Novice grower with some much needed help!

Chaos6659

420 Member
I am a novice grower with some years under my belt. But after a long break growing I'm back at it again. But along with my rusty growing hands, I've come across a problem I can't identify. I'm growing some gcubz and skittlez og and they're exhibiting signs of either burn or some nute deficiency. I'm using sensi grow a and b at 4ml per liter, which totals out to about 48 ml of each for my 3 gallon reservoir buckets. I'm following instructions carefully but still having some trouble.

20220727_165108.jpg

20220727_165043.jpg

20220727_165029.jpg

20220727_165016.jpg

I am a novice grower with some years under my belt. But after a long break growing I'm back at it again. But along with my rusty growing hands, I've come across a problem I can't identify. I'm growing some gcubz and skittlez og and they're exhibiting signs of either burn or some nute deficiency. I'm using sensi grow a and b at 4ml per liter, which totals out to about 48 ml of each for my 3 gallon reservoir buckets. I'm following instructions carefully but still having some trouble.

20220727_165108.jpg

20220727_165043.jpg

20220727_165029.jpg

20220727_165016.jpg
Hey @Chaos6659 :ciao: welcome to 420Magazine my friend :welcome:
Are you putting calmag in your res before Nutrients?
Are you running your ph at 5.8?
What is temp of res water?
Temp of room and rh?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Hey thanks for the response and warn welcome! I'm using RO water with a final ppm of about 36 parts per millionth. My PH is running at 6.0. I'm not using cal mag because I was worried it would mess with the PH perfect nutrients. Room humidity is about 45 percent at 78 Fahrenheit. Res water Temps at 70 Fahrenheit. I have had some algae in my system and will be switching to all black this week to prevent that in the future but I don't think that's quite the issue.

You need Cal-Mag! RO systems strip all the minerals out of the water, and unless your Sensi nutes have added Ca, it'll be deficient. @Bill284 has a great system for mixing Cal-Mag/nutes. Add calmag to your water, wait 15 minutes, add your nutes, wait another 15 minutes, then PH the solution to 5.8. Best of luck, welcome to the Forum!!

Hey thanks for the response and warn welcome! I'm using RO water with a final ppm of about 36 parts per millionth. My PH is running at 6.0. I'm not using cal mag because I was worried it would mess with the PH perfect nutrients. Room humidity is about 45 percent at 78 Fahrenheit. Res water Temps at 70 Fahrenheit. I have had some algae in my system and will be switching to all black this week to prevent that in the future but I don't think that's quite the issue.
Phyto :ciao: called it, your ro water needs calmag.
Res temp seems a touch high.
But your ppm should be in the 1000 ppm range, ish.
Everything else seems OK.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

If you want to say hi and meet everyone here is a link

Thanks for the advice. I just lowered my res temp and advanced nutrients sensi grow a and b do have calcium and magnesium but if conditions don't improve within the week I may change to an organic fertilizer and include cal mag.

Thanks for the advice. I just lowered my res temp and advanced nutrients sensi grow a and b do have calcium and magnesium but if conditions don't improve within the week I may change to an organic fertilizer and include cal mag.
I would start by getting some additional cal-mag and supplement the Sensi, (like at 50%) Sensi has decent amounts of cal-mag, but you might need more, normally there is natural Ca and Mg in the water, RO strips it out, so you have to overcome that too.

Thanks so much for all the help. I've never ran into a cal mag deficiency during veg so this seemed alien to me. This is my first time using leds as well so the extra cal mag uptake is finally starting to make sense. I will update with photos as soon as I change my reservoirs and add the cal mag!

20220727_165108.jpg

20220727_165043.jpg

20220727_165029.jpg

20220727_165016.jpg
Kind of looks like pH problem

Kind of looks like pH problem
That's what I thought too but my system hasn't fluctuated past 6.0 or under 5.8. I was using food grade white buckets and found excess algae growing on roots which has recently been solved. One more week and I'll know for sure. It's looking like problem solved since I lowered Temps yesterday and lined my containers with black plastic and cleaned. Room temp, rh, res temp, ppm, everything looks perked up now and new growth immediately resumed. I'll use cal mag at a teaspoon per gallon until the stress let's up.

That's what I thought too but my system hasn't fluctuated past 6.0 or under 5.8. I was using food grade white buckets and found excess algae growing on roots which has recently been solved. One more week and I'll know for sure. It's looking like problem solved since I lowered Temps yesterday and lined my containers with black plastic and cleaned. Room temp, rh, res temp, ppm, everything looks perked up now and new growth immediately resumed. I'll use cal mag at a teaspoon per gallon until the stress let's up.
Some plants are more sensitive

I don't grow coco or hydro, because my water is terrible, high Ca, Fe, Mg, Mn, as well as Boron and a few other things (ppm's right out of the faucet can be as high as 2400 ppm's and average over 1000 ppm's, with a PH of about 7.2). In soil, I do tend to float my PH a little, 6.2 to 6.8 alternating feeds. Coco/hydro is quite a bit a more sensitive to PH/ppm's.

I don't grow coco or hydro, because my water is terrible, high Ca, Fe, Mg, Mn, as well as Boron and a few other things (ppm's right out of the faucet can be as high as 2400 ppm's and average over 1000 ppm's, with a PH of about 7.2). In soil, I do tend to float my PH a little, 6.2 to 6.8 alternating feeds. Coco/hydro is quite a bit a more sensitive to PH/ppm's.
I feel that, I’ve tried it all. I have well water that is absolutely terrible. With my RO filter I still have to use zero water filters to get true zero ppm. Then I use AN sensi grow a and b along with b52. I finally dialed in my problem this afternoon and the bright leds were so penetrative that algae caused some root rot issues. All under control now and the ladies look perky today! I’m usually more careful about these things too. It explains higher ph at night and nutrients being locked out. I dimmed my lights to about 75 percent as well. The old damage will be removed once I get another 2 sets of new growth that looks steady.

E641F038-6DC4-48BD-A56A-A522BBF215DB.jpeg

15D092C8-01F2-4D63-8E59-C31267B7BCE0.jpeg

3401194F-B526-4B25-A890-2C0EA8C2D5AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom