Pain Medication or Cannabis?

rookies8

Ok so i don't smoke but my husband does. it don't bother me that he does. he suffers from chronic ptsd and back pain (army vet) and it helps him alot. they had him on oxycotin. we went through 2 weeks of hell when he was coming off of it. what gets me is that they can legalize this, something that when you go through withdrawls nearly kills a person and criples a family but they can't legalize something that grows natural and to be honest he does not have withdrawls when he don't smoke it. and it really helps him. but no government would rather let people get hooked on hydros, oxys etc... then legalize something that would really help. go figure. sorry just venting because that kind of stupidity really ticks me off.

Re: oxycotin or bud

Amen. So many of those prescription drugs are toxic and life-ruining.

Little by little, it seems the laws are getting better. Michigan and Massachusetts have just welcomed weed as legal (or "less illegal"). Here in LA I can wander down the block and get weed from a clean, friendly, affordable co-op in my local mini-mall.

The culture is starting to see the truth. Baby steps....

oxycotton is the worst drug out there right now. if you didnt know its heroine. you can addicted to it the first time you do it. i recommend you stay away from it, unless you just had a major surgury.

@ no small expense to my meager ssdi budget and health, in 2006, I relocated to the SF Bay from my home of 7 years in the midwest,to get away from the nightmare of opioid tx, and most of all be able to purchase/produce my mmj w/o depending on some quasi-legalized "miracle" or having to be a property owner, like the other mmj states sadly are, or so it seems. It feels good!

@ no small expense to my meager ssdi budget and health, in 2006, I relocated to the SF Bay from my home of 7 years in the midwest,to get away from the nightmare of opioid tx, and most of all be able to purchase/produce my mmj w/o depending on some quasi-legalized "miracle" or having to be a property owner, like the other mmj states sadly are, or so it seems. It feels good!
glad you are happy with your move. i'm not far behind you. its a matter of tying up loose ends.
:smokin:

The war on drugs is all based on a huge profit scheme involving, pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and investors. By keeping cannabis illegal, the fat cats profit billions of dollars yearly peddling their sythetic garbage and dangerous chemicals. Overall the medical profession, mainly doctors are not interested in your healing but your treatment which profits them and the drug dealing companies that provide kickbacks for them being their distributers ( drug dealers) My advice to anyone is to keep off their products. Use what God put here natrually for us. Man does not have the athority to say what can and can not be used.

glad you are happy with your move. i'm not far behind you. its a matter of tying up loose ends.

Choose locale wisely unless you come for the fight. If not L.A. county to Santa Barbara, then Santa Cruz county north to del Norte county, west of I-5 pretty much. All things considered, not a large part of the state geographically is really pro mmj and frankly the larger counties and cities to the south are hellbent against it, as I'm sure you've read.
As much as I love the Bay Area, frankly, being retired and on a budget, I'd much prefer the area around Lake Havasu/Needles for my wallet and my health, but that is yet to be advisably safe and perhaps not to be.
Safe journey!
:bong:

I was on Oxcontin..Xanax..Several other useless opiates that only got me addicted. Cannabis treats my pain like nothing else.
Bro I can relate took a year and a half of methadone to get off that oxycontin,subsaquently it runned my first marriage too. And yes it was prescribied by a medical proffesional.He said it was not that addictive according to the manufacture study.That wonderful little man made chemical turned me into its slave,I had to have it. Been clean going on four years now.Glad prop-1 is there for me now. I dont have to a criminal now.
:allgood:

i choose cannibus for my pain for many reasons, and most can agree. well first of all WTF is up with the doctors prescribing everyone a pill to fix every problem they have, especialy the tylonal codine. thanks to that drug and its many relatives my parents are damn near vegitables now (and not through abuse), it was (and still is) what the doctor ordered. the part that realy hurts is that their only in there 50's. i have all the same problems as my parents and a few more that were self inflikted and i treat all with marijauna, and you know what all is good for me most of the time. and the bestest part about that is it wont kill me in the long run.!yay! why other poeple dont see this point of view beats the hell outta me, i still dont understand what is sooooo damn special about legalized heroien (oxycotin) when all its doing is destroying your body and mind behind your back.
:roorrip:

^^ sorry to hear about your parents... you should try to educate them on the most useful plant on the planet. Everyone on here already knows that its not legal because so many companies would be out of business and police out of eradication money. But what they dont realize is how much money they COULD be making off it being legal. So much more money would be coming INTO our economy then going OUT to enforce the prohibition.

