Peabody's Current Grow-Bubblegum, Northern Lights, Big Bud and White Widow

MisterPeabody

I have all fired up and ready to go. The cabinet modification was a success, and even though it took a few days of planning, and a weekend to implement, I have no regrets. I have been able to go back to the 400 watt Lumatek Digital Ballast, and cab temps are a high of 82 with an evening low of 68 deg.

I have opted this grow to use a Baby Bloomer Ebb and Flow unit. The lower reservoir holds 6 gallons, and is equipped with two pumps. The first pump is for circulation duties only. It pulls nutes from the Baby Bloomer's reservoir into the 1/15hp chiller located next door, then back into the Baby Bloomer. Temp in this reservoir remains between 68-70 deg at all times. If cooling is required upstairs, the 750 GPH pump pushes cooled nutrients from the Baby Bloomer up about five feet into the upper cab. From here it enters a stainless steel mini radiator located in the upper reservoir. From here it flows back down into the chiller where it is cooled and returned to the Baby Bloomer's reservoir. This enables me to utilize two different strength reservoirs (upstairs and down) and do so utilizing only one very small chiller. That was the reason for the 750 GPH mag drive pump as moving the water from the Baby Bloomer up five feet and having enough velocity to return enough volume to the chiller didn't work with a 500 GPH pump.

Pump #2 is a small 100 GPH unit only for flood duties. The pump timing as well as lighting duties are handled by and MDT-1 Master Digital Timer.

The entry's in this grow include Bubblegum, Big Bud (dunno why, but it's the SMALLEST plant I have), Northern Lights and White Widow (one of my favorites). These all began from seeds so we'll get to see together who makes the cut.

From there, mothers will be selected and clones taken. The plan here is to develop a rollover system, where there will be a perpetual supply in three stages.

As with any of you who have delved into the field of small, sealed areas knows first and foremost the #1 issue you will fight is heat. Plain and simple. If it's not 95 deg at the canopy, it was 85 deg in the reservoir. A room grow is hands down much easier to master, and simple proven theories work from one grow in the east and one in the west. In a sealed cabinet, you can throw those simple theories out the window when attempting to utilize HID lighting and keep the contents of the area cool. I cant tell you how many times I wanted to give up with the hydro and go soil. Nonetheless, because I like a challenge and cant stand the word defeat, I prevailed. To this day, i still don't understand how those "ready made" cabs claims to function with HID lighting using a few computers fans.

Anyway, it is over and on to give her a run. Follow along with me and please feel free to offer any suggestions as we are all here to benefit one another!:thanks:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

1899.jpg

2603.jpg

3533.jpg

4401.jpg

5320.jpg

6279.jpg

7236.jpg

8201.jpg

9161.jpg

I'll try and be regular on the updates. This is my first SOG. What i want to achieve this time is sheer weight. So all you pro's that have already laid the path please chime in!:roorrip:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

Aarrggg! Talk about crap luck. Of the four (4) quality seeds I planted, 3 have shown to be male. I guess it's all down to the Northern Lights, as the BigBud, Bubblegum, and White Widow had to go. No room for adolescent males around my virgin ladies.
DSCF8749.JPG
DSCF8756.JPG
DSCF8749.JPG

The color of the roots really cant be appreciated under the yellow HPS lighting. They were a BEAUTIFUL snowy white. I wanted to cry having to get rid of them
DSCF8755.JPG
DSCF8752.JPG

DSCF8752.JPG

DSCF8754.JPG

Now that I only have the Northern Lights to work with, I have focused attention of a few of the plants from bagseed. Two of which, are really a beautiful Indica of some kind. Very short in stature and extremely close spacing between the nodes has caught my eye. I've put the lights back on 18 and 6, and will veg for a few weeks than kick the lights back to 12 and 12 to do a final determination of the rest of the plants as far as gender is concerned
DSCF8757.JPG
DSCF8756.JPG
DSCF8755.JPG

DSCF8757.JPG

Well, that's it for now. Wish me luck on a few of these Indicas being female. Peace:peace:

hey im new here but not to growing. have you given a thought to cloning your plants that you are unsure of the sex and put clones directly under a separate light source say a few CFLs for 12/12. they will sex out quick and then just discard the males. that save the back and forth with the light times and recovery time on the plant. my favorite strain is the NL, thats what brought me to your grow. the SOG fence is a new idea to me. im an old grower bucket of dirt some nutes and lots and lots of love and sunlight(or watts of HPS lol). take care

Slowly catching up on your threads MP :goodjob:

Been a bit since posting progress. The ladies (jury is still out on a few of the bagseed as far as gender is concerned) have really began filling the screen.

DSCF8857.JPG

I'll give in until Friday, then the lights go back to 12 and 12.
DSCF8858.JPG

DSCF8860.JPG

I've taken a dozen clones from the Northern Lights. The rest are hidden in my three gallon bucket, aeroponic spray cloner, mixed among some BetterBoy tomato clones that will be hitting the outdoor garden soon. I keep meaning to post some pictures of it. Though much larger, and unable to fit in the cab cloning chamber, it does root cuttings faster than my Deep Water Culture unit does by several days. I've been unable to design a low profile spray aeroponic unit that didn't heat up the small reservoir too much for comfort due to the heat generated from the pump. 3 gallons seems to be the minimum, and even then, I have on and off times at a ratio of 2 to 1 just to give the reservoir a chance to cool off a bit.
DSCF8862.JPG

PH is kept between 5.8 and 6.2. EC is being kept around 1500-1600. The chiller is dialed in to an even 70. Cab temps are staying in the lower 80's, but house temps are allowed to rise to 82 deg when unoccupied, and 76 deg occupied. I may have to change that program when summer sets in, and due to cost, I'm considering getting a very small 5000 btu Wally World special window AC and mount it on the exterior wall of the closet and keep it in the mid 70's. That would be much cheaper than maintaining my entire household at 76 when nobody is home. Once again, call me cheap. I call it being thrifty. Mom would be so proud:cheer:.....well...maybe not.
DSCF8863.JPG

I've taken two clones from each of the Unknown "keepers", and have then in the aeroponic unit. If your anything like me, be SURE and CLEARLY mark all your clones, ESPECIALLY when dealing with multiple strains. More than once, I have "Forgot" that what can't be forgotten.
DSCF8864.JPG

The Northern Lights is the plant on the far right. My next post, I'll show you the payoff from topping early. That sweet girl on the right will net a potful of nice bud. This strain, at this point and as strong as the mother is, will be with me for a spell.:smokin:

Been a bit since I've posted any pics of my current grow. Of the four quality genetics I grew from seed, the Northern Lights is the only one that ended up female. At about the same time, I planted some hand selected bag-seed, two of which have turned out to be hearty little Indica's of some sort. A very close node spacing has always caught my eye, and these are no exception. I have taken clones from the Northern Lights Female (6) and two of each of the interesting looking Indica's. Lights are 12 and 12 now, and I'm waiting for the remainder to show their gender. Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm on the 2nd week of flowering, and just changed the reservoir and added H&G Multizyme to the normal stew. I had a few questions as to why I put the screen so low-these pictures tell the tail of the tape. There's quite a bit of stretching taking place, and I still believe I'll end up having to tie the tops over as they near the 400 watt HPS light.
DSCF8949.JPG

DSCF8950.JPG

DSCF89571.JPG

DSCF8958.JPG

DSCF89621.JPG

DSCF89641.JPG

DSCF89661.JPG

DSCF89681.JPG

DSCF89711.JPG

:cheer:

yeah your not wrong, i thought the screen was to ensure you cap the height..lol

Everything, to my untrained eye at least is looking good & healthy.

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom