Opinions on my planned 6x6 set up

Kburn

Currently I have a 3x3 tent with a 400 watt hps setup in a 6" air cooled hood but i plan to expand to a larger tent really soon. So far ive already purchased a 76"x76"x76" tent now I just need the equipment. I want to do it right the first time and get the most efficient set up possible.

Ive narrowed it down to:
2x 1000 JD Lighting digital ballasts
2x Hortilux bulbs
Hoods?

What air cooled Hoods would be the best go with when using 2 lights in a square area? Cool tubes or a large square reflectors? Ive thought about light movers but this it pretty much at my budget right now so that would have to come later. If theres a way to cover this much area with just a big reflector id rather do that. I already have two 6" axial fans to cool these off also.

I also need a fan/carbon filter. I currently have the 4" version of this fan in my 3x3 tent and havent had a problem so far. Im thinking of just buying this one unless theres another set up out there thats better?

6" fan and Filter combo

Any input would be appreciated.

My set up is a 39 x 39 x 79 tent with a 400w mh/hps. I suggest you get a light that can run both also, or your looking at the added expense of another light hood and ballast. 2000w will also generate alot of heat, so you might want to think about a portable ac unit, and inline duct fans. Not the fans that you have hooked up to your carbon filter, but a fan that can be fitted into your duct lines for an added boost to the air flow. As far as the light, Id get a iPower off of Amazon. My boy that grows big uses those, and they are bad ass. They have the vent holes for running the ducting through the light to vent the heat out. Im about to get an old one from him in the next few days, so thats my recommendation. As far as a portable ac unit goes, home depot or lowes has them. You would also want to get a thermostat to set the ac unit to go on and off with the temps. Two vent fans would also be wise too, as 2kw will really heat that space up. Set them up on opposite sides of the grow area, and then connect them with a T-fitting right before they exit the grow space. I could go on forever. This all just my opinion, I could be wrong.

The ballasts he plans on using are switchable :thumb: Even if they weren't you don't have to use MH to veg you can veg fine with HPS but you gave sound advice. As far as the fans you're describing it sounds like your talking about duct "boosters" and i put that in paranthesis because that's just what they are a "boost" to help out a main fan with a longer duct run...a duct booster is crap for moving enough air by itself... You DO need the kind that hook to the carbon filter; such as vortex, CAN, etc. ( Which ARE inline duct fans) to get a decent amount of air moving through the light hoods to help cool... I also agree with the AC unit you're definately going to need that... Atleast 8,000 btu but personally I'd go with 10,000 because each 1000w generates almost 4,000 btu of heat... so 4,000x2= 8k and that's just to counter-act the heat the lights put off...figure in another 2,000 btu of cooling because it's getting to be summer time... I'm not sure where you're located ( don't want to know either) but unless it's somewhere that stays fairly cool you're going to want that extra Btu on your unit... As far as how to duct your 1kw's is up to you... Take into consideration you don't want to suck out all the cool air your AC unit is producing... Personally I'd have them on their own duct loop like this
outside of tent>duct>hood>duct>hood>outside of tent/grow space....So the cool air stays inside the tent where you need it...

Back
Top Bottom