Chronic Pain from an accident 11 years ago> I was using Vicodens, Flexerall, then onto Bextra, Celebrex, and Vioxx> They were removed from the market> but switching to use cannabis as a sole provider was a choice that I cherish and preserve

nd another thing about prescription drugs is the how they are always waiting for something bad to happen before they relize it has too many flaws and 'recall' it to start over again.
my parents and thousands more beleive this is okay, even though its at thier expense. i dont understand this. and never once have i ever heard about MMJ being recalled for any reason. and yet its an evil drug that can poteitialy harm anyone who consumes it.
sorry everyone i am simply frustrated with this and like many others i just dont understand how people beleive this stuff.
smoke. be free. be happy:grinjoint::yummy:

I agree with many here about the toxicity of painkillers. vicodin, oxycodone, morphine, DO have their place though. I'm not trying to side with pharm companies, but, I can say this, if it wasn't for morphine during my periformis spasm from a herniated disc at L5 S1 and chronic sciatica pain all the way down to the tip of my toes ,I wouldn't get thru a night. this pain does not stop! IT's chronic, debilitating and incapacitating in every aspect! I used to be a pro athelete, not anymore, I now have to take these PK just to get thru my day, the pain would be unbearble. I have gone thru 1. PT 2. Acupuncture 3. Chiro. 4 . surgery not an option 5. Yoga . NONE of these came close to "HEALING" my problems. There is a pill though that DOES help and allows me to get thru my day as a house painter. If it werent for this, as I am dependant in this pill, like someone is with crutches, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't beable to climb ladders. there is a difference between "ADDICTION" and "DEPENDANCE". Addiction is about abuse of substances , whether you need them or not. Dependance is about having to use this substance for the greater benefit of the substance to get from point A to point B and not abuse it. Cannabis helps to keep the amount of pills one has to take , down. for some , it can help you to get off the narcotics, for others, it just helps to take less, and maybe helps nausea from the pills and increases appetite. Medical cannabis is definatly a precious gift and I will always cherish it, but in the same sentence , painkillers allow a lesser "DISEASED" life of which I can get thru my day without having to be worried about my pain all the time.

Mi too sennts as a registered medical patient

I was in an accident 11 1/2 years ago at the age of 34 which ended my career, my life as I knew it, and has destroyed my body and mind. I am a chronic pain patient and was on many of the typical meds to control severe pain, Oxycontin, Morphine, Methadone, Fentanyl, and Valium for anxiety. Since I was on such high doses of Opiates, I've had permanant memory loss, as well as having to make a routine "hospital run" several times a year because of complications with my meds. This last April, I had an extremely successful Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation which took care of all of my pain. I was able to stop taking all of my meds except Valium. Several months after my successful surgery, I found out that I had Fibromyalgia, another very painful condition. I never wanted to go back on Opiates again. But the pain is just too intense. I am now taking Subutex to control my pain, and asked my Dr. if I could try Cannabis instead of taking Valium all the time. He said yes, and I immediately went down to a local dispensary to get some Cannabis and give it a try. It's been 7 months now, and I have only had to take Valium a few times. It also seems to help my Fibro Pain as well. It's a shame that Cannabis is not more widely recommended for use as pain control and anxiety. It has so few adverse effects as opposed to all of the Opiates prescribed out there. I guess I'm lucky enough to live in a state that it is legal to use for medical purposes. (Ca) So as an experienced Opiate medication user, I would definately choose trying Cannabis before going on stronger, addictive meds that most Drs. push today. I've been through full withdrawls 5 times during my Opiate useage, and my heart goes out to anyone who has experienced the same withdrawl symptoms. It's not fun! So I give Medical Marijuana a thumbs up if you are able to at least try it instead of ant Opiates. Stace​

