PH balancing distilled vs tap

Bigreen907

Greetings guys,

In case y’all haven’t noticed, I have been posting a lot. I must say, I TOTALLY APPRICIATE the input everyone puts in, along with dealing my newbness.

With that said, I’m trying to find out why it takes so much more to lower PH of tap vs distilled?

So, I was running tap water through my plants..... (NEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRR AGAIN! Lesson learned!)
When I would lower the PH to 5.8-6.2, it would take 2 ML of PH down (for 2 gallons). I live in Anchorage Alaska, and we run hard water through our system and we obtain our water from Eklutna Lake.

I am now running 100% distilled water. But, I put 1ML (for 3 gallons) PH down, and it drops to 3.3.

What a difference! Anyone know what’s up, or is my Ph meter anti distilled water?

Thanks guys!

It's because tap water has nutrients in it. Usually some amounts of calcium, magnesium and others. Tap water can actually be buffered at a certain pH and make it take more ph up or PH down to change it. Distilled water on the other hand actually doesn't have a pH believe it or not its pH neutral. Let me put it this way so it's easy to understand. Let's say your tap water tests with a PPM meter at 150 parts per million. That is going to give it a certain pH right? Depending on what those 150 parts are will be a determining factor in what the pH is. Distilled water has 0 PPM and is not buffered in any way. Now when you stick a pH meter in your distilled water yes, it will show you a pH however since there is 0 parts per million in the water the pH you are actually reading is really not even there. As soon as you pop the cap on a jug of distilled water just the air, CO2 actually,that touches the water will change the water and give it a pH because CO2 gas begins to dissolve in the water and form an acid. Distilled water is pH neutral and if you are feeding your plants distilled water you never want to pH plain distilled water because it is absolutely neutral besides the slight amount of acid that is formed from the CO2 in the air coming into contact with it. There are not enough ions in distilled water alone for a pH meter to function properly. Does that make sense? So the slightest drop of pH up or down you put in distilled water will swing it wildly because it is the only thing dictating the pH whereas your tap water has things in the water to interact with the ph up or pH Down liquid.

It's because tap water has nutrients in it. Usually some amounts of calcium, magnesium and others. Tap water can actually be buffered at a certain pH and make it take more ph up or PH down to change it. Distilled water on the other hand actually doesn't have a pH believe it or not its pH neutral. Let me put it this way so it's easy to understand. Let's say your tap water tests with a PPM meter at 150 parts per million. That is going to give it a certain pH right? Depending on what those 150 parts are will be a determining factor in what the pH is. Distilled water has 0 PPM and is not buffered in any way. Now when you stick a pH meter in your distilled water yes, it will show you a pH however since there is 0 parts per million in the water the pH you are actually reading is really not even there. As soon as you pop the cap on a jug of distilled water just the air, CO2 actually,that touches the water will change the water and give it a pH because CO2 gas begins to dissolve in the water and form an acid. Distilled water is pH neutral and if you are feeding your plants distilled water you never want to pH plain distilled water because it is absolutely neutral besides the slight amount of acid that is formed from the CO2 in the air coming into contact with it. There are not enough ions in distilled water alone for a pH meter to function properly. Does that make sense? So the slightest drop of pH up or down you put in distilled water will swing it wildly because it is the only thing dictating the pH whereas your tap water has things in the waterg to interact with the ph up or pH Down liquid.
Well.... that makes a lot since. I have been PH balancing the water (after my nutes) and have been getting some issues. Like today, I believed I was having Nitrogen Toxcicty and I flushed 3 gallons (through 4 pots) AFTER I PH to 6.2 and now it appears to have made the issue worse. (Picture applied)

My question to you is, do I PH balance after adding nutes? Cause if I don’t, the PH is down around the 4’s after I add nutes. Side note, I am running a coco+perlite mix. With that said, I don’t believe I’m having a over watering issue.
0752626E-433B-4BB1-A783-F03FAE7CE388.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom