No Better Time to End Cannabis Prohibition

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
After staring down the barrel at California’s $43 billion budget deficit for the past several months, rookie San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano last week introduced legislation to legalize and tax marijuana. A self-described “martini guy,” Ammiano rightfully identifies California and the nation’s number-one cash crop as a great revenue generator during a time when: “We’re all jonesing now for money.” The time appears near for legalizing and regulating cannabis in all its forms and uses.

Seventy-two years ago during the nation’s last great economic crisis, Harry Anslinger, as Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, led the charge to replace alcohol prohibition with cannabis when FDR signed into law the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. Tragically, this Act also led to the demise of the highly versatile industrial cannabis crop , aka hemp, with the last known legal US hemp crop farmed in Wisconsin in 1957.

Today, science has increasingly shown the incredible value of the species Cannabis Sativa L. which can be used as a medicine, in food, in textiles, building materials, and as an energy source. But, for years,we mostly heard it stigmatized as a “gateway drug.” Yet cannabis is no more of a gateway drug than alcohol, tobacco, or sugar—and studies have shown it is far less harmful than these when used recreationally. Indeed, the time has come for a more sensible drug policy and Ammiano’s legalization bill is a great first step.

The opposition will no doubt be fierce. John Lovell, a zealous lobbyist for the California Narcotics Officers Association and myriad other state law enforcement agencies, rarely meets defeat in opposing legislation, and you know he’s on this like flies on…. From 2005-07, I experienced first-hand going up against Lovell. On behalf of the hemp industry, I helped shepherd then Assemblyman Mark Leno’s hemp legalization bills through the legislature only to watch them unceremoniously vetoed twice by Lovell’s buddy Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

While 2009 is no comparison economically to 2007, legalizing all forms of cannabis is much less innocuous than legalizing hemp. Handled adeptly, Ammiano’s foray just might pay off, and in multiple ways.

Just take a look at the projected numbers. By some reasonable accounts, if this legislation becomes law the state would save $1.7 billion annually by eliminating cannabis enforcement and incarceration while generating $1 billion annually from taxation. Add in the revenues and jobs generated from industrial cannabis farming and manufacturing, and the bill would seem to have legs. In fact, Ammiano is already garnering support from the right. Build a large enough coalition, Ammiano, and this bill will be formidable.

Back in the 70s, Schwarzenegger enjoyed smoking his cannabis. Yet he conveniently forgot his affinity for the plant when vetoing the hemp bills. Later this year, redemption might be in the offing if Ammiano is successful in moving his timely legislation through the legislature to the Governor’s desk. To do so, he will need to shake loose the grip of Lovell and the old drug warriors. Read the tea leaves Arnold: the cannabis plant’s time has come.

Kindly terminate Ansliger and Lovell’s tired zealotry in California thereby returning rationality to our drug and agriculture policy. Sign Ammiano’s bill, Governor, and help end the cannabis prohibition now.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: FogCityJournal.com
Author: Patrick Goggin
Copyright: 2009 FogCityJournal.com
Website: No Better Time to End Cannabis Prohibition | Fog City Journal

I was talking to someone today who was convinced that pot will be legal on the federal level within 14 months. He really couldn't give any reasons why, or any hard evidence to support his claim, so I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way. I really don't think it's going to happen that soon, but I will be one of the first people dancing :slide: in the street if it does.

What do you guys think? Have you heard anything similar to this Assemblyman's proposal recently in your area? Will pot be legal within the next 14 months?

I find it encouraging that the right is backing Ammiano as typically I would expect only the left to be behind this issue. Not being from California, I can't say how people are viewing this bill, but I think it will be legalized soon enough that it boosts the economy before the next election. 14 months sounds like a good time period, at least for certain states. Maybe not federal, but within a year its legal somewhere.

one thing is for sure , I / WE really need to beable to farm INDUSTRIAL HEMP no)W! THe jobs are needed, as well as the benefits, can't wait to make DUPONT obsolete. Almost Everything that DUPONT currently manufuacters, besides the chemicals, can be made with hemp. I have a 300 acre farm that is begging me to hemp it. THe crazy thing is the prohibition, and they think the plant is volatile, but the $$$ for prohibtion and the lives ruined is the volatile thing.

thats for sure!! there are soooo many things you can make with hemp :peace:

so is it up to governor arnold to make the bill a proposition so the people can vote?

If it passes through the Assembly, the big blockhead could sign it into law. If he vetos the bill it would need to be passed by the state senate to become law (I think??).

Propositions are also done by citizens signing a petition to get it on the ballot.

All I want is Obama to give the States the right to choose if they want to allow marijuana to be sold and regulated in their states. Once they see the cash all of the states are making they are going to allow it. If Obama can do this within 18 months we will see it completely regulated by the end of his second term. If Illinois passes Medical Marijuana Act HB2514 I am going to offer free gardening classes to card holders and maybe retire early and start giving back to card holding Seniors :smokin: Herb will be legal if there is a God

Back
Top Bottom