Newbie needs help please

lphill65

I have a 2'Wx4'Lx8"H shower stall I have been trying to grow in with minimal success. The plants seem to just stop after a couple weeks and then die. I just received some great seeds and need advice before I try again. I have a 400 watt MH/HPS light and a small fan, and am using a growbox with good drainage. I think it is the growbox, as I seem to get lots of little "houseplant" flies even with minimal watering and misting. Any and all help would be appreciated.

No pics; started 12; 7 survivors with only 2 over 2" tall after 4 weeks. Used 50% organic soil, peat moss, worm castings and bat guano w/ some perlite to keep it light. Thanks for listening; feel dumb as I can grow anything outside here in the SW but cannot do it inside..............

I was just finishing reading it!! They all look okay; the 2 over 2" look good but the others are just tiny; underdeveloped. Very skinny stems despite the light and fan. The 2 over 2" have 8 leaves-broad-but the others have 2-3 leaves, teesny. It just seems like they are in stasis/shock.

Temps at 77-80 F, light was about 3' above but have moved it to 4' as the 2 that are growing have very little space between the branches, almost on on top on each other.

I am thinking with my new seeds I should put them into individual pots rather than the univeral grow box and transplant what survives into pots as well. Am concerned about ventilation in such a small space as well. Live in a very warm area that relies on A/C from now till October.

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

PS H20 misting daily, area watering around plants qod, but does attract the houseplant flies. The growboxes say to water daily till full on the bottom, but it just seems to attract more bugs when I do.

Pull them out of them medium you have them in and find some good potting soil like fox farms ocean forest or light warrior to repot them in. Each plant "has" to have it's own container. In a bed garden if one plant gets affected they all get affected. The gnats are their due to rotting moist plant material most likely in the medium. Temps are too high and will only get hotter as the days grow longer. Use the HPS and lower it about 2 feet. It will create a lot less heat than the MH will. Get a bigger fan as well. One blows on the light and one circulates the air around the room. Especially one that oscillates and blows well. You need to dry up the area. Shower stalls are hard to grow in. Have you made it light tight as well? If not then you are not going to get a harvest no matter what you do. QUIT THE MISTNG! the flies are there because of too moist of conditions already. Shooting water molecules all over the room is only making things worse.
You have to be able to get the hot air out of the room! If you can't do that then you aren't going to be able to grow. You have to control the enviroment. It's the key to growing anything. (except mold and algea)

I did not know I could use the HPS now, I had read to use the MH first then the HPS for flowering. I will take them out tomorrow and replant and try and rectumfy my mistakes. Supposedly the growboxes were supposed to be great; obviously not.
What kind of light cycle should I use for the starters? Can I put them with the existing survivors?
Is a fan integral; maybe a could mount one on the wall for such a small space?
How many plants could I cultivate??

Sorry to ask so many questions that have probably answered before, but I am new to such freedom and am eager to learn and enjoy!!

Thanks!

I've used a HPS from start to finish. No problems. The worst it could hurt is make the plants a hair stretchier. With your tight internodal growth you might prefer that. Fans and controlling the enviroment (air, heat, humidity) are the key to growing indoors. You have to be able to cool a room that's too hot and warm a too cold room. You have to be able to make the room windy or calm as well. 2'x4' is a very small space for a 400 mh or HPS and your "GOING TO HAVE TO" be able to suck that heat out of that area and keep it out. That means either coolng it down bfore it re-enters the room or exhausting it out of the area totally like outside. If you cannot do that you might as well stop because you will be wasting time and money.

How about light cycle w/ new sprouts and survivors??

Thanks again more of my questions; from some place growing was not necessary. became very spoiled and wanting to learn.

Thank you for all the info and direction I will keep postings to my hopeful sucesses thanks to all the great advise. Maybe some pics if they are not too humililating!!!
Any advice, keep it coming, the web links are great also.

Back
Top Bottom