Noobie w/dumb feeding question

BudManDan

Total "noob" here starting first hydro grow and have question on feeding.....Have read to feed/flood 3-4 times per day....is this just during the time that the light is on or is this during a 24 hr. time period? I am using a Ebb & Grow system. Also, where can I get some test strips to check ph? I looked at Wally World and the lowest any of the testing stuff I found (aquarium/pool) only measure down to 6.0 Is there any other places to get a ph test kit w/out ordering online or going to one of the big hydro stores? Thanks!

Best,
Dan

Re: Noobie w/dumb feeding question....

Total "noob" here starting first hydro grow and have question on feeding.....Have read to feed/flood 3-4 times per day....is this just during the time that the light is on or is this during a 24 hr. time period? I am using a Ebb & Grow system. Also, where can I get some test strips to check ph? I looked at Wally World and the lowest any of the testing stuff I found (aquarium/pool) only measure down to 6.0 Is there any other places to get a ph test kit w/out ordering online or going to one of the big hydro stores? Thanks!

Best,
Dan

Hey Dan, you can check out pet dumb store around you and see if they have the ph up/down kit. It should include the up and down liquid needed along with an small test container for the water. The bottle with the solution that you check the ph has a chart on it that you use to verify the ph of the water. That is what I have been using for the last three weeks. I would like to know where you read to feed/flood the res 3-4x daily. This is new to me but I just noticed that my res's don't stay ph balance long at all. I mean, I just changed my water 8hrs ago and now it is reading a ph of 7 or above. Maybe that's why what you read said what it did say. Wish I could be of more help. :peacetwo:

Hello Voltron! I will go and check the local pet store for a ph kit. When I mentioned feed/flood I was refering to when my plants get flooded/fed each day. From what I have read, ph in hydro has a tendency to want to climb or go higher. If I understand correctly, it is due to the plants using water and nutes which changes the levels that were originally measured out and needs to be compensated by topping off the resivor. Hopefully someone will jump in here and clarify what is happening. Well, I am off to the pet store! Thanks for taking the time to help out a rookie! If I read or find anything out that may be of help to you, I will certainly pass it along:blunt:

BudManDan - I'm guessing you have an ebb&flow system?

Yes, keep the cycles regular over 24hrs. You might want to look through some of the old grow journals, just search ebb&flow or ebb&grow or CAP.

I'd HIGHLY reccomend checking out eseason gear and get the Milwalkee PH meter for $20... it's online, but it's just a scientific store.

Some health stores will also carry PH kits - it's good to have a backup anyway to any electronic meter... but you will get tired of the strips.

Hello OBXGardner! Thanks for the scoop on the ph tester! That is exactly in my price range right now and will see about getting one this week. I found a liquid test kit to get started with. Yes, I am using an ebb & flo w/12 grow buckets. Just got it all set up and plants cycling in it as of about 3 hours ago. Very excited to get it started as this is my first legal med-grow. Total rookie at this indoor hydro stuff, but did take a "class" to learn the very basics of what I needed, done a bit of research on line and then done some looking at grow room set ups and converted a spare bedroom in the basement to my grow room. Will have to take some pic's and figure out how to post them. Thanks again for the info on the ph meter!

Hello OBXGardner! Thanks for the scoop on the ph tester! That is exactly in my price range right now and will see about getting one this week. I found a liquid test kit to get started with. Yes, I am using an ebb & flo w/12 grow buckets. Just got it all set up and plants cycling in it as of about 3 hours ago. Very excited to get it started as this is my first legal med-grow. Total rookie at this indoor hydro stuff, but did take a "class" to learn the very basics of what I needed, done a bit of research on line and then done some looking at grow room set ups and converted a spare bedroom in the basement to my grow room. Will have to take some pic's and figure out how to post them. Thanks again for the info on the ph meter!

Go look at PitViper's old journals... he's been running an ebb&flow for years. I know there's been lots of discussions about the various settings... I've never run one, so I'm not the best person to be giving advice...

You should do fine though, from what I've seen, those buckets grow some great plants.

Glad to see your getting started on your grow Dan! make sure you post you journal so I can follow your grow and steal some ideas from you. Hopefully in the near future I will jump into hydro myself.

Back
Top Bottom