follow this schedule going forward. I used cal mag yesterday and nutrients last night. I'll continue your schedule every 2 days. Will the spray nutrients be enough for them, or should I be using soil or water additives ?
I did start another one of each July 3rd (Picture attached). Should these be moved to a bigger pot & go outside yet?

I also started Bruce Banner Auto and White Widow Auto on July 21, WW should be moved to soil, correct? BB hasn't started yet. Should i give it another week then try another seed?

I also attached a picture of one of the leaves showing problems for any other recommendations / suggestions you might have.

Thanks again !

20220726_093332.jpg

20220726_104314.jpg

20220726_104652.jpg
If you have liquid nutrients you mix with your water use them.
Put in cal mag first then wait 10 minutes.
Then add the nutrients according to the schedule that came with them.
It should be high in P and K so something that's 1 - 10 - 10 just an example.
Not exactly that but that sort of amount.

As soon as a 1/2 " tail appears poke a 1/2" hole with a pencil and put it in tail first.
Then lightly fill in and water.
Do you want a tutorial on watering?

If it doesn't pop in a week drop another seed.
Think that's everything.
What nutrients do you have?
Your babies need Nutrients too.

Read that, I can get you another one on big pots , hold on.

Read that one after

Here is a thread with everything you can think of.

Thats a reference guide with everything.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill284

Outstanding! Thank you I will read these tonight.
I've used Dr Earth Flower and fruit tree, potash, in the soil.
I've fed/Sprayed them a few times with:
"Advanced Nutrients Micro pH Perfect Fertilizer"
And a couple times with:
"BudJuice Micro - Premium Advanced Liquid Organic Fertilizer & Nutrients"

I also have "ALL BIO - Organic Plant Food - Flower/Blooms and Leafy Nutrients/Biostimulants" but have not used this one yet.
If any of these (or another type all together) are better than the other please let me know.
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Outstanding! Thank you I will read these tonight.
I've used Dr Earth Flower and fruit tree, potash, in the soil.
I've fed/Sprayed them a few times with:
"Advanced Nutrients Micro pH Perfect Fertilizer"
And a couple times with:
"BudJuice Micro - Premium Advanced Liquid Organic Fertilizer & Nutrients"

I also have "ALL BIO - Organic Plant Food - Flower/Blooms and Leafy Nutrients/Biostimulants" but have not used this one yet.
If any of these (or another type all together) are better than the other please let me know.
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.
Do you have the full line of the advanced Nutrients ph perfect,
Micro, Grow, bloom.
I'd use those.
But pic one and feed everyone.
They need fed asap.

Stay safe

Bill, why is that?
Cal mag helps with uptake of your other nutrients.
It takes 10 minutes to bond with the water before the other nutrients are put in.
Otherwise it doesn't work properly.

Stay safe

I do not have the full line of advanced nutrients just the micro...
They were fed today, with cal mag then the advanced micro in the water, following your direction and the links you sent. There is no change was seen yet (or really expected that quickly) and the temp dropped here so I removed the screen & they're back in full sunlight.

I've left the leaves that have some yellow or brown spots on the edges edges or tips thinking these will still work to gather light for energy, and will eventually get their green color back with with health. Is this right? Or should all (there's alot) of the affected leaves be removed?

If just the tip of a leave is brown can the tip be clipped and the rest of the leave left? Will the clipped leaf still work to collect sunlight and grow the rest of the plant?

If I feed them every other day should I supplement feeding them on alternate days with leaf nutrients. Always feed in the morning, correct?

I ordered a soil ph/moisture guage, a soil nutrients test kit and a handheld microscope (for down the road when these babies have recovered to a lush dark green and is so heavy with buds the deck starts to lean)!

I do not have the full line of advanced nutrients just the micro...
They were fed today, with cal mag then the advanced micro in the water, following your direction and the links you sent.
You need the other 2 parts to go with the micro. ( grow & bloom )
There is no change was seen yet (or really expected that quickly) and the temp dropped here so I removed the screen & they're back in full sunlight.
Full sun is good.
I've left the leaves that have some yellow or brown spots on the edges edges or tips thinking these will still work to gather light for energy, and will eventually get their green color back with with health. Is this right? Or should all (there's alot) of the affected leaves be removed?
I don't pluck off damaged leaves.
If they fall off fine.
Otherwise I let them be.
If just the tip of a leave is brown can the tip be clipped and the rest of the leave left? Will the clipped leaf still work to collect sunlight and grow the rest of the plant?
It's better to trim off any damage and leave as much as you can.
If I feed them every other day should I supplement feeding them on alternate days with leaf nutrients.
The best way is feed, dry, water, dry, feed, dry , water, dry feed..............etc.
Always feed in the morning, correct?
Best to feed in morning if possible.
I ordered a soil ph/moisture guage, a soil nutrients test kit and a handheld microscope (for down the road when these babies have recovered to a lush dark green and is so heavy with buds the deck starts to lean)!
You will get there don't worry.

Stay safe

I've had a lot of questions and I appreciate all of the answers I've gotten. Another one I have, if you can tell from these pictures:
These buds have not flowered yet, correct? It looks to me like there are a couple that have just started to open, correct?
Based on this i should be continuing with feeding them every other day with potassium and phosphforus rich nutrients, correct?

20220728_133456.jpg

20220728_133438.jpg

I've had a lot of questions and I appreciate all of the answers I've gotten. Another one I have, if you can tell from these pictures:
These buds have not flowered yet, correct? It looks to me like there are a couple that have just started to open, correct?
Based on this i should be continuing with feeding them every other day with potassium and phosphforus rich nutrients, correct?

20220728_133456.jpg

20220728_133438.jpg
Correct my friend. :thumb:
Keep feeding her.
Those are called buds and she is considered to be in flower.
Some people call buds flowers.
Just give her flowering nutrients till the end.

Stay safe

So the PH / Wetness meter just arrived.... PH is low reading around 3... but the soil is moist... Too wet! (it's pinning the needle).
MY knee jerk reaction, which I hope was right, was to -lightly- water them with less than a QT of water with ~1/2 tsp of baking soda in it to bring the PH up... I'll check these again in the morning and hopefully it comes up.

I'll test the nutrients in the soil in the morning and supplement feed (if needed) with leaf spray for the next few days until the soil dries out.

Note to self: Wood chips hold in the moisture with tomatoes better than with these Bettys...

Back
Top Bottom