Paper Or Soil: What's Best For Germinating Seeds?

grow boy420

This is one of the really controversial topics among growers but it shouldnt be. There are quite a few ways that nature allows for germination of seeds. Some are perhaps more full proof than others, but all things being "not equal" and every grower having quite different logical metrics for doing what they do when growing..there is bound to be a ton of variety in each growers methods.

Many people have great success just putting seeds directly into the grow medium, and others who try this method have nothing but heartache as they wait day after day for their lovlie ladies to pop to the surface. The problem with using soil or directly planting into any other medium directly is that no matter how careful the grower is with applying moisture or how deep they plant the seeds..there will be a few unknowns in this method.

Pathogens within the soil can easily damage the seed before it can even sprout; you would need to purchase sterile soil rather than use your own natural garden bed. Soil density can be a problem as well since seeds need an aerated environment so that air and moisture can move freely through the substrate. Even placement of the seeds can cause failed seedlings in the soil; seeds planted too deeply will have problems trying to reach the surface for sunlight.

For me the useage of well rinsed paper towels properly folded and some presoaked seeds (12-14 hours) which are carefully placed in a sealed bag in a drawer with a heated rice sock..seems to work every time..well almost every time.

While i have used the direct pla ting method many times with great success, i still find that if i am trying to germ 5 very expensive seeds i bought from a seed distributer and waited patiently for..i find myself trusting the paper towel methods to be a bit more reliable.

That being said, almost all of my failed seed germinations have been due to my own errors ..not the seeds themselves. Good luck with however you choose to get the girls growing!

xgrainesportada_1200x500.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TtogQXzhkd.jpg

After a series of failures with the paper towel method I gave it up and now go directly from floating and sinking in a cup of water, to soil, one inch deep and pointy end down. Yes, it is incredibly stressful waiting for those seeds to pop, but it seems to be a fairly reliable method. When I see one that fails to come up, I remind myself that even on the paper towel, there were some that just didn't make it... so I don't let that stress me out, and I tell myself that I just eliminated a step where problems could occur. Whatever works for you... that is the correct method to use. :)

After a series of failures with the paper towel method I gave it up and now go directly from floating and sinking in a cup of water, to soil, one inch deep and pointy end down. Yes, it is incredibly stressful waiting for those seeds to pop, but it seems to be a fairly reliable method. When I see one that fails to come up, I remind myself that even on the paper towel, there were some that just didn't make it... so I don't let that stress me out, and I tell myself that I just eliminated a step where problems could occur. Whatever works for you... that is the correct method to use. :)
that is 100 percent true!..i have had terrible luck with soil direct planting..better when i put (sewed) seeds in well rinsed coir and small cups in domes..but 80 to 100 percent in paper then coir cups...towels ad the risk of damaging the tap root from handling so if the soil is relatively clean with a goodly amount of perilite its less hands on and therefore safer for seeds. I would say that soil if done right has a slight edge over the towel then transplant method..to my weird logic anyway! If people practice with their bulk seeds i bet it is more fullproof.

Here’s how I do mine. Works for me.

1. Empty your cannabis seeds into a glass of pure water (distilled, rain or spring). Soak your seeds for 14 to 18 hours. They should sink to the bottom of the glass within the first few hours. If they don’t do so on their own, tap them gently.
  2. At the end of the soaking period, pour the water and seeds onto a layer of paper towel on a plate, and drain off any excess water.
  3. Fold the wet paper towel over the seeds so they are completely covered, and place the plate in a warm, dark space.
  4. Keep the paper towel well-saturated during the germination process, and check your cannabis seeds intermittently, watching for the taproot that will begin to grow.
  5. The seeds are ready for planting when the taproot is 1/4- to 3/4-inch long. This generally takes between three and seven days, but could take up to two weeks.

If u are sure the seeds are fresh and viable (like buying Roc Bud Inc genetics, he puts his website up when he has fresh seeds) all ya need to do is plant 1/2 inch down into the soil. Doesn't matter much if pointy end is down or up, root and seed will orient itself.....Don't plant deeper then 1/2 inch tho, you could theoretically lose that seed due to watering or misting the medium.

If its ordinary seeds (you have no idea how old it is) I do the paper towel method. Moisten it well, fold it over a few times....stick it in a baggie in a warm place (70-80 degrees).
I do this now..I blow some air into the ziplock and seal it then pop it on the heating pad with a folded heavy towel to insulate between the pad and bag..in a drawer..lights out..within 2 days the tap roots are shooting out then into a small plastic shot cup with washed coco coir and into a humidity dome until steaknives show up then I start the hardening off with air introduction and a light fan breeze..once the second set of leaves show up I transplant into small solo cups with my dirt compost and perilite mix..then just keep an eye on them until the constant breeze thickens the stalks..also some lady bugs on the bench will keep spider mites and other pests at bay..I also try to keep one or two zebra spiders on the table..excellent pest control..they don't eat lady bugs..just any gnats

This is what I do. I scarify by agitating the seeds in a tube made from rolling up 120 grit sandpaper, shaking for 60 seconds, then place the seeds to soak in a mix of water with 5% hydrogen peroxide, with a bubbler going, for 18 hours and then I switch to a water and enzyme product mix for the next stretch, followed by putting them on a heating pad inside a clear inverted solo cup and I mist every 20 minutes for the next 24 hours before putting them in a tupperware container with moist paper towel, soaked in rooting gel, at exactly 79°. Once they sprout and the tail is a 1/4” long I put them into rapid rooters inside a bubble dome at 80° and mist every half hour, then I -

just kidding I just sprout the things in damp paper towel and then plant them.

This is what I do. I scarify by agitating the seeds in a tube made from rolling up 120 grit sandpaper, shaking for 60 seconds, then place the seeds to soak in a mix of water with 5% hydrogen peroxide, with a bubbler going, for 18 hours and then I switch to a water and enzyme product mix for the next stretch, followed by putting them on a heating pad inside a clear inverted solo cup and I mist every 20 minutes for the next 24 hours before putting them in a tupperware container with moist paper towel, soaked in rooting gel, at exactly 79°. Once they sprout and the tail is a 1/4” long I put them into rapid rooters inside a bubble dome at 80° and mist every half hour, then I -

just kidding I just sprout the things in damp paper towel and then plant them.
Nature doesn't need sandpaper..but I hear guys do that when they have old seeds with hard shells..if that's the case..I put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the 14 hour soak then paper towels and zip locks.. I've been 100 percent for last 2 years with this method..only caveat is ..be careful handling the seed with a long tap root..easy to kill it if mishandled..

Back
Top Bottom