I agrre on so many levels. I am a 40 year old ironworker who has worked in the field for over 20 yrs. I have basicaly worked my body too death. I have had back surgerys, and knee and knee replacement surgerys. They put me on lorytabs 10 and they now want me too take oxy, i wont do the oxys and i have not taking a pill in over a year, i hate what they doo too me. I have been smoking weed my whole life and it is the only thing that helps my pain. I would have too take 3 or 4 of those 10's and by then I could not function, so what good is that. Living here in KY, it is almost imposible too go too a doctor and not get pills, i hate it. I will smoke my pot till I die, and encourage all too ditch the pills and switch too the good med, weed. Piece too all.
:passitleft: :hippy:

the doctor here had me on lortabs, vidicon, percocet, methadose... i was going balistic for wanting more pills... it like was eating my brains out... after a month of not using pain pills... i was back to my normal self.. smoking marijuana helps me get rid of my pains...

i have been fighting chronic pain due to a broken back (L-5) now i have cancer too. my doc told me i wont git addicted to oxycontin and dilaudid since i have cancer pain. after 9 months of radiation my tumor shrunk enough to quit the pain pills. immediately went into acute withdrawal symptoms after quiting all pain pills. i have found that for sever pain a combination of mmj + some pain pills together works best. but i can not take pain pills all the time like i can medicate with mmj all the time with no side effects.

Kudos to Tintala :clap:

i could not agree with you more. i have many of the conditions you have as well as some additional ones, and i also use medical grade cannabis in conjunction with a variety of types of pharmaceuticals from opiates to benzo-diazepenes to muscle relaxants to anti-viral/chemos and other things for a symbiotic effect which definitely helps decrease the amount of the various pharmaceuticals i need. it is not an all or nothing type of option. it seems like a war of the two worlds when i read so many of the comments on here. there is no such thing as one size fits all.

furthermore, i have to say, i find people lump all medications into the category of opiates wrongly so. among others, valium, xanax, and klonopin, for example, are all benzo-diazepenes which can also cause withdrawls of their own, but they are anti-anxiety medications which are used to treat chronic pain as chronic pain is a disease in and of itself of the central nervous system and causes anxiety at minimum if not severe panic attacks. moreover, oxycontin/oxycodone is not one step from heroin. morphine is actually much closer. the strongest opiates for pain are morphine, fentanyl, and methadone. the latter being actually the strongest pain medicine; however, for me, it only helps with the nerve pain. since i cannot use any of the anti-convulsants which are used to prevent/treat nerve pain like neurontin, lamictal, and depakote for example due to the side effects they cause, i use methadone. nonetheless, cannabis has made a tremendous addition to my pharmaceutical regimen.

might i also give you another point for distinguishing between addiction and physical/biological dependency which occurs with many medications other than opiates. again, it is not a black and white issue. there are many shades of grey. thanks for being the first person i have come across to stand up and state it so. moreover, because it is all shades of grey, there are many people who are fortunate enough not to need the pharmaceuticals at all. i think it is a matter of each person's medical history, medical diagnosisses, and other therapeutical modalities available to help control their pain and their illnesses. i meditate and get acupuncture treatments as well to help manage my situation.

i understand many people have become victims to prescribed drugs not without the intention of becoming an addict, but if oxycontin can be replaced by medical cannabis alone, i question whether the oxycontin/oxycodone were the appropriate choices to begin with in all honesty. they were probably the wrong treatment to start, but, then again, i only know from my own experience which has been going on for over 30 years of my 38 years of life.

anyways, again a big kudos to you Tintala for what you said. it made me finally write out everything i have been saying to myself while reading these boards over the years...thanks for giving me the courage to finally speak my mind. i have no agenda here other than to clarify some of the clouded perceptions i am reading. i respect everybody's right to do with their body what they feel is best right down to good old roe v. wade! take care, be well, and stay well to all!
:clap::peace::adore:;)

Back
Top Bottom