PH/TDS Meter Question.

wtfruthinking

Anyone have experience with a good combo or single meter they can recommend? I have the Milwaukee ph 51 but I can't calibrate it to 7.0. It's stuck on 6.3 so I'm assuming its time to replace the electrode which costs well over half the price of the meter itself. I'd like for it to have the automatic feature if possible. I also have the Milwaukee T75 TDS meter.. It's been flashing like crazy so it might be time to say bye bye to it.

Look forward to your replies. Thanks.

:thanks:

How long have you had them? Are they still under warranty?

I've had them for about a year. I don't have the receipts any longer. I think I need to change the probe out but again it costs almost as much as the meter itself. What do you use? :peace:

Most recently a pH53. Experienced no problems. Have heard good things about Milwaukee meters in general. You might try emailing them to see if they'll replace it (or the probe) without a receipt. It's possible that they can go by the serial number and see if the meter is new enough to still be under warranty. I can't remember how long the probe is covered, come to think of it. But you never know until you ask them.

Have had good luck with Milwaukee, bad luck with Hanna, and have not tried Oakton.

I never really even thought about it that way. I'll definitely contact them today. It's worth a shot and it would be great if I can save some cash-o-la!
Thanks for the advice.

oops..forgot. Thanks for the heads up on Hanna. I was 50/50 about it from what I've read from other users. I can at least take that off my list.

:peace:

I'm using the 3 in 1 by controlwizard. Works good: both ph and electrode are replaceable. Quick readout and holds its calibration well.

Anyone have experience with a good combo or single meter they can recommend? I have the Milwaukee ph 51 but I can't calibrate it to 7.0. It's stuck on 6.3 so I'm assuming its time to replace the electrode which costs well over half the price of the meter itself. I'd like for it to have the automatic feature if possible. I also have the Milwaukee T75 TDS meter.. It's been flashing like crazy so it might be time to say bye bye to it.

Look forward to your replies. Thanks.

I have used a Uetech Oakton (79 bucks) for several years. I calibrate it once per grow, and has proven reliable and accurate. I keep the probe wet by setting it in unadjusted RO'd water when not in use. I do the same with my portable EC meter (20 dollar Ebay unit). FOr the main flowering reservoir, I use one that allows for easy monitoring of several required areas. As far as a combo meter is concerned, I use a Nutradip. It reads EC, PH and Temp, three functions I need to know. Good luck in your decision!:reading420magazine:
5326.jpg

:grinjoint:

I just got both ph51 & T75 meters whats the deal with the calibration it says I need a starter solution I did not receive with them. and what can I keep them in. keep probe wet. Any other info on these meters would b of great help
Thanx brotha

I have used a Uetech Oakton (79 bucks) for several years. I calibrate it once per grow, and has proven reliable and accurate. I keep the probe wet by setting it in unadjusted RO'd water when not in use. I do the same with my portable EC meter (20 dollar Ebay unit). FOr the main flowering reservoir, I use one that allows for easy monitoring of several required areas. As far as a combo meter is concerned, I use a Nutradip. It reads EC, PH and Temp, three functions I need to know. Good luck in your decision!:reading420magazine:

Weird. Every manufacturer that I know of (when discussing pH meters with probes of this type) states NOT to store the probe-end in 0ppm distilled/RO water, both in their product literature and when you ask them. And that's not just so they can sell more buffer/storage solution, either. Water like that WILL leach out the probe-end over time.

Are you sure your RO system is producing good (0ppm) water?

Weird. Every manufacturer that I know of (when discussing pH meters with probes of this type) states NOT to store the probe-end in 0ppm distilled/RO water, both in their product literature and when you ask them. And that's not just so they can sell more buffer/storage solution, either. Water like that WILL leach out the probe-end over time.

I have a Milwaukee 802 meter and I had this same question about storing the probe, I called and spoke to Dwayne at tech support with Milwaukee Instruments and he told me the same thing about storing the probe in a half-glass of tap water. I've been doing this now about 6 months, just took the first calibration since I opened from the box and it's still spot-on.

Just offering my experience so far.
SF

When you say "over time", what amount of "time" are you speaking of? 6 months or 6 years? Leaving it "dry" in it's cool little plastic cap has indeed caused me to have to purchase new probes AND meters (BOTH PH AND EC) rather prematurely, ( a relative SHORT time) truth be told. If you leave your probe dry, your asking for problems. Maybe it's my dumb luck. I wont bicker about the ppm of h20, only that I feel it's a helluva lot safer and will keep the calibration much longer and more accurate if NOT stored dry. Keep in mind I didn't manufacture said unit, so I'm not the one responsible for repeat sales.

