Oh no! Wife didn't know we lost power - Can they be saved?

Foodeefish

I was in the 8th day of flowering and I had to go out of town. My wife did not know that the surge protector flipped when a storm came through and my babies had no lights or no fans for four days. She kept feeding them as I asked here and the basement was plenty humid, but know I'm thinking they might Hermie on Me.

Some of the tops are light green but I am thinking that's cause no lights for 4 days.

Anything I can do or should do?

:Namaste:

I was in the 8th day of flowering and I had to go out of town. My wife did not know that the surge protector flipped when a storm came through and my babies had no lights or no fans for four days. She kept feeding them as I asked here and the basement was plenty humid, but know I'm thinking they might Hermie on Me.

Some of the tops are light green but I am thinking that's cause no lights for 4 days.

Anything I can do or should do?

:Namaste:

That shouldn't hurt them, but I'm pretty sure you'll lose whatever growth they would have had in those days. They produce the flowering hormone when it's dark, so they didn't start to reveg. AFAIK, the only light stress they can get is if they get some light when it should be dark.

Just out of curiosity, how did she feed them and not see the lights were out?

Was she working with a green light at the time or something- how could she see her way around?
I think the plants will be fine. Digital timers (get a good one) are very handy for this sort of thing.
Curious about how your wife is working around the dark period though. Light leaks do cause hermies.

My wife really knows little about the grow and She knew that the lights are on a timer- that's basically what she knew, so when and if the lights were on or off, she thought she was feeding them when they were sleeping. She was feeding them in the morning and She thought the lights were going to turn on for the day sometime around when she was finishing watering,

On another note, if my grow tent is in my basement and the only light it could possibly get at night is indirect moonlight from a window way in the back of the basement, would these tiny pinholes in my tent really affect it to going Hermie? Should I drape a dark piece of cloth over the tent so absolutely no light gets in? Do I really need to make it 100% dark?

You'll hear conflicting opinions on this stuff. I really don't think the moonlight through pinholes that you're describing is an issue at all. But generally life would be easier if your tent was totally lightproof - in case you want to flip on the lights sometime and use the basement at night or something.
Some strains, depending on their background, are more genetically unstable than others. Some plants will hermie no matter what you do. Others can go through hell and stay true. It's been my direct experience over the years that light leaks do cause hermies. Cracks around the door and those red 'on' indicator lights on electrical appliances have caused me trouble.
I think your plants will be fine at this point as long as you try and keep the schedule consistent now.
You can work safely in the dark period with a green light. I use a green led headlamp.

Thanks to all of You, she's back on track and growing pretty well. I'm hoping her buds start to fill out as she looks a bit thin.

Back
Top Bottom