Here's my disclaimer. From a projected standpoint, follow your manufactures instructions, ESPECIALLY if your under warranty. Personally, I got tired of making the decision to either replace the probe or the meter after anywhere between 6 and 13 months , and which the probe alone indecently cost about as much as the whole fricking meter on it' own, provided your willing to wait to order one in, and it always seems to happen about a week after the warranty expires. Go figure, right? Must be Murphy's Law stuck in a loop. This has happened twice to me. After the 2nd hit, I began placing my probes in h20. That was about 3 years ago, and BOTH are still going strong. Every once in a while, I take a baby tooth brush (soft bristles) and gently clean the probes using distilled water. Contrary to popular belief, If I was the manufacture of said meter, I'd want you to screw it up just as the warranty runs dry, or shortly thereafter. Matter of fact, I think I'd tell you to STORE IT DRY. Why? I know it will shorten the the suggested life anticipation of said meter, insuring I, as said manufacturer won't be in Obama's bread line next year. Or maybe the manufacture will feel differently than I, and want their product to last the remainder of your life, however, I don't think I'd bet the farm on that one, even though it gives me a real marshmellowy feeling thinking it will. This being said, if you choose to store it dry, go for it. I am CERTAINLY not recommending one way or another, only offering an opinion of my first hand experience. In the event you find said meter doesn't seem to last as long as you felt it should, (according to manufactures recommendations) then you might be reminded as to why. Buy another one, after all, it's the American thing to do! (Keeps those Chinese pricks in work) Please keep in mind this is only an opinion, yet the above statement has held water for me for several years. Maybe technology is once again bass-ackwards, but if my Nutradip Tri meter is left OUT of water, it clearly states it will F... it up. Hmmm...maybe they use a different technology in the PH, EC and Temp of their meter? Dunno, but they seem so sure about it they ship the damn thing in what? A cap full of water over the end of the probe. HEY! MAYBE NUTRADIP IS TRYING TO SCREW ME OVER! Maybe their wanting me to screw it up! Wait..that can't be, as they are MEANT to remain in water 24-7. Must be a different animal indeed. Good thing we all have a good sense of humor.

BTW, my RO unit leaves the spicket around 4-6 ppm, with a PH of around 7-8. Seems like it used to be about 2-3 ppm, but I got the filter elements wet since then. I bet if I stored it dry.....never mind... Hehe...Whatever, but nonetheless, it is what it is, and it has kept me from having to replace my last PH and EC meter, and both are almost 3 years old. I calibrate them at the beginning of each flowering session with Ph-7 for the Oakion and the HM Digital EC meter to NaCI 342 solution respectively, and I've checked them against my hydro shop's unit on several occasions just for kicks. After initial calibration of the Nutradip, it should be worry free for some time.

Peace:cheer:

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful and interesting point about storing it in plain water. Get to that in a sec. Just wanted to give an update on what I feel is a life altering decision! :scratchinghead:

Well, I was going to go for the combo until I talked to Milwaukee. 1 probe combo (sm802).
SM802_Milwaukee_Combo_EC_TDS_PH.jpg
The guy told me that they are great, however, the ph probes usually have to be replaced around a year. (note.. "usually") The EC/TDS probes have a life of around 2-3 years before having to be replaced. In summary- it wasn't worth it if I had to replace the ph probe every year while the TDS probe was still kool in the gang. AND I just found out this model has been discontinued. whheew..

I procrastinated long enough and had to just pull the trigger and bought the ph56 from Milwaukee. It's agonizing because I want to make the right decision and have one that works for at least a year without any issues. It's like my mom taking you into to the largest candy store in the entire world with over 6,000 kinds of yummies to choose from and she tells you... "YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE AND THAT'S FINAL"!!!

I upgraded from ph 51 to the ph56 and will try it out and see how it goes.. The specifications are much better and the price isn't that much more expensive.

PH 51 SPECS: **does not compensate for temp

Range of Readings: 0.0 - +14.0 pH
Accuracy: ± 0.1 pH
Calibration: -2 points manual
ph51_meter.jpg

PH 56 SPECS: **automatically compensates for temp**

Range of Readings: -2.00 - +16.00 pH / -5.0 to 60.0 °C
Accuracy @ 20°C: ± 0.05 pH / ± 0.3 &degC
Calibration: 1-2 points automatic
Auto off: after 8 minutes of non-use
:slide::slide::slide::slide:

ph56_good.jpg

I've only heard that you can store in water temporarily if you have nothing else to store it in. I stored the ph51 in solution 4 and Milwaukee said that was ok. I have purchased the storage solution for the ph 56. I'll do whatever the manufacturer says in order to extend the life of this meter. I will try it out today and let all know how it goes.

As for the TDS/EC meter.....................well...let's just say I've been in the candy store for a week now and can't decide which one yet. Suggestions?

:hippy:

5326.jpg

:grinjoint:

So I take it that you are going by EC readings and not PPM? I'd like to make a purchase where it's one or the other. I don't want to take the time to convert. What portable meter are you using now? :grinjoint:

Thanks for the help SF. But still a little confused ph 51 meter. Can I use right out the box, or does it need to be activated in some solution as the instructions say. I prefer experiance over instructions sometimes, and find there is always an easier way to do things. Thanks for the help again

EC does not vary between meters. EC is converted to PPM by different ratios from different manufacturers. So when you are talking PPM, you must also know the conversion factor. EC is always EC.

PPM-EC-C.jpg

Thanks for the help SF. But still a little confused ph 51 meter. Can I use right out the box, or does it need to be activated in some solution as the instructions say. I prefer experiance over instructions sometimes, and find there is always an easier way to do things. Thanks for the help again

Best to "activate." Sometimes there is a build-up of salts on the probe-end (harmless if removed) due to saturations. The soaking procedure will also remove any of that that may be present.

Back
Top Bottom